Read the untranslated law here: http://pravo.gov.ru/proxy/ips/?doc_itself=&infostr=x&backlink=1&fulltext=1&nd=102042006
Expired-the Federal law from 22/08/2004, no. 122-FZ of the RUSSIAN FEDERATION FEDERAL law on the bases of State regulation of the socio-economic development in the North of the Russian Federation adopted by the State Duma May 24, 1996 year approved by the Federation Council of the year June 5, 1996 (as amended by the Federal law of 02.01.2000 N 30-FZ) this federal law establishes a basis for State regulation in the field of economic, social, environmental, cultural and national development in the North of the Russian Federation (further north) and aims to achieve optimal combination of interests of the Russian Federation and constituent entities of the Russian The Federation, whose territory includes North, creation of favorable conditions for effective economic activity, natural resource management, environmental protection Wednesday, ensuring a decent living for the population and sustainable development of the region.
State regulation is done differentially to territories and industries and defines public priorities, climatic conditions, the level of social and economic development in the North.
Article 1. 1 concepts. North-high latitude part of the territory of the Russian Federation, characterized by harsh climatic conditions and high costs of production and livelihood of the population.
2. sustainable development-harmonious development of production, social workers, the public and the environment Wednesday.
3. Areas with uncomfortable living conditions-territory, characterized by a combination of climatic, geographical, socio-economic and medico-biological factors with adverse effects in humans.
4. Areas with limited terms of the importation of the products (goods)-territory, the term transport availability during importation of products (goods) by all modes of transport except air transport less than 180 days. (As amended by the Federal law of 02.01.2000 N 30-FZ)
5. Guarantees and compensations to the population-additional physiological costs and higher costs of living, evolving under the influence of geographical climatic factors and related features of socio-economic development. Guarantees and compensation are designed to attract labor resources, the alignment of the standard of living of the population in the North compared to the average standard of living of the population in the Russian Federation by providing additional benefits and advantages.
6. The indigenous small peoples of the North, the peoples living on the territories of traditional residence of their ancestors, preserving original way of life in Russia, with less than 50 thousand people and conceive themselves separate ethnic communities.
7. The traditional way of life of indigenous peoples of the North is the way of existence, based on the historical experience of their ancestors in the area of environmental management, social organization, the original culture and customs, and religious beliefs.
8. Traditions-historical methods of environmental development Wednesday on the basis of long-term, ecologically balanced use mainly renewable natural resources without jeopardizing the ability of sustainable reproduction and reduce the diversity of natural resources.
Article 2. Regulation 1. Legislation on North based on the relevant provisions of the Constitution of the Russian Federation and consists of this federal law and other federal laws and other regulatory legal acts of the Russian Federation, as well as the laws and other normative legal acts of the constituent entities of the Russian Federation.
2. If an international treaty of the Russian Federation stipulates other rules than those stipulated by this federal law, the rules of the international treaty shall apply.
Article 3. The principles of State regulation of the basic principles of the State regulation of the socio-economic development of the North are: State protectionism (support) aimed at creating in the North for the population and a large portion of industries development and the provision of preferential treatment for public use in manufactured products in the region;
selectivity of State support for production in the North. Assistance is provided primarily to organizations providing public service expenditures, as well as participating in the solution of social problems;
creation of conditions for the harmonious development of production, social services, population and preserve the surrounding natural Wednesday;
Regulation of industrial development of the North to careful use of its natural resources, the preservation of the environment and the protection of traditional foundations Wednesday economic activity and way of life of the small-numbered indigenous peoples of the North;
priority development of infrastructure, primarily for communication and transport, including the Northern sea route;
preservation and development of the small-numbered indigenous peoples of the North;
optimization of population in the North.
Article 4. The mechanism of Government support Government support in the North through: provision of guarantees and compensations for reimbursement of additional costs for accommodation and work in harsh climatic conditions;
organizations involved in the promotion of public needs, compensation, increased costs associated with industrial activity in the North;
financial support for the delivery of the products (products) in areas with limited terms of the importation of the products (goods);
support and socio-economic development of the small-numbered indigenous peoples of the North;
establishing environmental management regime that takes into account the sparing the heightened vulnerability of Northern nature and ensuring the rational use of natural resources;
formation of State extrabudgetary funds through part of the payments for the right to use non-renewable natural resources to create living conditions for future generations after depletion of those resources;
participation in the implementation of federal and regional target of economic, social and environmental development programmes;
concessional lending development of promising industries;
subsidies, and also loans and concessional loans for the construction or purchase of housing for persons travelling from the North.
Article 5. State regulation of economic development 1. State regulation of economic development in the North is aimed at maintaining the production sphere the North given its role in the economy of the Russian Federation, its adaptation to market conditions, gentle treatment of natural resources and on the basis of this move North towards sustainable development.
State regulation of economic development in the North includes: creation of legal and socio-economic conditions conducive to sectors of the economy structural shifts, focused on increasing the comprehensiveness and completeness of the processing of raw materials, as well as the development of promising new industries;
State support of branches of material production to ensure public needs, but without the necessary amounts of own sources of development;
limitation of economic activity in certain regions of the North;
ensuring increased freshness of fixed assets on the basis of their accelerated depreciation;
development of market infrastructure and enterprise development.
2. Public investment and attracted foreign investments are mainly used to provide initial conditions of development, to create objects of industrial infrastructure, including supporting transport network, communications, housing, promising a comprehensive natural resources, as well as for the development of basic industries.
The State creates favourable conditions for domestic and foreign investors, sending the funds in priority branches of the economy of the North to ensure public needs.
List of priority industries to attract private domestic and foreign capital is approved by the Government of the Russian Federation in consultation with the executive authorities of the constituent entities of the Russian Federation.
3. the Government of the Russian Federation is developing a programme of privatization of enterprises of the North, which includes the features of economic activities, taking into account the interests of the small-numbered indigenous peoples of the North.
Article 6. State support of business 1. State support of entrepreneurship in the North is carried out differently on the territories, taking into account the socio-economic development is determined by the priorities of the State policy aimed at ensuring economic efficiency.
2. State support of entrepreneurship in the North includes: stimulating the investment banking business development;
provision of loans on concessional terms, organizations and businesses, creating new jobs, primarily for processing waste products of mining and forest industries.
Article 7. State support for delivery of the products (products) 1. Federal authorities with a view to the sustainability of the economy and livelihood of the population in the North support the delivery of the products (products) in areas with limited terms of the importation of the products (goods).
Volumes of public financial support of the importation of the products (products) are considered in the formation of the federal budget and allocated it on a separate line.
Priority supported importation of products (goods) to the North are oil, oil, fuels, food and non-food commodities to supply the population and organizations, social workers and organizations housing. (As amended by the Federal law of 02.01.2000 N 30-FZ)
2. The Government of the Russian Federation shall be determined by:
list of districts in the North with limited terms of the importation of the products (goods), which could be included and the territory outside the areas of the North, on the basis of suggestions of bodies of State power of the constituent entities of the Russian Federation;
Organization of delivery of products (goods) in areas with limited terms of the importation of the products (goods);
conditions for the provision of financial resources and mechanism of realization of the circuit of the importation of the products (goods).
3. Federal bodies of executive power have control over the supply of products (goods) to the North, with the timeliness of funding, as well as for their intended use and return.
(Second paragraph deleted-the Federal law dated 02.01.2000 N 30-FZ) Article 8. State guarantees and compensation 1. The provision of State guarantees and compensation for persons working and living in the North, in the area of employment, wages, holidays, housing relations, compensation of transport costs, social insurance, pension and other is ensured in accordance with the law of the Russian Federation on State guarantees and compensation for persons working and living in the far North and similar areas, other federal laws and other regulatory legal acts of the Russian Federation as well as the laws and other normative legal acts of the constituent entities of the Russian Federation.
2. guarantees and compensation for persons working and living in the North, establishes differentiated, taking into account its zoning on unease living conditions of the population. Federal law guarantees and compensation can be distributed to those living in other areas with uncomfortable living conditions.
3. the procedure for financing the cost of guarantees and compensation for persons working and living in the North, is established by the Government of the Russian Federation.
4. individual guarantees and compensations are granted to persons not resident in the North, but performing shift work in the North.
Article 9. Public health, mothers and children 1. Health, motherhood and childhood in the North is carried out in accordance with higher than average for the Russian Federation, regulations.
2. the health of the population in the North is provided by annual medical preventive check-ups.
3. citizens of the Russian Federation living in the northern territories, recognized in the manner prescribed by the legislation of environmentally disadvantaged are guaranteed free medical care, medico-genetic and other consultations and surveys upon entering into marriage, as well as spa and rehabilitation treatment, provision of drugs, biological drugs and medical products on preferential terms, in accordance with the fundamentals of the legislation of the Russian Federation on health care, other federal laws and other regulatory legal acts of the Russian Federation as well as the laws and other normative legal acts of the constituent entities of the Russian Federation.
4. The State shall protect mothers and children in the North through appropriate programmes aimed at the creation of conditions for normal physical, mental and cultural development of children.
Article 10. State regulation of population in the North 1. State in order to optimize the size of the population in the North, reduce the load on the infrastructure: a) provides assistance to citizens of the Russian Federation, primarily the disabled, pensioners, dismissed workers travelling from the North, in the construction and acquisition of housing in parts of the Russian Federation with favourable living conditions and employment;
b) creates the conditions for attracting the necessary expertise to the North;
in) uses shift method.
2. Participation in the construction and acquisition of housing for citizens traveling from the North, provides targeted capital investments, grants, and also loans and loans on concessional terms.
Dimensions of public funds allocated for the construction and purchase of housing conditions of priority provide citizens with housing, as well as their resettlement from the North are determined by federal law.
Article 11. State regulation of the economy and culture of small indigenous minorities of the North State regulation of the economy and culture of small indigenous minorities of the North is aimed at development of traditional lifestyles, environmental management, forms of social organization and involves: a) budgetary allocations for maintenance and development of folk crafts and traditional nature use;
housing, health, culture, education and domestic assignments in places of compact residence of the small-numbered indigenous peoples of the North;
revival, preservation and development of culture, national art, native language;
targeted training of the small indigenous minorities of the North, to work in State bodies, bodies of local self-government organizations in territories traditionally inhabited by these peoples;
b) grants, tax benefits organizations engaged in traditional activities of small indigenous minorities of the North, with the composition of the working out of these peoples;
in order for the dock), the definition of indigenous small peoples of the North Territories of traditional residence and economic activities and environmental management.
Article 12. State regulation in the sphere of environmental protection and natural resources management 1 Wednesday. State regulation in the sphere of environmental protection and natural resources management in the North Wednesday aims to meet the needs of the population in natural resources, the preservation of the steady state and the integrity of ecological systems and environmental safety on the basis of particular vulnerability and recoverability of the nature of the North.
2. State regulation in the sphere of environmental protection and natural resources management Wednesday in the North involves: rational and efficient use of renewable and non-renewable resources;
the development and adoption of environmental regulations, meet natural-climatic conditions of the North and those to be performed by all citizens and organizations;
decisions on the establishment of specially protected natural territories, the Organization of ethno-ecological zones, allocation limits and quotas on the biological resources for household use in accordance with environmental requirements;
development of measures for the improvement of the environmental emergency zones and ecological disasters and provide funding for these activities;
familiarize the public organizations of the smallnumbered peoples of the North to development projects in the North;
a comprehensive examination of projects of development in the North;
development of technologies for remediation of anthropogenically damaged landscapes.
Article 13. Transitional provisions Until the adoption of the Federal Act on zoning is stored, the existing Division North to areas of the far North and similar areas.
Guarantees and compensation for persons working and residing in regions of the far North and similar areas, established by the legislation of the Russian Federation, are granted pending the adoption of the Federal law that defines the guarantees and compensation for persons working and residing in areas with uncomfortable living conditions.
Article 14. The final provisions of this federal law shall enter into force on the day of its official publication.
The President of the Russian Federation and to entrust the Government of the Russian Federation to bring its normative acts in compliance with this federal law.
The President of the Russian Federation, b. Yeltsin, Kremlin, Moscow, N June 19, 1996 78-FZ
Search Translated Laws of Russia