Read the untranslated law here: http://app.parlamento.pt/webutils/docs/doc.pdf?path=6148523063446f764c3246795a5868774d546f334e7a67774c336470626d6c7561574e7059585270646d467a4c316776644756346447397a4c334271624463304d4331594c6d527659773d3d&fich=pjl740-X.doc&Inline=false
1 DRAFT law No. 740/X/4 ELEVATION of VILA DE s. PEDRO DO SUL to the category of CITY EXPLANATORY MEMORANDUM 1. GEO s. Pedro do Sul is a village in the central part of the country, in the District of Viseu. To your situation corográfica is referenced by António Carvalho da Costa that says ' situated in UM delicious valle, whose diapers regaõ the two rivers Vouga, & South; born with no related Senhora da Lapa, and this at the Villa takes its name from the South, both in the ajuntão & villa, if with two large vadeão & stone bridges that had the Infante d. Luis, which foy Lord of this Municipality, which today he the Crown» in Portvgveza, Lisbon, 1708 Chorography. Is a municipality with 348.68 km ² of area, divided into 19 civil parishes (Balloons, Bordonhos, Candal, Catalina, Covas do Rio, Figueiredo de Alva, Pindelo dos Milagres, Manhouce, pine, Santa Cruz da Trapa, São Cristóvão de Lafões, São Félix, São Martinho das Moitas, São Pedro do Sul, Serrazes, South, Valadares, Várzea and more village). To your population exceeds, at present, the 19000 inhabitants whose most important cores are the parishes of St. Peter and of Meadow. The Council, in the hilly landscape of the mountains of St. Macarius, Manhouce and ploughing, is part of the Dão-Lafões subregion confronting the Northeast with the municipality of Castro Daire, Southeast with Viseu South with New Orleans, the South and West with Oliveira de Frades, Vale de Cambra to the West and Northwest by Arouca. To your proximity to the A24-A25 is made by EN 16, being the EN227 and EN228 road journeys as fundamental to your territorial cohesion. 2 2. HISTORICAL NOTE 1. The origin in the municipality of São Pedro do Sul is located in the former municipality records of ancestors ' Lafoens ' which is ' Three legoas of Vizeu Northwest» and «who sent people by years of 1040 Alafoens Moor, afterward took name, as Fr. Bernardo de Brito liv. 7. cap. 28. the monarchy Lusitana. Gave it foral El Rey d. Diniz: has two villas, which are the head of the municipality, namely, that of Healthful Pedro do Sul, & Vouzella» to. However, are testimonies of antiquity the previous names of Germanic origin antroponímicos of some of his parishes that certainly refer to above "villae romanae". Many and varied are the tabeliónica documentation that indicates movement of property since the 11th century, between local landlords or between these and the monastic important domains, such as the time of Salzedas or s. João de Tarouca, the Paço de Sousa or the order of the Hospital, or the fit of the Cathedral of Coimbra and Porto Cathedral. 2. medieval documentation notes, "the existence of monasteries: the oldest, the" place of Lafões, around the river South and the Vouga, will be the one to which, by the way, refers to the presbyter Troitosendus when, at the end of the first century to the 11th century, makes donation of your church ' in terra Alaphoen vocatur Santi Petri» to the see of Coimbra; the most notable, however, was that of s. Cristóvão de Lafões, founded or rebuilt by King John, Bishop of Porto († 1175). 3. The history of the municipality of São Pedro do Sul's intrinsically tied to the old «Villa» bath situated in a ' pleasant Valle at meyo which makes your current the river Vouga [...] which has hũa famous carved stone bridge with ten arches. He abounding of bread, wine, azeyte, fruits, cattle, hunting has humas & & Caldas, where healed the big Rey Don Affonso Henriques ', to whom this same King granted Charter in 1152 that made ' all your cum. finish all regalenga». Here was an old and illustrious solar lineage of the Almeidas, which was descending «Duarte de Almeyda who won severed in battle name of Bull, where the enemies you podèraõ not take the hands the Real pendaõ, which as ensign took, or 3 cortandolhas mòr; & feyto tam pointed out, and don't know that by elle had some satisfaçaõ '.
4. The toponym s. Pedro do Sul is connected to a popular legend, according to which an image of St. Peter, from a chapel located in the place of South, would have descended the River during a flood. The popular, managing to remove the water image, recognized it as "s. Pedro de Sul. In 1514, d. Manuel granted a Charter to s. Pedro do Sul and that in 1527 was already referred to as "village and head of municipality". 5. The current configuration of the municipality of São Pedro do Sul is the result of administrative reorganization made by Mouzinho da Silveira. It added the ancient towns of the South received Foral de d. Duarte, Dinis and Manuel in 1514 and has lost the status of municipality in 1853; the "village of bath" – later known as Caldas de Lafões, municipality in 1836.
2. ECONOMIC ACTIVITY 1. The economic life of the County during the first half of the 20th century was marked by the exploitation of the Tin and tungsten, whose mines are still referenced. At present, an important part of the economy is the logging and production and processing of poultry products as well as sheep and cattle breeding. In agriculture it is noteworthy the cultivation of vine: wine practices distinguished from specific regions are adjacent to him (Douro and Dão), is referred to as "Hangman's vine" and gives rise to a sort of vinho verde, commonly called "vinho verde de s. Pedro do Sul". In recent years trade-with various fairs: the Old (monthly); the Feira Nova (monthly); the Feira de Santa Cruz da Trapa and Manhouce (monthly) and the South (on Sundays) and the services have won relief in economic activity and the industry that has two industrial parks: the Industrial Park of Alto Clay (in the parish of Bordonhos and Oak) and the Industrial Park of Bordonhos (in the parish of Bordonhos). 4 2. The Termas de s. Pedro do Sul have, over time, played a role of the utmost importance to the development and growth of tourist municipality. Situated in the parish of the Valley, dating back to Roman times, then called Balneum. Its waters are characterised by being sulfúreas with sodium and radioactive. They have used the King d. Afonso to treat a leg after a fall of horse (others say by hitting in the wreckage of Badajoz, following your hasty withdrawal). Grateful, made several donations to the town and the inhabitants of bath. Manuel also comes attached to these spas: ordered several changes to the set built which was renamed Royal Hospital of Caldas de Lafões. "In 1884 the Town Hall of São Pedro do Sul has decided to build a modern bathhouse, which succeeds the former Royal Hospital and whose work had start on the same date. In 1894 the Queen d. Amélia, accompanied by his two sons, ali visited for the purpose of obtaining the cure for its ills. As a way to mark such an illustrious visitor's stay, decided the Hall of time put in the lobby of the then-recent building a plaque with the coat of arms of the sovereign, as well as your embossed bust. In 1895 was published a decree that stipulated that the Caldas de Lafões if the term "Caldas da Rainha d. Amélia". The name of the sovereign was assigned to the new locker room, which remains to date. With the advent of the Republic, the site has the current name Termas de s. Pedro do Sul.
"In 1987 opened a new and extensive Spa Centre and partially closed the locker room Queen d. Amélia, in order to be carried out important restoration work. This is in operation since the middle of September 2001 and is equipped with the most modern equipment, in order to be carried out the various techniques of thermal treatment. The two buildings are currently in operation.
Since the mid-80, the Termas de s. Pedro do Sul are the most important spa resort of our country. Today, represents about a third of the universe of those undergoing treatments. In the year 1990 the level of over 14,500 goers with a constant growth to this day, which has already reached the 25,000 ".
5 Recently remodeled, the Termas de s. Pedro do Sul count now over four new pools, new equipment so far non-existent (Bertholaix, Pedidaix, Hidropressoterapia, hydro-massage shower fixed D'aix, circular shower) and with the expansion and remodeling, the resort operated d. Afonso Henriques-now named in honor of the first King-see bent to your service offering, have an installed capacity that can go from 40,000 to 45,000 users per year.
The Termas de s. Pedro do Sul has recently been distinguished by the Spanish magazine "Thermaespa" as the best Iberian Thermal Complex.
3. Historical-CULTURAL HERITAGE 1. São Pedro do Sul has in built heritage, landscape and gastronomy, one of its main wealth and economic development opportunities. It spreads all over the County as a manifestation of a common memory, giving great variety of tourist and cultural choice. The historical and cultural heritage, so much that in the village of s. Pedro do Sul is apparent, stand out: the pool of d. Afonso Henriques (MN National Monument-28 536, DG 66, 3/22/1938) – best known for "bath", or "Caldas de Lafões", this building is located at the epicenter of the current Termas de s. Pedro do Sul, whose mineral springs are situated on the left bank of the river Vouga. Is a thermal complexes of best preserved Roman origin of existing in the current national territory. Archaeological investigations have determined that the Roman swimming pool outside lined with opus signinum, corresponding probably to the cold showers-frigidarium-, since it seems to find himself devoid of coverage remains essential in the case of the room intended for the warm water-tepidarium-or hot-caldarium. It is possible, however, that they were of the natatio, large tank traditionally torn, whose waters were, in this case, takes to the Vouga River through the sewer still visible today.
Igreja da Misericórdia 6 – dating from the 18th century and is composed of a single nave, chancel, choir alto, sacristy. The main façade is Baroque and the interior your typically shows painted ceilings, gilded and polychrome altarpieces of Rococo language and statuary.
Palace of Reriz (IIP Property of public interest-129/77, DR 226, 9/29/1977)-history of the Palace of the Marquis of Reriz is directly linked with the presence of Queen d. Amélia in Termas de São Pedro do Sul, which he attended in the late 19th century, staying several times in this manor. The Baroque architecture of the Palace bears witness to the time it was built, denoting a series of characteristics common to so many other buildings in the first quarter of the 18th century. On the main façade, with Bay Windows, topped off by pediments of volutes interrupted, stands, Center, the pedimented portal also scrolls, but in which the timpani figure the coat of arms of the Almeida.
Convent of São José (IIP Property of public interest-32 973, DG 175, 8/18/1943)-in the former convent of St. Joseph are, currently, the Town Hall of the municipality of São Pedro do Sul, which moved here in 1842, following the Decree of Extinction of the religious orders, ending the short life of this convent building. The Church is notable for the preceding steps, surrounded by balustrade on landing zone. This composition recalls the front of another Franciscan convent, located in the city of Viseu-the convent of San Francisco. Both denote the influence of Baroque architecture, of a Franciscan. Inside, are the altarpieces of gilt, mainly from Chapel, with pseudo-Solomonic columns. Finally, the two-storey cloister, is formed by arcades of columns of the Tuscan order on the ground floor and on the second level for similar columns but based on square brackets with the chamfered corners.
In the village and in the surrounding area you can find some buildings for your architectural peculiarity, deserve reference here: the Villa of Belt de Lacerda, the Palacete dos Condes da Lapa, the Palacete de Palme-Moniz, the locker room Queen d. Amélia and INATEL vacation Center, and several chapels: Capela de s. Martinho, Santo Antonio Chapel and the chapel of St. Sebastian.
2. They deserve reference, because they are still cause for many tourist visits: 7 convent of São Cristóvão de Lafões-conventual Foundation has raised many questions and interpretations, but, today, and in the light of the documentation, appears relatively consensual John considered Peculiar, Bishop of Porto, as founder of this convent that initially embraced the rule of St. Augustine and later of St. Benedict. Finally, adherence to Cîteaux was last changed the rule to be observed in the convent, which occurred in early date in the year 1161. During the medieval period, São Cristóvão de Lafões was a very wealthy institution, with considerable income. However, like most of the Cistercian monasteries, arrived in the 16th century in a State of considerable disrepair, due to harmful management of Abbots comendatários. The convent, which had the usual dependencies, organized around the cloister, of two floors, comprising five perfect round arches and pilasters defined Tuscan order. This area is incomplete and the Church is located in the South-East angle of the cloister. Rebuilt for the third time in 1704, after a fire, the temple features ship of square plan.
Writing stone (IIP Property of public interest 35 532, 55, of DG 3/15/1946)-this is a monument consisting of a rock cut vertically, with the flat face, turned to the East, completely covered with engravings, except in two areas, of which if unraveled a granitic surface layer, missing the signs that surely there exist also the petroglyphs recorded there are 3 species : simple circles and concentric, square signs (in chess) and dimples (fossetes).
4. CULTURAL ACTIVITY 1. São Pedro do Sul has a cultural life that is guaranteed by many recreational associations that feed the traditions and boost the formative way leisure: Toccata-string ensemble of São Pedro do Sul, Drizes Cultural Association, the Morris dancers the Lavradeiras of Whitley Bay, Whitley Bay recreation and Cultural Association, the Group of bass drums and snare drums of Whitley Bay , the United Association, Associação Cultural e Recreativa de Arcozelo, São Pedro do Sul Club, the Scenic Byway – Popular theater group, the Philharmonic Musical society harmony of s. Pedro do Sul, the Sports Union Sampedrense, the 8 Sports Club of Drizes, the hunting and fishing Club of Lafões the Association of physical education and Sports of São Pedro do Sul , pull down, the Academic Association Footlafões, Associação Cultural e Recreativa Bairro da Ponte's Social and Social Welfare Association of Lafões. Of all these associations and groups is the Group of songs of Manhouce national expression who managed while Ambassador to the folklore of Lafões region, as well as the Alafum group.
2. There are in the municipality of São Pedro do Sul several festivals and fairs that portray customs and devotions that today are as hallmarks of a popular culture of particular characteristics. The pilgrimage to Saint Macarius, the feast in honour of our Lady of Deliverance, the feast in honour of our Lady of Nazareth, the feast of our Lady of health, the feast of Saint Lucy, the Senhora da Guia, the feast of St. Euphemia, or the feast of the patron saint St. Peter. Without wanting to create contrast, in August, the parish of Carvalhais receives the Festival of Wanderings which brings to the municipality of São Pedro do Sul thousands of outsiders who try new forms of bodily expression, a new way to "build and reinvent pilgrimage". 3. S. Pedro do Sul account as one of their favourite sons the poet António Corrêa de Oliveira (São Pedro do Sul, 1878-Antas, 1960). Great poet neogarrettista, was one of the singers of the Nostalgia, along with Teixeira de Pascoaes and others. Linked to the cultural movements of the Lusitanian integralism and the Eagle magazine, Atlantis, Blue Bird and Seara Nova. He was a partner of the Academy of Sciences. With an extensive work-among others: Litany (1897), Eiradas (1899), the temptations of s. Frei Gil (1907), Soul (1910), the Religious Establishment. Life and history of the tree (1913), my land (1915-1917), Time Uncertain (Viriato Lusitano) (1920), Verb and Verb Amar (1926), Mare Nostrum (1939) Little Story of Portugal (1940), Aljubarrota in the Moonlight (1944), Holm oak in bloom (1954), numerous texts were chosen for the unique Portuguese language books of primary and secondary education system. It was the first Portuguese to be nominated for the Nobel Prize. The citizens of s. Pedro do Sul devoted him homage to erect him a bust in 1955. 4. While cultural equipment, the County has a movie theater, the first half of the 20th century. Received restoration and upgrading being stage, today, the most diverse performing arts initiatives. Of your cultural heritage collection also includes the Municipal Library and the library of the Balneary of Queen Dona Amelia, at a spa and even a museum. 9 5. The County retains some artisanal activities, including basketry, rents, the grind, the pyrotechnics, the cooperage, the weaving of linen, leather and stone work and the making of traditional costumes.
5. SOCIAL COMMUNICATION
S. Pedro do Sul has media to your dimension. Ali published two newspapers: the newspaper News of Lafões and Gazeta da Beira. Also, with a local radio station, Rádio Lafões.
6. Infrastructure and EQUIPMENT 1. The village of s. Pedro do Sul has many social, health equipment, private and public administration that are essential to ensure quality of life for its citizens. In the area of health and Social Security: home support, Home and Day Centre (Holy House of mercy), health center, with Basic emergency Service; several private medical clinics; laboratories and pharmacies; the thermal establishment d. Afonso Henriques. In the area of security: fire Corporation; GNR Territorial Unit. In the area of education: pre-school establishments and schools; Primary education institutions; Integrated elementary school 2/3; Secondary School. In the area of sport: municipal swimming pools; playing fields; multi-sports halls and gimnodesportivos; a Municipal sports centre. In the area of public administration Services: Division of finance and Bureau of internal revenue; Judicial Court. Conservatória do Registo Civil, commercial and property registrars; Other: Postal distribution center; Post Office, telegraphs and telephones, notary office, job centre and various banking entities.
2. The great activity in thermal tourism developed in the municipality a strong hotel sector which has multiple drives: one with four stars and one with three, several with two; several Inns and guest houses, rural tourism units and 10 housing, for a total of around 2000 beds. Support this hotel offer other institutions linked to the sector: cafes, bars, bowling alleys and entertainment establishments.
7-Conclusion by the foregoing is evident as the town of s. Pedro do Sul meets all conditions are legally required to be assigned to the category of city. In view of the above, the signatory Members understand that they are meeting the requirements of article 13 in conjunction with article 14 of law No. 11/82, of 2 June, to the village of São Pedro do Sul is elevated to the category of city. In these terms, whereas the village of s. Pedro do Sul meets the stipulated, the undersigned Members of the parliamentary group of the Socialist Party, under the constitutional provisions and regulations applicable, the following draft law: Article only the village of s. Pedro do Sul, in the District of Viseu, is elevated to the category of City.
Palácio de s. Bento, 15 of April 2009 Members José Junqueiro Miguel Ginestal Cláudia Vieira Paulo Barradas
Search Translated Laws of Portugal