Read the untranslated law here: http://app.parlamento.pt/webutils/docs/doc.pdf?path=6148523063446f764c3246795a5868774d546f334e7a67774c336470626d6c7561574e7059585270646d467a4c316776644756346447397a4c334271636a4d7a4d4331594c6d527659773d3d&fich=pjr330-X.doc&Inline=false
ASSEMBLY of the REPUBLIC 1 draft resolution n° 330/X more than three decades on the overthrow of the dictatorship and considering that freedom and democracy are values that nobody questions and are assumed as a reference of our everyday life, it is now time to take effective measures for a policy of preservation of memory in relation to the resistance , the dictatorship and the fights for freedom and democracy.
These conservation measures, research and dissemination of memory are, firstly, a political obligation of the State and of the elected bodies within the political regime legitimized by the revolution of 25 April 1974.
They aim to ensure the necessary research, understanding and transmission to future generations of knowledge of an important period in the history of the 20th century, through events, movements and citizens who for decades fought in defense of freedom and democracy, in which many ended up losing his own life.
Thus, MEPs, the undersigned, in accordance with legal and constitutional regulations applicable, the following: draft resolution the Assembly of the Republic, under the terms and for the purposes of paragraph 5 of article 166 of the Constitution of the Portuguese Republic, decides to recommend to the Government that create actual conditions, including financial, to make visible the projects of local authorities and civil society in its varied forms of organization, such as: ASSEMBLY of the REPUBLIC 2 1. Support for Museum programs and the creation of a Museum of freedom and Resistance whose registered office must be located in the historic center of Lisbon (formerly the Aljube chain installation) while agglutinating pole that will set up a network of museological cores, and can take advantage of other buildings that are historically identified as relevant in the resistance to the dictatorship alongside the appreciation and support of the resistance Museum installed in the fortress of Peniche. The Museum of freedom and strength should constitute an important dynamic Centre, in conjunction with schools and universities and other institutions and organizations that have developed relevant and valuable activity today in the collection of documentation and other material with museological value, research and dissemination of the memory of resistance to dictatorship.
2. Establishment of a National road map of freedom and resistance, through the places and buildings-símblolo considered of national interest, in the context of resistance and the fight for freedom, including, of course, those which are important references in the victory of the revolution of 25 April 1974, and, if possible, the adoption of measures of preservation and utilization in your most appropriate cases , as spaces of conservation, research and dissemination of historical memory.
3. Promotion and support, with the local authorities, organizations and local and regional institutions, a policy of establishment of local and regional roadmaps as an important constituent element of the memory on the local level, to promote research, the recognition and disclosure and local actors and of civil fighting resistance for freedom and human rights. This action may take place either in the name or referencing of spaces and buildings, works of art in public spaces, in publications, at events and in activities aimed at schools.
ASSEMBLY Of The REPUBLIC 3 4. Implementation and development of a policy of organization and processing of files based on the Institute of national archives of Torre do Tombo, taking advantage of the very positive work that is already being developed, promoting coordination with other archives and documentation centres with relevant activity in this area, affecting the resources at your achievement.
5. Support for research programs in History, sociology, economics and related fields dedicated to the period of Estado Novo in order to make available to researchers interested in resources and means of support for their projects in the framework of programmes to stimulate scientific research.
6. Recommendation that the competent organ to promote, at the level of education, including at the level of the curricula, the values of democracy and freedom through knowledge of our contemporary history, with reference to the period of the dictatorship, to your tip on 25 April 1974 and the consolidation of the democratic regime, as contributions that allow not only a better understanding of our history and identity while parents free and sovereign but also for the formation of a more responsible and enlightened citizenship.
7. Building, in conjunction with the city of Lisbon, a Memorial in Lisbon that, as public monument and permanently, expresses the tribute and recognition to the national civic resistance and combat for freedom and democracy.
8. Should also be supported, in particular in conjunction with local authorities and with civil society, in its varied forms of organization, memorialisticas initiatives in other locations of the national ASSEMBLY of the REPUBLIC territory 4 expressing homage and recognition of civic resistance and combat for freedom and democracy.
9. Development of a policy of cooperation, within the framework of relations between sovereign States, with the States arising from Portuguese ex-colonias, to preserve the heritage of common struggle for freedom, in particular the concentration camp of Tarrafal.
Palácio de s. Bento, 7 May 2008 Members,
Search Translated Laws of Portugal