Read the untranslated law here: http://app.parlamento.pt/webutils/docs/doc.pdf?path=6148523063446f764c3246795a5868774d546f334e7a67774c336470626d6c7561574e7059585270646d467a4c316776644756346447397a4c334271636a45324e5331594c6d527659773d3d&fich=pjr165-X.doc&Inline=false
DRAFT RESOLUTION No. 165/X PARTICIPATION of PARLIAMENT in the PARLIAMENTARY ASSEMBLY of the MEDITERRANEAN, the Mediterranean region is, in your essence, a crossroads of cultures, a space of dialogue, of cooperation but also an area of tension and conflict. Today, more than ever, the Mediterranean region requires permanent dialogue mechanisms, profound and differentiated. The creation of the Mediterranean Parliamentary Assembly certifies the importance of creating a platform for political dialogue enabling the exchange of cultural, economic and social experiences in order to consolidate and deepen democracy, the rule of law and respect for human rights, safeguarding the different cultures, civilizations and religious beliefs. The Parliament decides, pursuant to paragraph 5 of article 166 of the Constitution, as follows: article 1 membership of the Assembly of the Republic adheres to the Parliamentary Assembly of the Mediterranean (APM) and accepts its statutes that published, in translation for Portuguese language, in the annex to the present resolution, without prejudice to any changes that may be introduced in accordance with the procedure laid down therein.
2 article 2 1 Delegation-the participation of the Assembly of the Republic in APM is ensured by a delegation. 2-the delegation is composed of five members, including a Chairman and a Vice-Chairman. 3-three alternates will be elected that will replace the members unable to attend. 4-the delegation should be multi-party, reflecting the composition of the Assembly of the Republic.
Article 3 1-Skills delegation performs the tasks, shall exercise the powers and fulfils the obligations laid down in the statutes of the APM. 2-the President of the delegation directs its work and coordinates the activities of its members. 3-in your absences and impediments, the President is replaced by the Vice President.
Article 4 1-Mandate the delegation is elected by the Assembly of the Republic at the beginning of each parliamentary term and for this period. 2-the members of the delegation, if re-elected, members shall remain in Office until new election her.
3 article 5 operation the operation of the Delegation shall be governed by article 2 of the Resolution of the Assembly of the Republic n° 5/2003, of 22 January.
Article 6 standards for the delegation and its members comply with the rules of procedure of the Assembly of the Republic and of the resolution mentioned in the preceding article.
Palácio de s. Bento, December 13 2006 the PRESIDENT of the ASSEMBLY of the REPUBLIC, (Jaime Gama) 4 Statute of the Mediterranean Parliamentary Assembly Adopted by consensus on 7 February 2005, Nauplia (Greece) and 11 September 2006, Amman (Jordan) Nature and purpose article 1 the Parliamentary Assembly of the Mediterranean (hereinafter referred to as the Assembly) is the parliamentary institution that brings together the parliaments of all the countries of the Mediterranean basin , on equal terms.
Article 2 1. The House is an autonomous institution with legal personality. The Assembly was established by decision of the national parliaments of the countries of the Mediterranean basin.
2. the Assembly is based on the pioneering work conducted by the Inter-parliamentary Union (IPU) through the process of the Conference for security and cooperation in the Mediterranean (CSCM), and maintains a privileged relationship with the IPU, which sends information, an annual activity report for the first quarter of the following calendar year.
Article 3 1. The Assembly develops cooperation between its members, in their areas of action, promoting political dialogue and understanding between the parliaments concerned.
2. the Assembly about matters of common interest to encourage and reinforce the confidence between the States of the Mediterranean, in order to ensure regional security and stability and promote peace. The House will also combine the efforts of the States of the Mediterranean in a true spirit of partnership with a view to your harmonious development.
5 article 4 the Assembly draws up and sends the parliaments members opinions, recommendations and other advisory texts that will contribute to the achievement of its objectives.
Article 5 composition 1. Upon request, the parliaments of the Mediterranean States, Jordan, the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia and Portugal are full members of the Assembly.
2. The parliaments of the countries geographically close to the Mediterranean or with common interests in the region, as well as inter-parliamentary organizations active in the area may, on request, be invited to participate in the work of the Assembly in the capacity of associate members.
Article 6 1. It is up to Parliament to submit opinions, recommendations and other texts in an advisory capacity to the national parliaments and the Governments of its members.
2. National parliaments should inform the Assembly on the measures taken to promote the implementation of the texts adopted.
Article 7 all members and associate members of the Assembly should make an annual financial contribution to the functioning of the same. The your value should be calculated by application of the scale of contributions (attaches to these statutes) to the draft budget approved by the Assembly.
Associate members of the Assembly must make an additional annual contribution to an amount fixed by the Assembly, aimed at the maintenance of your working capital.
6 article 8 Structure the structure of the Parliamentary Assembly of the Mediterranean is composed by the Assembly, the Bureau, three standing committees, the committees and the Secretariat. Article 9 Assembly 1. Unless otherwise decided, the Assembly meets annually in ordinary session, at the invitation of a member Parliament.
2. The Chairman shall convene extraordinary sessions of the Assembly at the request of two thirds of its members.
Article 10 the Member Parliament hosting the meetings and/or the activities of the Assembly should ensure your entry into the territory of all the representatives of the parliaments members and associate members.
Article 11 1. The composition of the Assembly and your decision-making process is governed by the principle of equality among its members.
2. The delegations of the member parliaments to sessions of the Assembly include at most five parliamentarians.
3. The delegations of the members shall be composed of men and women parliamentarians.
Article 12 1. The Assembly elects a President and four Vice-Presidents for a two-year term.
2. the Assembly shall elect a Chairman for each of the three standing committees for a term of two years.
1. The President of the Assembly opens, suspends and closes the meetings, presiding over the work of the Assembly, ensures compliance with the rules of procedure, grants the word, submit the issues to the vote, announce the results of votes and declare the closure of the work of the Assembly. Their decisions on these matters are final and shall be accepted without debate.
2. The President shall decide on all cases not included in these Statutes, having heard the opinion of the Bureau, if necessary, or at the request of the majority of the other members of the Bureau.
7 article 14 1. Each delegation is entitled to five votes, provided that at least two of its members are present at the vote.
2. If only one delegate is present, it shall be entitled to one vote.
Article 15 1. The decisions of the Assembly shall be taken by consensus.
2. In the absence of consensus, the Assembly shall make decisions by a majority of four fifths of the votes cast.
Table article 16 1. The work of the meeting are prepared by the Bureau.
2. the Bureau is composed of the President of the Assembly, by four Vice Presidents and three Presidents of the standing committees.
Article 17 1. The members ensure equitable representation at the table, by rotation, in the various regions of the Mediterranean.
2. The members shall endeavour to ensure that both genders are represented in the table.
Article 18 1. The Bureau, assisted by the Secretariat, has the function to take all appropriate measures to ensure effective organisation and the harmonious development of the work of the Assembly, in accordance with the statutes and regulations of the Assembly.
8 article 19 standing committees the work of the Assembly are prepared by the standing committees issuing opinions and recommendations. The standing committees dealing with the following issues: Committee on political and Security Cooperation (First Committee): regional stability: relationships between Mediterranean partners based on eight principles (not resorting to threat or use of force, peaceful settlement of international disputes, inviolability of borders and territorial integrity of States, the right of peoples to self-determination and to live in peace in their territories within the internationally recognised borders and guaranteed , equal sovereignty of States and non-interference in internal affairs, respect for human rights, cooperation between States, execution in good faith of obligations under international law), issues related to peace, security and stability, confidence-building measures, arms control and disarmament, international humanitarian law, and the fight against terrorism.
Committee on economic, Social and Environmental Cooperation (second tour): co-development and partnership: globalization, economy, trade, finance, debt issues, industry, agriculture, fisheries, employment and migration, demography, poverty and exclusion, human settlements, water and energy resources, desertification and environmental protection, tourism, transport, science, technology and technological innovation.
on the dialogue of civilizations and human rights (Third Committee): mutual respect and tolerance, democracy, human rights, gender issues, children, rights of minorities, education, culture and heritage, sports, media and information, and dialogue between religions.
9 article 20 Each member Parliament has the right to participate in the work of each of the three standing committees be represented by at least one member.
Article 21 1. A special study group for gender issues and gender equality is created in the Third Committee.
2. To assist the three standing committees in the performance of its functions, the Assembly can create other special study groups, protected by each Committee.
Any committees article 22 1. The Assembly may set up any committees to deal with specific matters.
2. the Assembly, having heard the opinion of the Bureau, shall act on the proposals of the members of creating one or more potential commissions.
Secretariat article 23 1. The House benefits from the services of a secretariat situated in a Mediterranean country whose Parliament is a member of the Assembly.
2. In the transition period and while the House does not have a secretariat of its own, the Inter-parliamentary Union Secretariat provides administrative support.
Changes the Statute Article 24 1. Amendments to the statutes shall be submitted to the Secretariat in writing at least three months before the meeting of the Assembly. The Secretariat shall immediately inform the members of the Assembly of the proposed amendments. The assessment of changes is automatically included in the agenda of the Assembly.
2. After hearing the opinion of the Bureau, the Assembly shall act on these proposals by consensus.
Search Translated Laws of Portugal