Postal law chapter I General provisions article 1. The law regulating the subject matter of the terms used in the law (1) this Act regulates the postal service and related legal relations.
(2) the terms used in the law, the recipient, the mailing address, the natural or legal person.
Insured item: a letter or parcel of small packages, which the sender is appreciated by a specified amount.
Bandrol — mail, which transmits various types of printed matter.
Domestic post-mailing that is transferred to the Latvian State border.
Registered item: the uninsured, whose correspondence of acceptance is issued a receipt to the sender.
Postal-mail in which the transfer of industrial, household and cultural goods, food products and other items.
Mail carrier: the natural or legal person on the basis of the contract between the postal authorities accept the post to deliver mail and issued the following natural or legal persons.
Postcard, mailings, which without adding the envelope forward in a small private or professional written communication.
Arrears in post-mailing, which is issued to the beneficiary to collect from him the amount of the sender, which in turn sends mail by sender addresses presented.
Secināšan — send a mailing to the postal authorities see the recipient's new place of residence or location.
Small packages: mail, the weight of which does not exceed one kilogram and that transfers the tiny objects, with the exception of printing and written communications.
International reply coupon — Universal Postal Union issued a postal pay which can be purchased from post office and which is accepted by any other Member of the Universal Postal Union postal authority in Exchange for that country's stamps in a value that is sufficient to send a simple letter or international aviovēstul, weighing no more than 20 grams.
International mail — mail that is sent to another State or received from another country, or is transferred in transit through the territory of Latvia.
Sender: a natural or legal person to which the mailing stated themselves as the sender of the mail.
Letter-mail that, insert the envelope in the transmission of private or professional written communication.
2. article. Legislation governing the postal operation (1) mail is governed by this law, other laws, Cabinet of Ministers regulations and other laws, as well as the Universal Postal Convention, international regulations and agreements which the Republic of Latvia is a member.
(2) All with the postal service issues that are not mentioned in this law, the regulation of the postal regulations, which shall be approved by the Cabinet of Ministers and the postal and customer relations is mandatory.
3. article. Postal sector (1) in the postal sector policy to the State and public administration functions to fulfil the Ministry of transportation.
(2) postal services public authority «Latvian post» (hereinafter referred to as the Latvian post) which is under the supervision of the Ministry of transport.
(3) the Latvian post represents the Republic of Latvia, the Universal Postal Union and the Republic of Latvia in the official postal administration relations with other postal administrations.
4. article. The Latvian postal monopoly (1) Latvian post has a monopoly to accept, transfer and license in the country-both domestic and international correspondence letters mailing-letters, postcards, and small packages bandrol.
(2) only the post of Latvia has the right to produce and release of postage stamps of the Republic of Latvia and other postal payment marks, as well as withdraw postal payment marks from circulation.
(3) If the post of Latvia is unable to provide the population with the appropriate mail services, you can provide other companies, which is issued by the Ministry of transport license. They must comply with the requirements of this Act in relation to postal services.
(4) correspondence Letters mailing that you imported from abroad in Latvia without post and which are addressed to recipients in Latvia or are transferred in transit through the territory of Latvia, Latvian mail must be served or to whom the licence is issued.
(5) Prohibited to export to foreign countries without the mediation of the Latvian postal correspondence letters mailing in order to transfer the foreign postal authorities or to grant recipients, with the exception of article 22 of this law in the fourth paragraph above.
5. article. Monopoly protection of natural and legal persons without a license by the Ministry of transport activities, to which the Latvian post has a monopoly, called to statutory liability. From the following income gained from dwelling in the Latvian post profits.
Chapter II, article 6 of the mailings. Types of mail mailings are classified into: 1) the correspondence of letters, messages, postcards, letters, small packages of bandrol;
2) postal consignments;
3) operation task messages — money transfers and deposits, postal cheque, in arrears.
(2) the types of mail, the weight, size, value and sum insured as well as the properties and the content of the consignment packaging shall be governed by postal regulations.
7. article. Ban (1) forbidden postal items to transfer: 1) items that their nature or packaging may be dangerous to keep the postal employees, or damage other mail or postal equipment;
2) the narcotic drugs and psychotropic substances;
3) objects which the importation or circulation of the receiving countries is prohibited;
4) explosives, flammable or otherwise hazardous substances;
5) impolite or not virtuous nature objects;
6) animals except bees, leeches and zīdtauriņ larvae.
(2) correspondence via Letters except for insured shipments may not transfer money and bearer securities, precious metals, jewels and other jewelry.
(3) the correspondence of letters and postal consignments must not transmit written notification if they do not apply to the recipient or a person who lives with him.
(4) if the mailings are found objects and substances referred to in the first subparagraph of article 2, paragraphs 4 and 5, they confiscated and destroyed in the agenda set by the Ministry of transport. The seizure must be notified to the sender.
(5) If sent mistakenly accepted the first part of this article 1, 3 and 6, second and third subparagraphs are mentioned in articles, they are to be sent back to the sender.
8. article. Post secret (1) postal employees prohibited from disclosing information on natural and legal persons. This prohibition also applies to Customs officers, participating in the clearance of goods to be sent, and it shall remain in force also after termination of the employment of employees.
(2) the sender shall be entitled to claim the consignment of your reclaim a consignment or ask to be served on a person other than the recipient.
(3) the consignments and the items themselves are also issued: 1) State and local government bodies and officials, consignments of them employ the services of the institutions and officials of the post;
2) national law enforcement legislation.
9. article. Postal payment (1) correspondence Letters mailing, domestic operations tasks in the package and mail in the Republic of Latvia are paid after the Cabinet approved tariffs. Other postal services are paid at rates set by the Latvian post or the company that provides the service.
(2) the postal service can pay the Republic of Latvia with valid postal payment marks, clear or non-cash form of settlement or other order depending on what payment arrangements for each type of consignments and operations for the postal regulations.
(3) postal service pay the sender, placing parcel post office. From the sender are not charged the fee collected from the recipient, the mailing shall be issued.
10. article. Postal payment marks (1) the postal payment marks use the postal service to pay.
(2) the postal payment marks are postage stamps of the Republic of Latvia, envelopes and postcards with postage image, mail machine brands and international reply coupons.
(3) the counterfeiting of postal payment marks, as well as false or use the postal payment marks the use or sale of the perpetrators called to statutory liability.
11. article. Free mailings of the the postal services are exempt of payment: 1) the Latvian postal service mailing and related connectable safety;
2) mailings with printed material and other media that are addressed to the blind;
3) mailings that are sent to the prisoners of war and interned persons or which are sent to such persons, as well as the relevant authorities of the certificate in accordance with the 1949 Geneva Conventions of august 12 on the protection of civilians in time of war;
4) National Library of Latvia post;
5) optional service mailings of the letters of soldiers;
6) other mailings under a separate law, as well as the Universal Postal Convention and international agreements.
12. article. The issue of mail recipient or sender (1) mail to the sender or addressee (8 and 14. p.) or his authorised person, with the exception to that rule (8., p. 13 and 14) in certain cases.
(2) the powers of the Postal Affairs must be issued in writing. The trustee may also participate in him in the mail content inspection, if not barred by the principal with the special instructions in the mandate. If the principal withdraws his mail privileges, universal power of attorney or a copy filed with the post office, the withdrawal shall be submitted in writing to the same post office.
13. article. Mailing service a person other than the recipient (1) if the company is declared insolvent or bankrupt, the company sent mailings to be issued by the court-appointed administrator, vendor, or the administration of the competition Board.
(2) the assets of the entities addressed postal items issued to salvage the Commission concerned or the said legal person assignees.
(3) postal items addressed to persons in penitentiaries or designated detention as a security feature, the appropriate authorities shall be issued by the administration.
(4) the mail addressed to incapacitated persons as recognized by the Court, the guardians of persons.
(5) mail addressed to institutions of treatment for sufferers, who inserted banned direct communication with healthy people, or which, in the opinion of the management is not able to understand their actions, the authorities concerned shall be issued by the administration.
(6) mail-stījum, addressed to the persons who are under the age of 16 years may be issued to parents or guardians, but children in institutions for minors placed in addressed mail pieces — administration of the relevant authorities.
(7) the mail that the recipient died, the heirs of the deceased shall be issued only with the consent of the sender. Otherwise, the consignment shall be treated as a recipient not issued. The sender's consent to take care of the consignee.
(8) if mailing membership in the event of a dispute between several persons, postal authority of such consignments shall be issued in accordance with the Court ruling.
14. article. Mailing secināšan, return and storage postal facilities (1) in order to speed up the issuing of the mailings, postal authority has the right, without requiring the permission of the sender, to make secināšan or send back consignments that after the specified address is not possible to issue and for which neither the sender nor the recipient has not received special instructions.
(2) mail that cannot be delivered to the recipient, not the sender, nor the local postal authorities kept in one month and then shall be deposited in the Central postal authorities.
(3) not issued and deposited mail shipments to proceed in accordance with postal regulations.
(4) the sender three years have the right to unpaid transfers and charged for ^ instalment amounts insured mail or money that selling it occupied. After this period the amounts in question and not selling the contents of mail across the country.
15. article. Postal material responsibility for the mail (1) Post is responsible for the material registered post such mailings for which the adoption of the sender a receipt is issued, loss, damage or shortage the content, amount of incorrect, incorrect charging of costs or not.
(2) the exception is registered post content shortage, for which the post does not answer, if it is not in the package.
(3) mail is not responsible for indirect damages, which the sender or the recipient due to the loss of mail, it contains the damage or shortage, as well as a delay.
16. article. The person who is entitled to compensation (1) the right to submit claims for the loss of mail, the content, the amount of damage or shortage cost the wrong, wrong or not charging charging is the sender. The sender that their rights may be transferred to a recipient or an authorized person.
(2) If the mail is issued to the recipient and contains damage or shortage, it found, the claim can be submitted also to the recipient or his authorised person.
Article 17. Deadline for submission of claims claims for postage, mail may be submitted within one year from the date of shipment to the post, presenting the postal receipt issued for a consignment.
18. article. Postal material responsibility for domestic shipments (1) for lost registered post, regardless of the content and weight of mail paid a reward of one hundred times the recording fee collected.
(2) for lost mail insured mail at a cost of insurance of the consignment the remuneration amount.
(3) the loss of packages not insured, if a post does not have a content list, post paid remuneration collected tariff trīsdesmitkārtīg, but if the post has a list of contents, the amount of the loss is calculated in the fourth paragraph of this article.
(4) the insured or not insured, mailing packages of content in the case of damage or shortage of mail paid the damaged or missing items in the actual value in accordance with the list of contents. The amount of remuneration calculated on lost or damaged items normal values; calculation on the basis of a list of the contents of the consignment and the same benefit and value of the subject of izgatavojum in the place and at the time, where and when the subject is taken.
(5) If a mailing is not content list or an object is not in the list above, the content of the insured in the event of a shortage, the amount of remuneration is determined from the sum insured in proportion to the reduction in the weight of the consignment, but uninsured package contents in the case of a shortfall in fees levied pro rata trīsdesmitkārtīg consignment weight decreases.
(6) for lost arrears mailing costs in the amount of the remuneration, determined on the same post without imposed arrears.
(7) lost remittances and instalment amounts of remuneration paid this amount in full.
19. article. When mail is released from responsibility for the material (1) Post material has been released from liability if the loss of mail, it contains the damage or shortage, the amount paid for the wrong, wrong for charging or not charging on the cause been a force majeure, the subject that particular characteristics or the sender's fault or if the issuance of the documents of the consignment destroyed in a fire.
(2) mail is not responsible for damage to or shortage of content in mailings, put the post office closed in the form and content of which have not been verified, but assuming the stamps and the packaging is in order and the weight is the same as specified in the item.
(3) post responsible for the mailing, if claims for those submitted after the deadline for the submission of claims or claims about them by post to the addressee of the service or the authorized person and the content of the consignment has been found to damage or shortage.
20. article. Postal material responsibility for the international mail reimbursement for international postage mail paid in accordance with the Universal Postal Convention, international rules of procedure and the provisions of the agreement.
Chapter III, article 21 of the Latvian post. Latvian post status (1) Latvian post is a legal person. The Director-General after a proposal of the Minister of transport appointed by the Cabinet of Ministers.
(2) the Latvian postal structures and work organisation is determined by the Transport Ministers approved regulations.
(3) the Latvian post is financed from its operating income, but if that is not enough, from the State budget. If the Latvian postal income exceeds expenses, including a reserve fund that over to the next financial year, and they spent for fixed asset acquisitions and infrastructure development.
(4) the Latvian post shall submit each year to the Ministry of Finance economic and financial activity report.
22. article. Latvian mail tasks and responsibilities (1) the post of Latvia is to ensure: 1) entire country comprehensive postal network functioning in order to establish a common communication standards in Latvia;
2) throughout the territory of Latvia's geographical non-differentiated use of the basic postal services;
3) with the Universal Postal Convention and other international agreements of the Republic of Latvia for the performance of the duties imposed on postal communications.
(2) the post of Latvia has the right to refuse to provide postal services, for which it distributes its monopoly.
(3) in addition to this law, referred to in article 4 of the Latvian post postal service has the right to make other compatible with the mail operations: 1) pay pensions and social benefits;
2) to accept the periodic press order and take delivery of press subscribers;
3) attest to post content;
4) accept fees for utility and other services;
5) take the postal current account and it regards or banking operations, on the basis of other laws;
6) to carry mail;
7) sell government securities;
8) provide other services and make other traffic regulations approved by the Minister the actions provided for in legislation.
(4) correspondence Letters mailing can deliver and deliver mail to recipients without the mediation of Latvia in the following cases: 1) If delivery by the sender or if delivery is patchy and it happens non profit purpose;
2) if the consignment paid by postage stamps of the Republic of Latvia after an appropriate tariff and the postage it deleted that are not valid for reuse;
3) if traffic is issued a license.
23. article. Post offices (1) the postal network functioning is our post offices. Municipalities in their administrative territory to ensure the postal authorities with appropriate facilities or buildings. Space communications for field and staying local.
(2) the Latvian post is entitled free of charge to deploy to natural and legal persons owned buildings in letters and other mail boxes in agreement the placement with the building owners.
24. article. Relations with the Latvian postal mail carriers (1) entrepreneurs who maintain regular traffic by rail or by road traffic between specific sites, be transported in Latvian mail in both directions. At the request of the Latvian post national rail must show separately the wagon or wagon Department mail transportation.
(2) the post of Latvia has the right to use the Latvian ships and put the ship owners or managers to take responsibility for transporting all kinds of mailings and periodic press, giving space to the mailings.
(3) the Latvian aircraft at the request of the Latvian postal mailings must be adopted and the periodical press for transport to the points on the route of flight.
(4) the Transport companies their stations and ports (marinas) must place at the disposal of the Latvian post requires spaces and mechanisms, as well as the Latvian postal workers free access to the mailing of loading and unloading places.
(5) mail carried a maximum weight, as well as fees for traffic use, space and mechanisms and the mail transport is determined by agreement with the Latvian mail traffic means possessor or owner.
(6) the mail carrier is responsible for moving materials mailing from the moment he took the consignment up to the moment, when he referred to the documents accompanying the consignment, declared to the same extent as mail to senders and recipients.
(7) If, due to unforeseen circumstances the transport of mail by land roads is impossible or its transport is not possible to continue normally with the planned traffic means any person against remuneration, to offer the necessary assistance in the transport of a consignment of mail and give the necessary traffic feature.
The Parliament adopted the law of 12 May 1994.
The President g. Ulmanis in Riga, 31 May 1994, in