The Saeima has adopted and the President promulgated the following laws: the amendments to the law "on conformity assessment" make law "on conformity assessment" (Latvian Saeima and the Cabinet of Ministers rapporteur, 1996, no. 18) as follows: 1. Article 1: expressions of paragraph 1 by the following: "1) accreditation-procedure in which this statutory authority provides official recognition that the legal or natural person is competent to carry out specific tasks;"
make paragraph 6 by the following: "6) competent conformity assessment bodies: the body, the competence of which is rated and complies with the legislation requirements;";
make paragraph 10 by the following: ' 10) certification-independent third party certifying that the product, process or service conforms to applicable standards or other regulatory requirements set out in the Act; ";
turn off throughout the article, the words "within the meaning of this law".
2. Express article 2 by the following: ' article 2. This law determines the conformity assessment general principles regulated sphere and accreditation systems in regulated and non-regulated sphere. "
3. To make article 4 by the following: "article 4. This law shall apply to all legal and natural persons who claim to be the product, process or service conformity assessment. "
4. Turn off the title of chapter III, the words "and non-regulated".
5. Put article 5 by the following: "article 5. (1) conformity assessment for regulated sphere refers to the products and potential risks that can threaten human health, safety, the environment or other public interests.
(2) conformity assessment for regulated sphere of food, animal feed and pharmaceutical products lays down special rules. "
6. Express 6 and article 7 by the following: "article 6. Conformity assessment for regulated sphere by the responsible Ministry of the Cabinet of Ministers on a proposal made by competent authorized certification and inspection bodies and the testing and calibration laboratory or in accordance with international agreements or protocols of the European Commission announced. The notified body shall assess the competence of the Ministry of Economic Affairs held by the non-profit organization public limited liability company Latvian National Accreditation Bureau (hereinafter referred to as the Latvian National Accreditation Bureau).
7. article. (1) a particular product, process or service essential requirements and their compliance monitoring mechanisms by the responsible Ministry proposal establishes Cabinet of Ministers.
(2) the bodies which take supervision of regulated market sphere, and the order in which market surveillance is to be determined by the Cabinet of Ministers. "
7. Replace article 8, the words "Foreign Ministry" with the words "economic Ministry".
8. Turn off the article 9.
9. Turn off the article 11.
10. To supplement article 13 with the second and third subparagraphs by the following: "(2) the Latvian National Accreditation Council is a consultative body of testing and calibration laboratories and certification and inspection bodies accreditation in regulated and non-regulated sphere, it participates in the development of national policy in the field of accreditation and facilitate cooperation with international accreditation bodies. This Council regulation and personnel after the Economic Ministers approved a recommendation to Cabinet.
(3) the Latvian National Accreditation Bureau can create sectoral Technical Committee to advise the Latvian National Accreditation Bureau specific technical issues in the sectors concerned. "
11. To make article 14 the following: ' article 14. (1) the Latvian National Accreditation Bureau shall: 1) quality system, staff and product certification and inspection bodies and the testing and calibration laboratory accreditation and monitoring of regulated and non-regulated sphere;
2) quality system, staff and product certification and inspection bodies and for the competence of testing and calibration laboratories for the evaluation and monitoring of the regulated sphere.
(2) the Latvian National Accreditation Bureau's main functions are: 1) evaluate, accredit and supervise the certification and inspection bodies and the testing and calibration laboratories according to national standards, regulations, European or international standards requirements;
2) technical to ensure Latvian National Accreditation Board;
3) organize sectoral Technical Committee for accreditation;
4) to train experts in the accreditation and accreditation of professionals involved;
5) organize and coordinate inter-laboratory comparative testing in accordance with the Latvian, European and international requirements;
6) collaborate with other national accreditation bodies;
7) to represent Latvia in international accreditation organisations;
8) to maintain and update the database of accredited institutions information;
9 after the request of the Ministry) to provide information on accredited institutions and their scope.
(3) accreditation system financing arrangements are as follows: 1) from the State budget finances: a) the Latvian National Accreditation Bureau functions, b) membership fee international accreditation organisations;
2) all with competence evaluation, accreditation and monitoring of expenditure in accordance with the conditions of the contract shall be borne by the institution to be accredited, or being evaluated. "
12. Express article 16 and 17 the following: ' article 16. Foreign conformity assessment issued receipts and confirmations, as well as foreign conformity assessment system in Latvia is officially recognized, if between Latvia and the country or countries concerned there is mutual agreement on recognition of conformity assessment systems.
Article 17. If between Latvia and the countries concerned, there is no mutual agreement on the recognition of conformity assessment system, then this country issued the conformity assessment certificate or recognised in accordance with the approval of the Cabinet. "
13. Turn off the article 18.
14. Express transitional provisions the following transitional provisions: 1. the Cabinet of Ministers until May 1, 2000, to submit the necessary amendments to the Parliament and to develop other regulations.
2. Cabinet of Ministers regulations, issued in accordance with article 7 of this law shall remain in force until the new Cabinet of Ministers regulations on entry into force, but no longer than up to May 1, 2000. "
The law, adopted in 1999 by the Parliament on 21 October.
State v. President Vaira Vīķe-Freiberga in Riga in 1999 on November 10.