Read the untranslated law here: https://www.vestnesis.lv/ta/id/206967
The Saeima has adopted and the President promulgated the following laws: the law on scientific activities do scientific activities Act (Republic of Latvia Saeima and the Cabinet of Ministers rapporteur, 2005, nr. 10; 2007, 15. no; 2009, 2., no. 14) the following amendments: 1. Add to article 5 of the fourth subparagraph by the following: "(4) the new scientist is a physical person conducting scientific operations and in accordance with the procedure laid down in this law, the first scientific qualifications acquired in the last 10 years."
2. Make the text of article 9 as follows: "(1) information on scientific research, financed from the State or local government, is open.
(2) For scientific research financed from the State budget or a derived public person, responsible for the execution of the budget authority, which commissioned the research, the research results provide universal access.
(3) in the cases specified in the law, the availability of information relating to scientific research, may limit. "
3. in article 11: replace the second sentence of the second paragraph, the words "thesis is right to defend the person who successfully completed an accredited doctoral program" with the words "thesis is right to defend degree applicant who has successfully acquired the accredited doctoral programs academic part and prepared thesis defense";
replace the third paragraph, the words "if it is implemented in the doctoral study program" with the words "if it is implemented in the accredited doctoral programmes and in the implementation of this programme involved no less than three Latvian Science Council approved experts";
to make a fifth by the following: "(5) the dissertation may be submitted in an official language or in one of the official languages of the European Union, adding expanded thesis summary translation into national languages. Public advocacy can take place in the official language or one of the official languages of the European Union, by agreement with the author, and the doctoral degree-granting Council endorsement. Public advocacy Philology PhD abstraction can also occur in another foreign language. "
4. To supplement the law with article 12.1, as follows: "article 12.1. National emeritēt Scientist Award (1) outstanding, internationally recognized scientists after statutory retirement age may be granted the status of national emeritēt scientist.
(2) the decision on the national emeritēt scientist status adopted by the Latvian Academy of Sciences, found the national emeritēt Council of scientific views. Public emeritēt Council of scientists confirm the Minister of education and science for four years.
(3) the State shall grant the scientist emeritēt life grant: benefit paid in addition to the old-age pension. The cost of the Latvian Academy of Sciences of the Ministry of education and science in the scientific activities budget financial means.
(4) the Cabinet determines the national status of the applicant emeritēt scientists in setting the agenda, the selection criteria and procedures for the granting of national status and emeritēt scientist life grant, grant's life to be granted, as well as the national emeritēt Council of scientific procedures and basic rules of operation. "
5. Express article 15 the following: ' article 15. The Latvian Science Council (1) the Latvian Science Council are delegated representatives of: 1) the Latvian Academy of Sciences, five;
2) National Association of scientific institutes: one;
3) Rector Council — one;
4) the Latvian Science Council Commission of experts: five;
5) Latvian scientists, one of the Union;
6) new scientific Association of Latvia — one (New Scientist);
7) Prime Minister's representative — one;
8) the Ministry of education and Science: one;
9) the Ministry of the economy, one;
10) Ministry of health — one;
11), Ministry of the environment — one;
12) regional development and local government Ministry, one;
13), one Ministry of agriculture;
14) Ministry of culture: one;
15) employers ' Confederation of Latvia — one.
(2) the President of the Council of science of Latvia is the Latvian Academy of Sciences.
(3) the Latvian Science Council's competence in the matter is decided, if the voting participated in not less than two-thirds of its membership and voted "for" more than half of those present. "
6. in article 16: Supplement point 4, after the word "evaluation" with the words "three months";
Add to article 8.1 of the following paragraph: ' 81) University doctoral program in the nomination of experts for approval in accordance with this law, article 11, third paragraph; ".
7. Express article 37.1 by the following: ' article 37.1. National Research Institute of the National University or public College in Institute of scientific research (1) remuneration of employees in the National Science Institute, National University or public College in Institute, scientific research staff consists of: 1 the remuneration) remuneration which the employee is allocated and calculated in accordance with national and local government bodies and officials of employee rewards rules and regulations for base funding arrangements;
2) remuneration that under this Act are paid from the State or National University Scientific Institute in the implementation of contracts for financial instruments and the amount determined in accordance with the Scientific Institute for internal wage policy, as well as the scientific basis of the contracts concluded by the Institute.
(2) from the national budget, the European Union and foreign financial support of research financed from the resources used for the implementation of projects on time and work tracking system is determined by the Cabinet of Ministers. "
8. Replace article 38 of the second subparagraph of paragraph 2, the words "pay" with the word "remuneration".
9. To supplement the law with article 24.3 of the following: ' article 24.3. National scientific institutions entitled to the use of national intellectual property national scientific institution has the right to use the intellectual property created national budget funded scientific activities. The Cabinet of this property use the procedure and conditions for national scientific institutions under the intellectual property laws and regulatory rules. "
10. transitional provisions be supplemented with paragraph 15 and 16 by the following: ' article 15 of this law 12.1 shall enter into force on July 1, 2010. The Cabinet of Ministers until 30 June 2010 issued by this law, in the fourth paragraph of article 12.1 the proposed Cabinet.
16. Article 10 of this law, a fifth of the lapse by January 1, 2011. "
The Parliament adopted the law of 4 March 2010.
President Valdis Zatlers in Riga V 2010 24 March
Search Translated Laws of Latvia