Read the untranslated law here: https://www.vestnesis.lv/ta/id/212399
The Saeima has adopted and the President promulgated the following laws: Law 1. Movie article. The terms used in the law (1) the terms used in the law comply with the copyright law, if the terminology in this Act provides otherwise.
(2) the Act is used in the following terms: 1) movie — complete audiovisual or cinematographic work, which consists of interconnected and motion picture series of creative effects with sound accompaniment or without it and intended for issue;
2) film industry, cultural industry, spanning the Latvian movie making, Latvian and foreign film distribution, Latvian film heritage conservation, protection, and promotion of accessibility;
3) film industry project, a project aimed at Latvia's film, storage, protection, promotion and dissemination of public information and education the film art, film industry professionals, international cooperation in the field of films, etc.;
4) movie: the creative process, which is created during the movie;
5 movies-film co-production), built in cooperation with Latvian Latvian and foreign producers or producers;
6 movies-distribution) at the same time or after the disclosure Act, with which the film makes available to the public (including trade, rental, public demonstration, broadcasts on television, the internet and in other ways);
7) classification index of films — sign certain criteria that indicate the film and its contents, the likely effect on the viewer of a certain age groups;
8) public funds — the State budget or local budget funds, State and local government administration in the European Union and foreign financial aid granted by tender film industry projects.
2. article. The purpose of the law the purpose of the Act is to ensure the development of the film industry in Latvia, support the creation and distribution of films, as well as the preservation, protection, availability, and promotion.
3. article. Latvian film on film: film 1) considered that the legislation that established the national film centre of Latvia established in the movie producer and creator of the main creative team for at least one Member (Director, screenplay author, composer, film artist, animation artist, operator) is a Latvian citizen or non-citizen of Latvia or a person who has received a permanent residence permit in Latvia;
2) to this law, the date of entry into force of the finished film as an essential part of the Latvian cultural heritage that is artistic, historical, scientific or other cultural value.
4. article. Latvian film conservation and protection (1) year after the completion of the Latvian film which received public funding, the film producer shall submit to the Latvian National Archives an original or a copy of the movie in a format that allows you to get the original movie quality.
(2) the Latvian film producer who created the Latvian film has been allocated public funds, after the movie is completed, you can submit to the Latvian National Archives an original or a copy of the movie in a format that allows you to get the original movie quality.
(3) the order in which the Latvian movie is transferred to the State in the Latvian National Archives storing as well as deposited films accessible and shall lay down the procedure for the use of the Archives law.
5. article. State-owned and the movie use jurisdiction (1) Copyright statutory licenses for the use of such films, which owns copyright or related right or a State issued the National Film Centre, where other laws provide otherwise.
(2) the fee for the use of films the National Film Centre established pursuant to Cabinet of Ministers established the methodology to calculate the fee for the film use, copyright or related right belongs or the State. This provision does not apply to documents that are released to the public in the Latvian National Archives storing.
6. article. Film classification (1) the classification of the Film aims to inform about the film's content and its potential impact on viewers, especially children, showing them with the proper classification of the movie index. The film's distributor is obliged to indicate the relevant classification index movie viewer right visible, comprehensible and unambiguous manner.
(2) the Film Classification index award criteria, the order in which the film producer or distributor of the film classification indexes are classified in the territory of the Republic of Latvia, as well as the movie indicates the film classification indexes, determined by the Cabinet of Ministers.
7. article. Movie producer registration (1) to provide information about the movie industry representative indicators, as well as promote public funding and budgetary control and monitoring of the National Film Centre will create and maintain a movie producer. Movie producer of the data to be included in the registry and registry arrangements laid down bringing the Cabinet of Ministers.
(2) On the registration of a movie producer will be charged duty. Government fees and the payment arrangements determined by the Cabinet of Ministers.
8. article. Public financing conditions for the Latvian film making (1) public funding for the Latvian movie regardless of administrētāj may grant funding if it meets at least three of the following conditions: 1) movies take place mainly in Latvia or in another country of the European Union or the European economic area or Switzerland;
2) at least one of the main protagonists is related to culture or territories of Latvia, Latvian language spoken;
3) film director or screenplay writer is a Latvian citizen or non-citizen of Latvia or a person who has received a permanent residence permit in Latvia, or the author of the scenario is a person who speaks Latvian language;
4) the main theme of the movie is a cultural, social, political or historical questions concerning the Latvian society and is essential to it;
5) one of the movies original language is Latvian galaversij;
6) movies based on the scenario of the Latvian literary originals.
(2) the Co-production film is eligible for public funding, if it corresponds to the first paragraph of this article, or if provided for in the Republic of Latvia in the film industry and binding co-produced film making in governing international treaties.
(3) public funding granted to the Latvian movie making movie producer registered in the register of a movie producer, trader, association or Foundation.
(4) if the financial resources allocated are not used according to the terms of the financing agreement, granting public funding to recover from the beneficiary the assigned and inadequate financial resources used.
9. article. National Film Centre funding administered by the Latvian film industry projects (1) the decision on the allocation of public funding for the film industry to support the project or the refusal to grant public funding adopted national film Centre Manager, subject to the opinion of the Commission of experts.
(2) the first paragraph of this article may be challenged the decision, but the Ministry of culture, Ministry of Culture, may appeal to the Court. The draft decision or appeal shall not suspend its activity.
(3) the cabinet shall determine the public funding applied for the competition film industry the provisions of the project preparation, evaluation criteria, decision-making procedures, as well as monitoring funded projects.
10. article. The National Film Centre, its jurisdiction (1) the National Film Centre is the Minister of culture of the Government direct authority, in the exercise of State policy for the movie industry.
(2) National Film Centre within their competence: 1) administered and awarded by tender of public funding means film industry projects;
2) organized film industry design contests;
3) controls the national film centre administered the use of public funding;
4) promotes Latvian audiovisual cultural values, promoting Latvian movie availability and distribution in Latvia and in the world;
5) coordinate the participation of the Latvian film industry of foreign audiovisual support programs;
6) led movie producer register;
7) monitor the film classification rules;
8) collects and analyzes information about the film industry;
9) administered by the State-owned or the jurisdiction of the film copyright and related rights;
10 movie co-production status) grants, including under the European Convention on cinematographic co-production;
11) other laws and specific functions and tasks.
(3) National Film Centre is funded from the State budget allocations from general revenue from earmarked revenue as well as revenue, including revenue from fees for services rendered, from donations, donations and foreign financial aid funds.
11. article. Co-financing of foreign films in Latvia with the aim to attract foreign funding for the film industry and other sectors in national film Centre is administered and allocated by tender State budget co-funding for the reception of foreign films in Latvia. State budget co-financing modalities determined by the Cabinet of Ministers.
12. article. Latvian Film Council
(1) the Latvian Film Council is a consultative body that creates and which rules and limits approved by the Minister of culture.
(2) the Latvian Film Council is composed of two film industry non-governmental organizations delegated representatives, one representative from the Ministry of culture, national film Centre, the national capital fund movie art industry expert commissions, national radio and Television Council, Latvian Academy of Culture, public television, commercial, as well as two experts representing the film industry's creative, production, distribution or conservation areas.
(3) the Latvian Film Council: 1) advise film industry strategies and policy development;
2) deliver opinions on matters related to the film industry and its development;
3) analyzes the movie industry regulatory legislation and make proposals to improve it.
(4) the Latvian Film Council provided by the Ministry of culture.
Transitional provisions 1. Cabinet of Ministers until 30 June 2010 adopted this law, article 6, in the second paragraph of article 7 in the first and second paragraphs of the proposed Cabinet.
2. This law article 5 second paragraph shall enter into force on July 1, 2011.
3. Article 11 of this law shall enter into force on January 1, 2013.
The law shall enter into force on the day following its promulgation.
The Parliament adopted the law of June 17, 2010.
President Valdis Zatlers in Riga V 2010 June 29
Search Translated Laws of Latvia