Read the untranslated law here: https://www.vestnesis.lv/ta/id/221374
The Saeima has adopted and the President promulgated the following laws: the United Nations Educational, scientific and Cultural Organization Commission of the Latvian national law article 1. The purpose of the law and action (1) of the Act establishes the United Nations Educational, scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), Latvian National Commission (hereinafter the Commission) legal status, organizational structure, functions and funding arrangements.
(2) the purpose of the Commission is to strengthen education, science, culture, communication and information of the public and the public's role in sustainable development, strengthening of statehood, in the implementation of democratic values and poverty reduction, as well as to promote public welfare, equality of its members, and mutual respect.
2. article. The Commission's legal status and structure (1) the Commission has derived a public law legal person. Commission's decision-making body is the Assembly, the administrative work of the Commission, chaired by the Secretary-General.
(2) the Commission has, under the supervision of the Cabinet.
(3) the Commission shall act in accordance with this law, other laws and regulations of the Commission approved by the Assembly.
3. article. The functions and powers of the Commission (1) the Commission shall have the following functions: 1) ensure and coordinate the successful participation of the Republic of Latvia to UNESCO, the involvement of national and local government bodies, non-governmental and private organizations, especially those operating in the fields of education, science, culture, communication and information;
2) be on the information, coordination and cooperation centre in UNESCO in education, science, culture, communication and information;
3) to develop and validate the action plans for the implementation of the programme and UNESCO organize the plan;
4) create, maintain and develop networking with national and local government bodies and non-governmental and private organizations, and individual experts;
5) deliver opinions, to express opinions and make proposals for UNESCO in education, science, culture, communication and information issues;
6) represent the national interests of the UNESCO and the related intergovernmental and international organizations, in cooperation with other national institutions;
7) make the Republic of Latvia and the other UNESCO normative statutory functions and responsibilities associated with the implementation of the objectives of the Commission.
(2) functions in the course of State and local authorities are obliged to cooperate with the Commission and to inform them on issues related to UNESCO's education, science, culture, communication and information.
(3) decisions relating to the UNESCO in education, science, culture, communication and information sector, State and local authorities take account of the Commission's decisions, opinions and views.
(4) the Cabinet of Ministers, in its order of roll determines the cases in which the subject on Cabinet documents to UNESCO in education, science, culture, communication and information sector agreed with the Commission.
(5) the national regulatory authority may delegate to the Commission the administrative tasks associated with UNESCO in education, science, culture, communication and information issues.
4. article. To the right of the Commission (1) the Commission for the performance of its functions has the right to take all legal actions, as well as certain economic activities related to the implementation of the objectives of the Commission, and to participate in educational programmes.
(2) the Commission may gain of movable and immovable property. It can be owned intellectual property.
(3) the Commission shall have the right to request and receive from State and local authorities for the performance of its functions the required information related to UNESCO's education, science, culture, communication and information.
5. article. The Assembly consists of (1) the composition of the Assembly is the Assembly of 21:1), the Minister of culture;
2) Minister of education and science;
3) Minister of Foreign Affairs;
4) representative, Ministry of the environment;
5) regional development and local government Ministry spokesman;
6) a representative of the Ministry of finance;
7) a representative of the Ministry of Justice;
8) Ministry of welfare representative;
9) Parliamentary education, culture and science, the President of the Commission;
10) President's representative;
11) Latvian permanent representation in UNESCO;
12) Latvian Academy of science spokesman;
13) Latvian National Library Director;
14) national cultural monuments protection inspection supervisor;
15) Latvian University Rector;
16) creative Union of Latvia, the President of the Council;
17) Latvian Youth Council President;
18 municipal Union of Latvia) representative;
19) Latvia's national cultural associations representative of the Association;
20) Latvian information and communication technology Association representative;
21) national electronic media Council representative.
(2) the authority delegated their representatives to work at the Assembly for a period of not more than four years. An institution may delegate a person to replace the institution's representative during his absence. If a representative of the institution is away and does not participate in the two meetings of the Assembly, the institution delegates to work in another representative Assembly. The members of the Assembly of the expiration of the term institution may delegate to that person again.
(3) the Minister and the heads of the institutions in his absence, as well as if the Minister or the head of the Authority ceased to perform his duties, before the other person or the appointed to approved posts, replaces legislation that established the appointed executor. A member of the Assembly, who shall perform the other duties of the members of the Assembly, there is only one voice.
6. article. Organization of work of the Assembly and decisions (1) meetings of the Assembly shall be convened as necessary but not less frequently than twice a year. The President of the Commission shall convene a meeting of the Assembly, at the request of at least five members of the Assembly or by the Secretary-General.
(2) the Assembly session is full, if at least one half of the members of the Assembly. The decisions of the Assembly of the members of the Assembly members. If the votes are divided into equal, the President of the Commission a decisive voice.
(3) Commission decisions of the Assembly. Its decisions are binding on the institutions of the Republic of Latvia finished national positions concerning the Commission's areas of competence.
(4) the work of the Assembly, the President of the Commission. The Commission in the absence of the President of the Assembly shall be chaired by one of the Vice-Presidents of the Assembly, in accordance with the established procedure.
7. article. The President and Vice-President of the Commission (1) the President of the Commission is the Minister of culture. Vice-President of the Commission is the Minister for Foreign Affairs and the Minister of education and science.
(2) the President of the Commission shall convene meetings of the Assembly, establish the agenda, venue and time, chaired, as well as represent and represent the Commission.
(3) in the absence of the President of the Commission to his obligations by one of the Vice-Presidents of the Assembly, in accordance with the established procedure.
8. article. The Secretary General of the Assembly (1) the Secretary-General shall be selected in an open tender and recruited for a period of five years. Not later than two months before the term of Office of the Secretary-General, the Assembly shall decide by the end of his term of Office, extension for five years or the reasoned decision on dismissal and advertised open tender to the Secretary General. Employment contract with the Secretary-General, the President of the Commission, the switch.
(2) the Secretary-General of the Administrative Commission work, perform Assembly tasks, ensure its implementation, the decision represented the Commission, and shall be exempt from the work of the Commission staff and other regulations laid down by the Chairman of the authority.
9. article. The Commission's financial resources and the funding arrangements (1) the Commission's financial resources shall consist of: 1) the national budget;
2) legal and natural persons, including foreign legal and natural persons, gifts and donations;
3) revenue from economic activities.
(2) the municipality may participate in the financing of the Commission.
(3) the State budget to finance the operation of the Commission is given the annual State budget law of the Ministry of culture in particular subprogrammes established for that purpose.
(4) the Commission may receive State budgetary funds for the mission, the programs or measures.
Transitional provisions 1. With the entry into force of this law shall lapse by law "for the UNESCO National Commission of the Republic of Latvia's constitutional approval" (Latvian Saeima and the Cabinet of Ministers rapporteur, 1995, no 2).
2. After the entry into force of this law by 12 May 1992 the Supreme Council established in Commission decision shall continue to operate under this law as derived from public law legal person.
3. the Commission's Charter to be approved within one month after the entry into force of this law.
4. Before the date of entry into force of the law approved by the Secretary-General in term of four years from the date on which the Secretary-General approved post according to the law "on the UNESCO National Commission of the Republic of Latvia's constitutional approval".
The law in the Parliament adopted the 2010 October 28.
President Valdis Zatlers in Riga of the 2010 November 17.
Search Translated Laws of Latvia