Read the untranslated law here: https://www.vestnesis.lv/ta/id/242007
The Saeima has adopted and the President promulgated the following laws: the amendments to the code of the sea do sea code (Latvian Saeima and the Cabinet of Ministers rapporteur, 2003, nr. 14; 2006, 2. No; 2007, 9. no; 2008, 13. no; Latvian journal 2010, 174. No.) the following amendments: 1. To supplement the code with Chapter XII1 of the following: "chapter XII1. Shipping insurance for maritime claims in article 56.1. Insurance responsibility General requirements (1) if the vessel's tonnage of Latvia is 300 tonnes or greater, its owner, bareboat charterer or other for operation of the responsible person is obliged to insure the ships for maritime claims which must be covered by restrictions laid down in the 1976 Convention on limitation of liability for maritime claims, as amended by the Protocol of 1996 (LLMC).
(2) for the purposes of this chapter, insurance means insurance with or without intensive, pašapdrošināšan, as well as other similar financial support.
(3) the first paragraph of this article proves the insurance the insurer issued a document that certifies the existence of the insurance contract (article turpmākš — document) and shall include the following information: 1 name of vessel) of the International Maritime Organization (IMO) number and note the port;
2) by the owner, the bareboat charterer or the other responsible for the operation of the ship's name, last name, or the name and principal place of business;
3 the type and duration of the policyholder);
4 the name of the insurer), registered office (home or establishment) and the place of conclusion of the insurance contract.
(4) if the document is not in English, French or Spanish, the translation in one of these languages. The document is stored on board.
(5) the provisions of this chapter shall also apply to foreign ships that enter a port or anchorage of Latvia or exit, as well as Latvian territorial sea is located.
(6) the provisions of this chapter do not apply to state-owned or in use for vessels that are used exclusively for public purposes and not for commercial purposes.
Article 56.2. Insurance sum 56.1 this code referred to in the first subparagraph of article insurance sum each ship in each accident, complies with article 69 of this code in the first and second paragraphs of article 70, first paragraph in the specified limitation of liability ceilings. "
2. Replace article 64, first paragraph, the words "the number of the 1976 Convention on limitation of liability for maritime claims (LLMC) (liability Convention)" with the abbreviation "LLMC".
3. Express article 66 (1) of the following: "1) requirements related to the rescue, including requirements (if any) for special compensation pursuant to the amended 1989, international rescue, article 14 of the Convention or the general contributions to accidents;".
4. Express article 69 of the first and the second part as follows: "(1) the limit of Liability for claims related to the human loss of life or injury to his health, for each case, with the exception of article 70 in this code, the above requirements are specified in the following: 1) two million units of account for a ship with a capacity not exceeding 2000 units of tonnage;
2) for vessels with a tonnage of more than 2000 units of tonnage, this part of the amount referred to in paragraph 1 shall be: (a)) if the tonnage from 2001 to 30 000 units of tonnage, — for each unit in the unit, (b) settlement 800) if the tonnage of 30 001 to 70 000 tonnes, — for each unit in the unit, (c) settlement 600) for each unit, which exceed 70 000 tonnes — 400 units of account.
(2) the limits of liability in relation to any other requirements for each specific case, the exception referred to in article 70 of the code requirements are specified in the following: 1) one million units of account for a ship with a capacity not exceeding 2000 units of tonnage;
2) for vessels with a tonnage of more than 2000 units of tonnage, this part of the amount referred to in paragraph 1 shall be: (a)) if the tonnage from 2001 to 30 000 units of tonnage, — for each unit in the unit, (b) settlement 400) if the tonnage of 30 001 to 70 000 tonnes, for each unit of settlement units, c 300) for each unit, which exceed 70 000 tonnes — 200 units of settlement. "
5. Article 70, first paragraph: replace the words "the number of settlement units" with 46 666 number and the words "175 000 units of account";
exclude words and number "but it should not exceed 25 million units of account".
6. Replace article 76, second paragraph, the words "Liability Convention State" with the abbreviation and the word "LLMC" Member State.
7. transitional provisions be supplemented with paragraph 9 by the following: "9. The owner, bareboat charterer or other for operation of the responsible person shall ensure that the chapter XII1 of this code in the vessel's insurance obligation is completed no later than February 1, 2012."
8. Make the informative reference to European Union directives as follows: "Informative reference to European Union directives, Codex rules arising from: 1) of the Council of 21 June 1999, Directive 1999/63/EC concerning the agreement on the organisation of working time of seafarers concluded by the European Community shipowners ' Association (ECSA) and the Federation of Transport workers ' unions in the European Union (FST);
2) of the European Parliament and of the Council of 23 April 2009. directive 2009/20/EC on the insurance of shipowners for maritime claims. "
The law shall enter into force on January 1, 2012.
The law adopted by the Parliament in 2011 on 15 December.
The President a. Smith in 2011 December 29.
Search Translated Laws of Latvia