Read the untranslated law here: http://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/bildscharbv/BJNR184300996.html
Regulation on health and safety at work with display screen equipment (screen work Ordinance - Bildschirmarbeitsverordnung) Bildschirmarbeitsverordnung Ausfertigung date: 04.12.1996 full quotation: "Ordinance of 4 December 1996 (BGBl. I S. 1841, 1843), most recently by article 7 of the Decree of December 18, 2008 (BGBl. I S. 2768) has been changed" stand: last amended by article 7 V v. 18.12.2008 I 2768 more to the stand number you found in the menu under instructions this regulation serves the following directive in conjunction with the occupational safety and Health Act : Directive 90/270/EEC of 29 May 1990 on the minimum rules relating to the safety and health requirements for work with display screen equipment (OJ EC No. L 156, p. 14).
Footnote (+++ text detection from: 20.12.1996 +++) (+++ official note of the standard authority on EC law: implementation of the EWGRL 270/90 (CELEX Nr: 390 L 0270) +++ the V 3 V v. 4.12.1996 was adopted as article I 1841 (ArbSchEGRLUmsV) by the Federal Government with the consent of the Bundesrat.) She is mWv 20.12.1996 into force article 5 of this V ACC..
§ 1 scope of application (1) this Regulation applies to the work with display screen equipment.
(2) 3. data processing systems, which are intended primarily for use by the public, 4th screen devices for mobile use, if not regularly used at a workplace, 5 calculators, cash registers, or other equipment with a small data or measurement display device this regulation does not apply to work on 1 operator places by machines or driver seats of vehicles with display screen equipment, 2. display screen equipment on Board of means of transport, , which is required for immediate use of the work equipment, as well as 6 typewriters of traditional design with a display.
(3) the regulation does not apply in establishments that are subject to the Federal Mining Act.
(4) the Federal Chancellor's Office, the Federal Ministry of the Interior, the Federal Ministry for transport, building and urban development, the Ministry of Defense or the Ministry of finance can, as far as they do this are each responsible, in consultation with the Federal Ministry of labour and Social Affairs and, as far as not the Ministry of the Interior itself is responsible, in consultation with the Federal Ministry of the Interior to determine that for certain activities in the public service of the Federation , especially in the German armed forces, the police, civil and civil protection services, customs or intelligence services, provisions of this regulation wholly or in part not to apply are, as far as public interests necessarily require this in particular to the maintenance or restoration of public security. In this case, it is at the same time to determine how to ensure the safety and health protection of workers pursuant to this regulation in other ways.
Article 2 definitions (1) display screen equipment within the meaning of this regulation is a screen to display alphanumeric characters or graphic display, regardless of the representation procedure.
(2) workstations is a workplace with a screen device within the meaning of this regulation, the equipped 2. software that is the employees to perform their work tasks available, 3 auxiliary units and elements belonging to the operation or use of the screen device, or 4. can be with 1. centres for the collection of data, other means of work, as well as the immediate working environment.
(3) employees within the meaning of this regulation are workers who use display screen equipment usually during a significant part of their normal duties.
§ 3 employer workstations the safety and health conditions in particular with regard to a possible risk of vision as well as physical problems and mental workloads to determine assessment of working conditions in the assessment of working conditions has according to § 5 of the OSH Act and to assess.
§ 4 requirements for the design of (1) the employer must take appropriate measures to ensure that VDU workstations comply with the requirements of the annex and any other legislation.
(2) workstations, the up to 20 December 1996 in operation are, 1 if these jobs are substantially modified or 2. If the assessment of working conditions according to § 3 that by working on these jobs life or health of workers is at risk, meet the employer then has the appropriate measures referred to in paragraph 1, at the latest however up to 31 December 1999 (3) the requirements of the annex must be adhered to , if 1 the specific requirements of the screen work or nature of the activities in conflict these requirements or 2 becomes the VDU workstations according to the respective capabilities of it working disabled people considering the nature and severity of disability and are complied with in safety and health in other ways.
Daily work flow of the employer has the activity of the workers to organise that the daily work with display screen equipment is interrupted regularly by other activities or breaks, each to reduce the burden of work on the screen device § 5.
6 examination of eyes and eyesight for the examination of eyes and eyesight including the Zurverfügungstellens of special visual aids shall apply the regulation on occupational health screening by December 18, 2008 (Federal Law Gazette I pp. 2768), the annexed part 4 contains an occasion to offer examinations in the currently valid version.
§ 7 (dropped out) - Annex at DSE workstations to requirements screen device and keyboard 1.
The characters displayed on the screen must be sharp, clear and big enough and have a reasonable character and line spacing.
2. the image displayed on the screen must be stable and free from flicker; There must be no distortion.
3. the brightness of the screen display and the contrast between characters and drawing surface on the screen must be easily adjustable and can be adapted to the conditions of the working environment.
4. the screen must be free of disturbing reflections and glare.
5. the display screen equipment must be free and easily rotatable and Tiltable.
6. the keyboard must be separated from the display and tilt, so that the user can have an ergonomic work posture.
7. the keyboard and the other Eingabemittel can be arranged variably on the work surface. The work area in front of the keyboard must allow a laying on of hands.
8. the keyboard must have a low-reflection surface.
9 form and stop the keys must allow an ergonomic operation of the keyboard. The caption of the buttons must clearly stand out from the background and be readable in normal working position.
Other equipment 10.
The work desk or work surface must have a sufficiently large and low-reflection surface and allow a flexible arrangement of the screen device, keyboard, of writing material, and other work equipment. There must be sufficient space for an ergonomic work posture. A separate stand can be used for the display.
11. the work Chair must be ergonomic and stable.
12. the holder must be stable and adjustable and so it can be arranged that uncomfortable head and eye movements are restricted as much as possible.
13. a footrest is to provide an ergonomic work posture without footrest cannot be reached on request.
Working environment 14.
On the workstations must be sufficient room for changing working postures and movements.
15. the lighting must correspond to the type of the task and be adapted to the vision of the user; This is to ensure an appropriate contrast between the screen and work environment. The design of workstations as well as interpretation and arrangement of lighting are distracting glare, to avoid reflections or reflections on the screen and the other equipment.
16 workstations are set so that illuminated or illuminated surfaces cause no glare and reflections on the screen as far as possible be avoided. The Windows must be equipped with a suitable adjustable light protection device by which the strength of the daylight on the workstations can be reduce.
17. in the design of workstations by equipment belonging to workstation is the noise, caused is to reflect in particular to an impairment of concentration and to avoid the speech intelligibility.
18. the equipment must not cause an increased heat stress on the workstations, which is software. It is to ensure a sufficient air moisture.
19. the radiation must - be kept, so low with the exception of the visible part of the electromagnetic spectrum - that it is irrelevant for the safety and health of the user of the device of screen.
Work together human - equipment 20.
The principles of ergonomics are to apply in particular to the processing of information by the people.
21. in the development, selection, acquisition and modification of software, as well as in the design of the work with display screen equipment, the employer has to take into account the following principles, particularly in regard to the ease of use: 21.1 the software must be adapted to the task to perform.
21.2 the systems shall be immediately or at the request of the respective dialog processes users.
21.3 the systems need to allow users as well as any errors in handling describe and allow their removal with limited amount of work affecting the respective dialog sequences.
21.4 the software must be adjusted according to the knowledge and experiences of the users with regard to the task to perform.
22. unbeknownst to the user, no device cannot be used for the qualitative or quantitative control.
Search Translated Laws of Germany