of 24 July 2003. February 2000 on the protection of Olympic symbols
In order to reinforce the ideas and spirit of the Olympic movement as a means of
the peace of understanding and cooperation between the peoples, the role of international and
National Olympic committees as the governing bodies of this movement and to
security obligations of the resulting Parliament decided on this
Act of the Czech Republic:
The subject of the edit
This Act regulates certain rights and obligations in connection with the
the use of Olympic symbols and protection against its misuse; by
are without prejudice to the provisions of other legislation. ^ 1)
The Olympic symbolism
(1) the Olympic symbolism are
the Olympic symbol),
(b)), the Olympic flag,
c) Olympic password
(d)), the Olympic flame,
(e)) the Olympic torch,
f) Olympic anthem
g) Olympic emblems,
h) the terms "Olympic" and "Olympiad",
(hereinafter referred to as "Olympic symbolism").
(2) the Olympic symbolism they are registered under applicable legal
legislation and international agreements on the protection of industrial and intellectual property
ownership, which is the Czech Republic tied. ^ 2)
The use of Olympic symbols
(1) any use of the Olympic symbols for commercial, advertising or
other similar purposes is possible only on the basis of the prior written
authority; without prejudice to the provisions of part three of the Act No 137/1995
Coll. on trademarks, as amended. Written
the authorisation may be granted to the beneficiary the Czech Olympic Committee.
(2) the prohibition on the use of under the preceding paragraph shall also apply to
any sign which consists of or contains Olympic symbolism or
part of them.
Resolution of disputes
Disputes concerning rights and obligations governed by this law shall be decided by
competent court. ^ 3) Czech Olympic Committee or authorized person may
also claim compensation for the damage caused by the unauthorized use of
the Olympic symbols.
The Czech Olympic Committee
(1) the Czech Olympic Committee directs and organises the Olympic movement within the
Of the Czech Republic.
(2) the Czech Olympic Committee is an association under the specific legislation. ^ 4)
The symbols of the Czech Olympic Committee
(1) the symbols of the Czech Olympic Committee, in particular, are the logo and flag
The Czech Olympic Committee. The Czech Olympic Committee can also create
further derived the Olympic symbols.
(2) the symbols of the Czech Olympic Committee are written as protective
the mark in the relevant register by a special Act. ^ 1)
(3) for the use and protection of the symbols of the Czech Olympic Committee charged
the provisions of paragraphs 3 and 4 of this Act apply mutatis mutandis.
The effectiveness of the
This Act shall take effect on 1 January 2000. May 2000.
Havel, v. r.
Zeman in r.
1) Act No. 137/1995 Coll. on trademarks as amended by Act No.
2) for example, Decree No. 65/1975 Coll., on the Madrid Agreement concerning the international
registration of marks of 14 April. April 1891,
revised in Brussels on 14 May. in December 1900, at Washington on 2 February 2005.
June 1911, at the Hague on 6. November 1925, at London on 2. June
1934, at Nice on 15 December. June 1957, and at Stockholm on 14 July. July 1967,
as amended by Decree No. 78/1985 Coll.
§ 9 para 3). 3 (c)) (a). EE) of Act No 99/1963 Coll., the civil
the rules of court, as amended.
4) Act No. 83/1990 Coll. on Association of citizens, as amended