The Senate and Chamber of Deputies
of the Argentine Nation gathered in Congress, etc.
Law:ARTICLE 1 Approved the COOPERATION FRAMEWORK AGREEING THE ARGENTINA REPUBLIC AND THE ASOCIATION OF CARIBBEAN States (AEC), signed in Puerto España . TRINIDAD y TOBAGO. on 8 November 2002, which consists of NUEVE (9) articles, whose authenticated photocopy is part of this law. ARTICLE 2 Contact the national executive branch.
IN THE SESSION OF THE ARGENTINE CONGRESS, IN GOOD AIRES, TO THE VEINTICINCO DIAS OF THE MONTH OF APRIL OF THE YEAR DOS MIL SIETE.
ALBERTO E. BALESTRINI. . JOSE J. B. PAMPURO. . Enrique Hidalgo. . Juan H. Estrada.
REPUBLIC ARGENTINA AND
THE ASSOCIATION OF CARIBBEAN STATES (AEC)
The Argentine Republic and the Association of Caribbean States (AEC), henceforth the Parties.
Inspired by the traditional bonds of friendship between the Argentine Republic and the ACS members;
Considering that the Council of Ministers of the ACS during its III Ordinary Meeting, held in Cartagena de Indias, Colombia, on 28 November 1997, adopted by Agreement No. 13/97 the rules of procedure for the establishment of agreements by the Secretary-General with Third Parties, with institutions or groups of States and with other entities;
Reaffirming that both Parties identify themselves in the desire to strengthen cooperation in all areas in accordance with the purposes, scope and objectives set out in the Constitutive Convention of the Association of Caribbean States;
Recognizing that the consolidation, intensification and diversification of cooperation is based on assisting the members of the ACS, particularly those of lower development;
Taking into account the central objectives of the ACS Special Fund to finance those actions that clearly and decisively contribute to fostering development cooperation among ACS members, and to deepen the process of integration into the region, as set out in Agreement No. 4/96 of the Council of Ministers of the ACS;
Recalling that the Council of Ministers of the ACS, through Agreement No. 11/96, issued at the Second Ordinary Meeting held in Havana, Cuba, on 13 December 1996, admitted the Argentine Republic as an observer;
The following are agreed:
Objectives and characteristics of cooperation
1. The Parties agree that this Agreement constitutes the framework of reference that guides and orders cooperation between the Argentine Republic and the AEC.
2. The Parties shall promote and strengthen cooperation activities, with the aim of implementing, providing continuity and/or finalizing the respective programmes, approved by the Council of Ministers of the ACS and/or the projects selected by the Council of National Representatives of the ACS Special Fund, according to the powers granted by the Council of Ministers through Agreement No. 4/96.
3. Cooperation among Parties will also be aimed at promoting and disseminating ACS as an intergovernmental body at the regional level.
Modalities of cooperation
The Argentine Republic will assist in the form of financial or technical support to specific projects agreed upon by the Parties.
Coordination and follow-up
1. Each Party shall designate a liaison officer, who shall be responsible for maintaining official contacts on a permanent basis for the coordination and follow-up of activities under this Cooperation Agreement.
2. When the Parties of common agreement express it in writing, technical groups may be formed to study activities to undertake and propose recommendations in aspects related to the different modalities of cooperation and implementation procedures.
1. The financial contributions made by the Argentine Republic shall be made in cash or in cash payable documents to the order of the Association of Caribbean States, and shall be incorporated into the resources of the ACS Special Fund.
2. Financial contributions shall be made in United States dollars or other convertible currencies, or one part in dollars and the other in convertible currency, as provided for in Agreement No. 4/96 of the Council of Ministers of the ACS.
Contributions in kind
1. Any contribution or contribution in kind shall be delivered through the Secretary General of the ACS, in his capacity as the legal representative of the AEC and Administrator of the Special Fund of the AEC, so that the contribution in kind is integrated into the financial structure of the ACS, upon authorization of the President of the Board of Directors of the Council of National Representatives of the Special Fund.
2. Any delivery must consist of a "Transmission Act", which must specify the value, quantity and details descriptive and of reference, to specify the gender, type and particularity of the contribution in kind.
3. The "Delivery Act" shall be signed by both Parties. The Secretary-General shall transmit a copy thereof to the President of the Board of Directors of the Council of National Representatives of the Special Fund.
Contributions through the mobilization of experts, equipment and materials
The mobilization of the experts, equipment and materials necessary for the development of cooperation in any of the modalities agreed upon by the Parties shall be subject to the procedures, facilities, privileges and exemptions established by:
1. The Agreement between the Association of Caribbean States and the Government of the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago; and
2. The Protocol on Privileges and Immunities of the Association of Caribbean States, provided that it is in force in the Member State or Associate Member which is intended to apply and in accordance with its domestic laws.
Entry into force - Duration
This Agreement shall enter into force at the time when the Argentine Republic notifies the ACS to comply with the domestic legal requirements for this purpose and shall have indefinite duration.
This Agreement may be amended when the Parties deem it relevant. Such amendments shall enter into force when the Parties are notified of compliance with their internal formalities for that purpose.
The Parties may denounce this Agreement, by written notification to the other Party, not less than six (6) months in advance. Its termination shall not affect the performance of activities under implementation or programmed, unless otherwise agreed.
Made in the city of Puerto España, on November 8, 2002, in two originals, in the Spanish, French and English languages, both equally authentic.