The Senate and Chamber of Deputies of the Argentine Nation assembled in Congress, etc. sanction with force of Law:ARTICLE 1 ANNEX TO THE REGIONAL COOPERATION CONVENTION FOR THE CREATION AND FUNCTIONING OF THE REGIONAL COOPERATION CENTRE FOR THE EDUCATION OF ADULTS IN LATIN AMERICA And the CARIBBE, adopted in Mexico City UNIDOESTADOS UNIDO MEXICANOS. on October 19, 1990, which consists of TREINTA Y DOS (32) articles, whose authenticated photocopy is part of this law. ARTICLE 2 Contact the national executive branch.
IN THE SESSION OF THE ARGENTINE CONGRESS, IN GOOD AIRES, TO THE DIASS OF THE MONTH OF JUNE OF THE YEAR DOS MIL CUATRO.
EDUARDO O. CHANGE. . MARCELO G. LOPEZ ARIAS. . Eduardo D. Rollano. . Juan Estrada.
REGIONAL COOPERATION CONVENTION FOR THE CREATION AND FUNCTIONING OF THE REGIONAL COOPERATION CENTRE FOR THE EDUCATION OF LATIN AMERICA AND THE CARIBBEAN,
That the General Conference of the "UNESCO" at its Fourth Meeting entrusted the Director General with his cooperation with the "Member States" to create regional centres for the training of teachers and specialists, and the preparation of the material of fundamental education, and that, pursuant to this resolution, an agreement was signed between the UNESCO and the Mexican Government on the establishment of a Regional Centre for the Training of Staff and the Preparation of Latin America.
May the General Conference of UNESCO at its 17th. Meeting authorized the Director-General to begin negotiations with the States of the Region in order to conclude agreements that would enable the Regional Centre to achieve progressively its economic autonomy.
That, for that purpose, the Government of Mexico offered to contribute to the creation and operation based in its country, of a Regional Centre for Adult Education and Functional Literacy for Latin America (CREFAL), so that on 21 October 1974 it signed with the "UNESCO" an agreement to establish the Centre, leaving the subscriber to effect on 11 September 1950.
That for more than 38 years the CREFAL has actively developed the role of cooperation with specialized institutions and with international organizations.
Since its foundation, the action of the CREFAL was linked in a variety of ways and was supported within the framework of different programs and projects developed by the General Secretariat of the "OAS".
That the problems of adult education are linked to those of the development of living conditions in the Region and also present common features and therefore require joint efforts of multinational cooperation.
That the countries of Latin America and the Caribbean, in particular the "Rio Group", among which are Argentina, Brazil, Colombia, Peru, Uruguay and Venezuela, have expressed their interest in joining the Board of Directors of the Centre, in order to constitute the legal framework of the Institution within a regional perspective.
That the present convention therefore seeks to replace the previous agreements and promote, in accordance with the terms of reference of the seventeenth. General Conference of UNESCO, the regional integration of the largest number of countries in Latin America and the Caribbean to the programmes that the Centre has been developing since its foundation.
That the CREFAL, since its establishment in the area of adult education, has trained specialists and teachers, carried out documentary and basic research at the regional level, published and disseminated research results, updating materials and support to the operation of both national and regional programmes and projects, and as a constant and more important activity has provided technical advice in the planning, administration, operation and evaluation of programmes and projects to most countries of the Region.
That the CREFAL, in accordance with the Mexican Government, has its headquarters since its foundation in the City of Pátzcuaro, Michoacán, Mexico.
That adult education includes, among others, literacy processes, basic education, education for work, family, social and civil life training, and that such actions correspond to the activities of the CREFAL.
It is necessary to strengthen the work being done by the CREFAL, modifying its legal nature and adjusting its objectives for regional cooperation in adult education.
Accordingly, representatives of the parties duly accredited for this purpose have decided to subscribe to the following:
CONVENTION FOR THE CENTRE OF REGIONAL COOPERATION FOR THE EDUCATION OF ADULTS IN LATIN AMERICA AND THE CARIBBEAN (CREFAL).
FIRST ART. The Centre for Regional Cooperation for Adult Education in Latin America and the Caribbean (CREFAL) is established, which will have the character of an Autonomous International Agency with its own legal personality and heritage, at the service of Latin American and Caribbean countries.
SECOND ARTICLE. The CREFAL will aim at regional cooperation in adult education, through the training of specialized personnel, documentary and basic research, systematization, analysis and exchange of innovative experiences and specialized information and the production and exchange of documents and materials resulting from internal research with the collaboration of specialists from the agencies and institutions of the region.
PROPOSITS AND FUNCTIONS
THIRD ARTICLE. The CREFAL, in coordination with the "GS/OAS", the "UNESCO" and the "Member States", will have the following purposes and functions:
1) Organize study, research, documentation, training and animation activities to promote adult education in Latin America and the Caribbean. The activities of the CREFAL should match the efforts of the host country and the other countries of Latin America and the Caribbean.
2) To recall and analyse information for the achievement of its objectives.
3) Develop and organize your work plans and programmes.
4) Form human resources specialized in the educational area for adults.
5) Cooperate in adult education with the countries of the Region.
6) Promote and support processes to systematize innovative experiences and specialized information.
7) To produce and disseminate educational materials, preferably to the "Member States" of this Convention.
FOURT. In the field of specialized human resources training, the CREFAL will carry out the following actions:
1) Organize study activities for the specialization of staff who will undertake research, documentation and training of educational bases that achieve their institutional objectives.
(2) Exchange information on matters related to adult education.
3) To assess, together with those responsible for the "Member States" the training needs of staff and to develop the corresponding training programmes.
FIGURE. The research that will develop the CREFAL will be documentary and basic. The following activities will be carried out:
(1) Develop, together with the "Member States" and the International Agencies signatories to this agreement, studies and diagnostics of needs that serve as a basis for the formulation of the programmes to be developed.
2) Propose research on aspects of adult education to develop them in a coordinated manner with the specialists and experts of the "Member States" and the international bodies signatories to this agreement.
SEXTO ARTICLE. With regard to information dissemination, the Centre will produce, edit and distribute educational materials for training and updating in the fields of adult education. To this end, the following actions shall be carried out:
(1) Identify specific human resource training needs and prepare adult education materials related to the Region.
2) Cooperate with the authorities and institutions of the governments of the "Member States", as well as with non-governmental agencies, in the development of training materials and training of specialists.
3) Conduct research on adult education materials between the "GS/OAS", the "UNESCO" and the "Member States", as well as carry out its application on an experimental basis.
(4) Coordinate its activities with subregional or national centres whose activities relate to its objectives.
(5) Disseminate the progress made in countries in other regions on the production of adult educational materials.
SEPTIMO ARTICLE. With regard to regional cooperation activities, the Centre shall:
(1) Promote the exchange among the "Member States" of human resource research, documentation and training results through regional and subregional cooperation plans.
(2) Disseminate, report and study the appropriate use of adult education materials to be applied in the Region.
3) Conduct results-sharing programmes in research, training and production of education materials among the "Member States".
(4) Integrate progress in Latin American and Caribbean countries by supporting their dissemination and the exchange of experiences in this area.
OCTAVO ARTICLE. The organs of the CREFAL are the Board of Directors, the Directorate General and the Constitutive Committee.
OF THE ADMINISTRATION COUNCIL
WEEK. The Governing Council is the supreme body of the CREFAL, it will be composed of an accredited representative of each of the "Member States", who have signed and ratified or acceded to this convention; by a representative of the Director General of the "UNESCO" and the general representative of the "GS/OAS", as well as by a representative of each intergovernmental body that makes an important contribution to the functioning of the CREFAL and which is admitted by decision of the Governing Council itself.
DECIMODATION. The Governing Council will be chaired by the representative of the Mexican Government in its capacity as a host country. The Director-General of the Centre shall serve as Secretary.
DECIMOPRIMERO. The Governing Council will hold regular meetings once a year, preferably in the last quarter of the calendar year. The call will be made in writing, with a minimum advance of three months.
We're leaving. The Governing Council may hold special meetings, convened by its President or, at the request of at least half of its members.
DECIMOTERCERO. They may participate in meetings of the Governing Council in addition to duly accredited representatives, observers and special guests on the proposal of the parties that sign the present convention, upon the approval of the President of the Council.
DECIMOCUARTO. The quorum for the meetings of the Governing Council will be integrated with the assistance of its President and half plus one of its members. Your agreements will be taken by a majority of votes.
The "GS/OAS", the "UNESCO", as well as the "Member States", will have the right to voice and one vote. The President shall have a quality vote. Observers and special guests shall only have the right to voice.
DECIMOQUINTO. The Governing Council shall have all the necessary powers for the functioning and administration of the CREFAL.
DECIENTIOUS ARTICLE. The functions of the Governing Council are:
(1) Propose and approve, where appropriate, amendments to the convention and decide on applications for admission of new members of the Governing Council.
(2) Designate the Director-General of the Centre, as defined by the Governing Council itself, and authorize the appropriate permits and licences.
(3) Designate an Advisory Committee for the advice of the Council itself and the Director-General.
(4) To approve the contributions of the "Member States" and the cooperative plans and programmes that are established with the international agencies that sign the present convention.
5) Authorize the Director-General to develop and negotiate specific collaborative plans with the "Member States" or with other countries and international organizations, institutions and foundations of a regional and subregional nature.
6) Authorize the negotiations of the Director-General for obtaining resources.
7) Consider, analyse, approve or reject, as appropriate, the annual reports of work and the financial statements submitted to it by the Director-General, duly audited.
(8) To study and approve, where appropriate, the work plan and budgets of the Centre submitted by the Director-General.
9) Give the Director-General all instructions as deemed necessary.
10) Adopt the organizational structure and regulations of the Centre and the organs necessary for the best functioning of the Centre.
(11) To study and resolve all other matters within their competence and arising from this Convention.
OF THE GENERAL DIRECTION
DECIMOSEPTIMO. The Directorate-General is the implementing and administration body of the CREFAL; he shall be under the responsibility of a Director-General to be appointed by the Governing Council.
DECIMOCTAVO. The Director-General shall have the following powers:
(1) To legally represent the Centre.
(2) Direct the work of the Centre under the programmes approved by the Governing Council.
(3) Prepare draft programmes and budgets for consideration by the Governing Council.
(4) Prepare the provisional agenda for meetings of the Governing Council and submit any proposals it deems necessary for the administration of the Centre.
(5) Develop and submit annual reports on the activities of the Centre to the Governing Council.
(6) Select and hire the staff required for the smooth operation of the Centre.
(7) Conduct all financial and commercial operations for the implementation of the programmes approved by the Governing Council.
8) Directly manage the Centre ' s own income, donations and legacies, furniture and property, subsidies, and all other property acquired by any other title.
9) Authorize the permits and licenses requested by the workers and other staff of the Centre in accordance with the respective Regulations.
10) Authorize travel and transfer of staff to Latin American and Caribbean countries or others for the implementation of the activities arising from this Convention.
11) To make such arrangements as may be necessary to establish regional cooperation commitments to the Governments of the countries concerned.
12) Promote the incorporation of other countries in Latin America and the Caribbean into the CREFAL.
13) All others that are in line with those noted and entrusted to it by the Governing Council.
DECIMONOVENO. The CREFAL will have an Advisory Committee composed of members of recognized international prestige and technical competence in the field of Adult Education that will be appointed by the Board of Directors in the terms established by the Regulations that are issued for the purpose.
VIGESIMO ARTICLE. The functions of the Advisory Committee are:
(1) To advise the Governing Council and the Director-General of CREFAL on the preparation, implementation and evaluation of the Centre ' s work plan.
(2) All functions assigned to it in the Regulations issued thereon.
OFFICIAL REVALIDATION OF STUDIES
VIGESIMOPRIMERO. In accordance with their respective laws, the "Member States" will grant the necessary facilities so that their nationals, who have studied at the CREFAL, will obtain the official revaluation of them.
VIGESIMOSEGUNDO. The headquarters of the Regional Cooperation Centre for Adult Education in Latin America and the Caribbean (CREFAL) will be the city of Pátzcuaro, Michoacán, Mexico.
The Mexican Government will provide the necessary operational and financial infrastructure facilities, for which the necessary legal instruments will be signed.
With the authorization of the Board of Directors, the Director-General may manage the establishment of subsedes of the Centre in the "Member States" of this agreement upon request.
OF THE PATRIMONY
VIGESIMOTERCERO. The heritage of the CREFAL will consist of:
(1) The ordinary contributions of the "Member States" that the Governing Council approves and determines. Regular annual quotas of the "Member States" may be covered in their currency for the development of specific programs.
(2) The resources corresponding to the activities carried out in the framework of the cooperation programmes of the "UNESCO" and the "GS/OAS".
(3) Budgeted income for specific programmes, which will consist of:
a/ Contributions from bilateral agreements with the "Member States" for agreed work and activities.
b/ Contributions from other countries, international agencies, institutions and foundations to implement established programmes.
(4) The subsidies, donations and legacies, as well as the furniture and properties for which it is intended, and the other assets that for any other legal title acquires.
(5) Other material resources provided by the "Member States" signatories to this agreement and other entities, to support the activities of the Centre.
VIGESIMOCUARTO. The "GS/OAS" and "UNESCO" will contribute to the activities of the Centre in accordance with the programmes and budgets approved by each of the organizations and according to the procedures for the implementation of the agreed activities.
OF THE JURIDIC REGIME, PRIVILEGIES AND INMUNITIES
VIGESIMOQUINTO ARTICLE. The CREFAL shall enjoy in the territory of each of the "Member States" of personality and full legal capacity, privileges and immunities, in accordance with the applicable legislation and the international standards in force.
VIGESIMOSEXT ARTICLE. This agreement may be amended by the Governing Council by agreement of at least two thirds of the Convention and by express call.
VIGESIMOSEPTIMO. Any Amendment agreed upon by the Governing Council shall enter into force one month after the Director-General has received written notification of its approval in accordance with the respective constitutional or legal procedures of the "Member States".
VIGESIMOCTAVO ARTICLE. All those countries of Latin America and the Caribbean that have not participated in the signing of this Convention may accede to it and therefore become a party to this Convention as a member of the CREFAL, upon notification of "UNESCO", the "OAS" and the "Member States" which will decide within the Governing Council on its origin.
Instruments of accession shall be deposited with the Director-General, as Secretary of the Governing Council.
VIGESIMONOVENO. This Convention shall be ratified in accordance with the respective constitutional or legal procedures of the "Member States". The original, whose texts in Spanish, English, Portuguese and French will have the same validity, will be deposited in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the United Mexican States. The instruments of ratification shall be deposited with the Director General of the CREFAL who shall notify the "UNESCO", the "SG/OAS" and the "Member States" of any deposit made.
TRIGESIMO ARTICLE. This Convention shall enter into force once at least half more one of the signatory States of the Convention has deposited the instruments of ratification with the Director General of the CREFAL.
TRIGESIMOPRIMERO. With regard to countries that have subsequently acceded, this Convention shall enter into force on the date on which the Director-General of the CREFAL receives the corresponding instrument of accession.
TRIGESIMOSEGUNDO. Any party may withdraw from the CREFAL and denounce the present instrument at any time, after written notification to the Director General, who will transmit it to the "GS/OAS", the "UNESCO" and the "Member States". The withdrawal and denunciation will arise its effects one hundred and eighty days after the Director General's notification was received.
Entered the parts of the content and scope of this Convention, it is signed in Mexico City, Federal District, at nineteen days of the month of October, nine hundred and ninety.
THE INFORMATION OF THE REGIONAL COOPERATION CONVENTION FOR THE CREATION AND FUNCTIONING OF THE REGIONAL COOPERATION CENTRE FOR THE EDUCATION OF ADULTS IN LATIN AMERICA AND THE CARIBBEAN, SUSTAINABLE IN THE MEXICO CIUDY, FEDERAL DISTRICT, TO THE DIRECT DIRECTIONS OF THE MEXICO