THE PRIME MINISTER OF GOVERNMENT
SOCIALIST REPUBLIC OF VIET NAM
Independence - Freedom - Happiness
Ha Noi , September 21, 2004
DECISION No. 165/2004/QD-TTg OF SEPTEMBER 21, 2004 ON APPROVING THE PLANNING ON DEVELOPMENT OF NATIONAL STANDARDS OF MEASUREMENT FOR THE 2004-2010 PERIOD
THE PRIME MINISTER
Pursuant to the December 25, 2001 Law on Organization of the Government;
Pursuant to the October 6, 1999 Measurement Ordinance;
Pursuant to the Government's Decree No. 06/2002/ND-CP of January 14, 2002 detailing the implementation of the Measurement Ordinance;
Pursuant to the Government's Decree No. 65/2001/ND-CP of September 28, 2001 promulgating the system of lawful units of measurement of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam;
At the proposal of the Science and Environment Minister,
Article 1.- To approve the Planning on development of national standards of measurement for the 2004-2010 period, with the following principal contents:
1. Objectives of the Planning
To develop Vietnam's national standards of measurement from now till 2010 along the direction of modernization up to the world's advanced level, suitable to the development trend and speed of science and technology in order to accomplish the task of State management over measurement and meet measurement demands in service of socio-economic development and international economic integration.
The specific objectives of the Planning on development of national standards of measurement include:
- Stage I (2004-2005): To invest in perfecting the standards of the existing 10 quantities (4 basic quantities and 6 derived quantities); stage II (2006-2010): To formulate new standards of 22 quantities (03 basic quantities and 19 derived quantities); by 2010 Vietnam shall have the standards of 32 quantities (7 basic quantities and 25 derived quantities) up to the technical level of national standards of measurement.
- To develop human resources that are quantitatively sufficient and qualitatively capable to perform the tasks of maintaining, preserving and exploiting national standards of measurement.
2. Orientations for the Planning on development of national standards of measurement till 2010
a/ Regarding the standardization domain
To invest in developing national measurement standard domains suitable to the system of lawful measurement units and the financial capability of the State.
In the 2004-2010 period, to prioritize the development of national standards of basic and derived quantities in close association with socio-economic development and international economic integration demands:
- To establish, maintain, preserve and exploit national standards of measurement of 7 basic quantities: Mass, length, time, current intensity, temperature, luminous intensity and amount of substance.
- To establish, maintain, preserve and exploit national standards of measurement of 25 derived quantities: Plane angle, capacity, liquid volume velocity, gaseous volume velocity, force, moment of force, hardness, pressure, specific weight, kinematic viscosity, pH degree, air humidity, DC electrical voltage, DC electrical resistance, inductance, electrical capacitance, power, industrial- frequency electrical energy, high-frequency electrical voltage, high-frequency power, attenuation, frequency, sound pressure level, radioactivity, and absorbed dose.
b/ Regarding the technical and metrological levels of standards
- To use advanced and modern technology suitable to the maintenance, preservation and use conditions in Vietnam; ensure standard levels equivalent to those of advanced countries in the ASEAN region.
- To reach the necessary accuracy as well as measurement scope equivalent to the level of international secondary standards or primary standards, playing the role of national standards of measurement for each corresponding measurement domain, ensuring the traceability of standards to the international system of units of measurement, SI.
- To ensure compatibility of furnished standards with copying and transmitting equipment and support equipment, ensuring that the standards are derived from principal standards currently in use in the economic, social, security and defense branches.
c/ Regarding the structure of investment for standard development
To harmoniously combine investment and continued upgrading of the existing standard system with the formulation of new standards, assuring the efficient exploitation and use of the system of national standards of measurement.
d/ Regarding conditions on infrastructure for preserving, maintaining and exploiting standards
- The system of national standards of measurement must be preserved, maintained and exploited in the prescribed conditions suitable to the standards' requirements (ground and workshop, laboratory facility and environment conditions, etc.).
- The preservation and maintenance of standards must include also the preservation of documents related to standards.
e/ Regarding conditions on human resources for preserving, maintaining and exploiting standards
The contingent of scientific workers responsible for preserving, maintaining and exploiting national standards of measurement must be trained so that they are managerially and technically capable of performing their assigned tasks.
f/ Agency in charge of establishing, preserving, maintaining and exploiting standards
The General Department of Standardization, Metrology and Quality Control under the Ministry of Science and Technology shall be responsible for establishing, preserving, maintaining and exploiting national standards of measurement in order to ensure their connectivity, uniformity and accuracy, excluding specific measurement domains which shall be submitted by the Minister of Science and Technology to the Prime Minister for assignment to other agencies.
3. Planning contents
a/ The Planning's stages
The Planning shall be implemented from 2004 to 2010, divided into 2 stages:
Stage I: from 2004 to 2005.
- To concentrate on investing in upgrading and furnishing in a synchronous and modern manner to perfect the standards of the 10 existing quantities at the General Department of Standardization, Metrology and Quality Control so that they meet all conditions prescribed for national standards of measurement, including:
04 basic quantities: mass, length, time and temperature.
06 derived quantities: Pressure, hardness, power, industrial-frequency electrical energy, capacity, liquid volume velocity.
- To provide training (domestic and overseas training) for raising the qualifications of the current contingent of scientific workers so that they are managerially and technically capable of performing the tasks of preserving, maintaining and exploiting 10 quantities being national standards of measurement in this period.
Stage II: From 2006 to 2010.
- To formulate new standards of 22 quantities which fully meet the conditions prescribed for national standards of measurement, including:
03 basic quantities: Current intensity, luminous intensity and amount of substance.
19 derived quantities: Plane angle, gaseous volume velocity, force, moment of force, specific weight, kinematic viscosity, pH degree, air humidity, DC electrical voltage, DC electrical resistance, inductance, electrical capacitance, high-frequency electrical voltage, high-frequency power, attenuation, frequency, sound pressure level, radioactivity, and absorbed dose.
- To combine advanced training with recruitment and training for new scientific workers (domestic and overseas training) so that they reach the university and post-graduate levels to be capable of performing the tasks of preserving, maintaining and exploiting 22 quantities being national standards of measurement in this period.
b/ Norms of the planning
Iodized frequency-stabilized laser radiation source
Standard weight of 1 kg
03 atomic Cesium clocks
DC current intensity standard
Triple point of mercury
Triple point of water
Melting point of Gallium
Freezing point of Indium
Freezing point of tin
Freezing point of zinc
Freezing point of aluminum
Freezing point of silver
Luminous intensity standard
Amount of substance
Set of equipment for creating the standard angle
0.05" ¸ 0.1"
Standard capacity equipment system
Liquid volume velocity
System of primary standards of liquid volume velocity and standard flowmeter
Gaseous volume velocity
Primary standard of gaseous flow
Standard machine of deadweight force of up to 50 kN
Moment of force
Standard machine of moment of 5 kNm
Rockwell-scale hardness standard machine
Brinell-scale hardness standard machine
Vickers-scale hardness standard machine
Piston gauge and micromanometer
Standard pH hydrogen electrode meter
Air humidity standard
DC electrical voltage
DC electrical resistance
Hall quantum electrical resistance standard
Electrical capacitance standard
Industrial- frequency electrical power
Power and electrical energy comparison machine KOM 200.3
Power converter C1-2
Industrial-frequency electrical energy
Power and electrical energy comparison machine KOM 200.3
Power converter C1-2
High-frequency voltage electrical
A/C voltage standard Fluke 792A
High-frequency capacity standards HP-432A and HP-8447A
Standard attenuation set HP-1158XX
Standard frequency counters
Sound pressure level
Sound level standard equipment set
Radioactivity-measuring and -recording standard devices
A = 5%
A = 3%
Standard X-ray source
g and b sources
D = 3.5%
c/ Capital and capital sources for implementation of the Planning
- Total capital is composed of the following kinds:
+ Capital for furnishing standards;
+ Capital for development of human resources;
+ Capital for ensuring the conditions for preserving, maintaining and exploiting standards.
- Capital sources for the implementation of the Planning shall come from the State budget.
4. Organization of implementation
- The Ministry of Science and Technology shall assume the prime responsibility for, and coordinate with the concerned ministries and branches in, organizing the implementation of the Planning's contents, expanding international cooperation for developing national standards of measurement; exploit, and make international comparison of, these standards in accordance with the provisions of Article 8 of the Measurement Ordinance; make preparations for the formulation of plannings on development of national standards of measurement for subsequent years.
- The Ministry of Planning and Investment shall assume the prime responsibility for, and coordinate with the Ministry of Finance and the Ministry of Science and Technology as well as concerned ministries and branches in, balancing financial resources and submit them to competent authorities for decision for implementing the Planning of development of national standards of measurement.
Article 2.- This Decision takes effect 15 days after its publication in the Official Gazette.
The Minister of Science and Technology shall have to organize and guide the implementation of this Decision.
Article 3.- The ministers, the heads of the ministerial-level agencies, the heads of the Government-attached agencies, the presidents of the People's Committees of the provinces and centrally-run cities shall have to implement this Decision.
PHAN VAN KHAI
Phan Van Khai