THE NATIONAL ASSEMBLY
SOCIALIST REPUBLIC OF VIET NAM
Independence - Freedom -
Ha Noi , November 29, 2006
Adjusting targets and tasks of the project on planting five million hectares of new forests in the 2006-2010 period
THE NATIONAL ASSEMBLY OF THE SOCIALIST REPUBLIC OF VIETNAM
Pursuant to Article 84 of the 1992 Constitution of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam, which was amended and supplemented under Resolution No. 51/2001/QH10 of December 25, 2001, of the Xth National Assembly, the 10th session;
Pursuant to the Law on Supervisory Activities of the National Assembly;
Having considered the Government's report, the National Assembly Standing Committee's supervision report and the report on opinions of voters and National Assembly deputies at the 10th session of the XIth National Assembly on the project on planting five million hectares of new forests,
Article 1.- The project on planting five million hectares of new forests has been executed for eight years and with certain outcomes. However, the project execution still sees several shortcomings to be soon remedied., i.e., the lack of concentrated and adequate direction of the preparation, organization and inspection of the project execution, which results in delaying the project execution and affects its economic efficiency and the fulfillment of its tasks. The Government, various authorities and branches should strictly review and draw experience from these shortcomings in order to provide further direction to ensure the achievement of the Project's objectives.
Article 2.- To adjust the Project's targets and tasks in the 2006-2010 period as follows:
1. To effectively protect all existing forests, especially natural forests, of which 1.5 million hectares of protection forests and special-use forests will be contractually allocated for protection every year.
2. To plant new forests on 1,000,000 hectares, including 250,000 hectares of protection forests and special-use forests (50,000 hectares will be planted every year) and 750,000 hectares of production forests (150,000 hectares will be planted every year).
3. To zone off for regeneration 803.000 hectares of protection forests and special-use forests, including 403,000 hectares currently under regeneration and 400,000 new hectares.
4. The total estimated investment capital is VND 14,653 billion, including VND 4,515 billion of budget capital and VND 9,000 billion of borrowed capital and capital from other sources for the planting of production forests (see the enclosed Appendix).
5. After the adjusted targets and tasks for the 2006-2010 period are achieved, the Government will further arrange capital and administer the forest protection and development program according to the mechanism applicable to national target programs in order to attain the objective of planting five million hectares of forests.
Article 3.- The National Assembly assigns the Government:
1. To closely direct ministries, branches and localities to achieve the adjusted targets and tasks of the Project in the 2006-2010 period.
2. To soon complete the review of the detailed plannings on each type of forests in the 2006-2010 period; to calculate the desirable national forest coverage to ensure ecological safety and protection functions as well as environmental protection, to implement measures to enrich natural forests, especially forests of low quality by planting forest trees that will bring about higher economic benefits.
3. To step up the allocation of land and forests as well as the grant of land use right certificates and forest use right certificates to households, individuals and other economic sectors and land use right certificates to population communities; to reorganize and renew state-run forestry farms into strong economic units to promote silviculture development.
4. To amend mechanisms and policies on investment and preferential credit in order to boost the development of production forests, taking into account timber needs; to adopt policies to encourage investment in the development of the timber and forest product processing industry, reduce costs of circulation of forest products, and adjust the ratios of investment in the protection, zoning for protection and planting of protection forests, special-use forests and production forests to ensure their flexible application by localities to specific projects. To adopt appropriate mechanisms and policies on benefit sharing in the forest protection and development and partially ensure food for those people who are engaged in silviculture in socio-economic difficulty-stricken regions and areas where exist headwater forests or large-scale hydropower works or irrigation works.
5. To ensure concentrated and uniform direction and enhance coordination and clear division of the state management responsibilities of ministries, branches and provincial/municipal People's Committees; to strongly decentralize power to local administrations and uphold the role of people in the organization of the project execution.
6. To actively prevent, promptly and strictly handle cases of causing waste and losses, cases of corruption and other acts of damaging forest resources.
7. To report annually to the National Assembly on the execution of the Project.
Article 4.- The National Assembly Standing Committee, the Committee of Science, Technology and Environment, the Nationality Council, other Committees of the National Assembly and delegations of National Assembly deputies shall oversee the execution of the project.
This Resolution was adopted on November 29, 2006, by the XIth National Assembly of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam at its 10th session.
Nguyen Phu Trong