Revised Statutes of 1846 (EXCERPT)
41.72a Township board; regular and special meetings; time and place; moderator; transaction of business; publication of proceedings; adjusted amount.
(1) The township board shall provide by resolution for the time and place of its regular meetings, and shall hold not less than 1 regular meeting every 3 months. If a time set for a regular meeting of the township board is a holiday, as designated by the township board, the regular meeting shall be held at the same time and place on the next secular day that is not a holiday.
(2) A special meeting of the township board shall be held at a time fixed by the board at a meeting or when the supervisor considers it necessary. Upon call of the supervisor, the township clerk shall give notice of the time and place of the meeting to each member, either in person or by leaving a written notice at the member's address. A special meeting of the township board shall be called by the township clerk upon receiving a written request for the meeting signed by a majority of the township board members.
(3) The supervisor, if present, shall be the moderator of a regular or special meeting of the township board. If the supervisor is not present, the township board, under the direction of the township clerk, shall elect by voice vote a member of the township board as a moderator of the meeting. The township clerk has the same powers and duties as the moderator until a moderator is chosen.
(4) The township board shall not transact business at a special meeting unless the business was stated in the notice of the meeting. However, if all the members of the board are present at a special meeting, business that might lawfully come before a regular meeting of the board may be transacted at the special meeting.
(5) Subject to subsection (6), if a township has a taxable value, as calculated under section 27a of the general property tax act, 1893 PA 206, MCL 211.27A, of $50,000,000.00 or more, the township board, not more than 21 days after a meeting of the board, shall publish the proceedings of the meeting in a newspaper of general circulation in the township. The publication of a synopsis of the proceedings, prepared by the township clerk and approved by the supervisor, showing the substance of each separate proceeding of the board is a sufficient compliance with the requirements of this subsection.
(6) The $50,000,000.00 amount provided for in subsection (5) shall be adjusted as of January 1 of each year, beginning January 1, 1998. The department of treasury shall determine on or before December 1 of each year, beginning December 1, 1997, an adjusted amount for the following year. The adjusted amount for each year shall be determined by comparing the consumer price index for the 12-month period ending the preceding October 31 with the corresponding consumer price index of 1 year earlier. The percentage increase or decrease shall then be multiplied by the current adjusted amount. The product shall be rounded up to the nearest multiple of $1,000,000.00 and shall be the new adjusted amount. The department of treasury shall provide the adjusted amount upon request. As used in this section, “consumer price index” means the annual average percentage increase in the Detroit consumer price index for all items as reported by the United States department of labor.
History: Add. 1951, Act 46, Imd. Eff. May 14, 1951
Am. 1971, Act 159, Eff. Mar. 30, 1972
Am. 1973, Act 95, Imd. Eff. Aug. 8, 1973
Am. 1980, Act 264, Imd. Eff. Sept. 16, 1980
Am. 1989, Act 77, Imd. Eff. June 20, 1989
Am. 1996, Act 465, Imd. Eff. Dec. 26, 1996
Am. 1999, Act 198, Imd. Eff. Dec. 20, 1999
© 2015 Legislative Council, State of Michigan