§ 46.2-649.3. Registration of covered farm vehicles.
A. For the purposes of this section, a covered farm vehicle shall be registered pursuant to the provisions of § 46.2-698.
B. As defined in regulations promulgated by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (49 C.F.R. Part 390.5), a "covered farm vehicle" means a straight truck or articulated vehicle that is:
1. a. Registered in Virginia pursuant to the provisions of § 46.2-698; or
b. Registered in another state with a license plate or other designation issued by the state of registration that allows law enforcement to identify it as a farm vehicle;
2. Operated by the owner or operator of a farm or ranch or by an employee or family member of an owner or operator of a farm or ranch;
3. Used to transport agricultural commodities, livestock, machinery, or supplies to or from a farm or ranch;
4. Not used in for-hire motor carrier operations; however, for-hire motor carrier operations do not include the operation of a vehicle meeting the requirements of subdivisions 1, 2, and 3 by a tenant pursuant to a crop share farm lease agreement to transport the landlord's portion of the crops under that agreement; and
5. Not used in transporting material found by the U.S. Secretary of Transportation to be hazardous under 49 U.S.C. § 5103 and transported in a quantity requiring placarding under regulations prescribed by the Secretary under 49 C.F.R., subtitle B, chapter I, subchapter C.
C. A straight truck or articulated vehicle meeting the requirements of subsection B and having (i) a gross vehicle weight or gross vehicle weight rating, whichever is greater, of 26,001 pounds or less may utilize the exemptions provided in § 46.2-649.4 without mileage limitations or (ii) a gross vehicle weight or gross vehicle weight rating, whichever is greater, of more than 26,001 pounds may utilize the exemptions defined in § 46.2-649.4 anywhere in the Commonwealth or across state lines within 150 air miles (176.2 miles) of the farm or ranch with respect to which the vehicle is being operated.
D. For the purposes of this section, "agricultural commodities" means any horticultural plants and crops, cultivated plants and crops, poultry, dairy, and farm products, livestock and livestock products, and products derived from bees and beekeeping, primarily for sale, consumption, propagation, or other use by man or animals.
2015, c. 258.