The following terms, whenever used or referred to in this section and Sections 23-1-21.2 and 23-1-21.3, shall have the following meanings, except in those instances where the context clearly indicates a different meaning:
(1) DIRECTOR. The Director of the State of Alabama State Department of Transportation.
(2) PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION. Transportation which is appropriate to transport people by bus, rail, or other conveyance, serving the general public. The terms "mass transportation," "mass transit," "public transit," "ridesharing," "carpooling," "vanpooling," and "buspooling" are included within this definition and shall be considered synonymous with "public transportation."
(3) MUNICIPALITY. Any city, town, or like governing body.
(4) COUNTY. Any county in the State of Alabama.
(5) TRANSIT AUTHORITY. Any transit authority organized within the state or authority organized to serve a metropolitan or urbanized area which borders on the state boundary.
(6) LOCAL ENTITIES. Municipalities, cities, towns, counties, business and nonprofit corporations, transit authorities, planning bodies, or similar organizations or consolidations thereof, including those bordering on the state boundary.
(7) PLANNING BODY. Any planning organization duly constituted under state law, whether a city, county, or regional planning commission, or a metropolitan planning organization.
(8) COMPREHENSIVE TRANSPORTATION PLANNING PROCESS. A continuing planning process carried on cooperatively between the state and local entities for the purpose of transportation planning.
(Acts 1982, No. 82-456, p. 709, §1; Acts 1985, No. 85-753, p. 1252, §1.)