subchapter 71W – general program administration
section .0100 – general program administration
10A NCAC 71W .0101 DEFINITIONS
The following definitions apply to this Chapter:
(1) "Adjusted Payment" means a payment to the
recipient to correct a county‑responsible underpayment.
(2) "Appeal" means an oral or written request
from a client for a hearing to review the action of a county Department of
Social Services when the client is dissatisfied with the decision in his case.
(3) "Application Process" means a series of
actions beginning with a signed application and ending the date a check or
denial notice is mailed.
(4) "Assistance Unit" means the total number
of persons whose needs are considered in determining the payment amount.
(5) "Budget Unit" means all those persons for
whom application has been made plus anyone in the home who is liable for the
support of a member of the assistance unit or whose income is counted as
available to the assistance unit.
(6) "Client" means member of the assistance
unit. It may be used interchangeably with payee, recipient and applicant.
(7) "Collateral" means a person or
organization that can substantiate or verify information necessary to establish
(8) "Determination" means the process of
verifying eligibility factors for persons applying for AFDC.
(9) "Disregard of Earned Income" means the
procedure for exempting certain portions of earned income as a resource when
determining the amount of payment.
(10) "Effective Date" means the date for which
the benefit is authorized.
(11) "Eligibility, Initial" means the state of
eligibility at time of application.
(12) "Essential Person" means a person who
gives an essential service to a client, and, if in need, is eligible to be
included in the assistance unit.
(13) "Excluded Income" means money received by
a member of the budget unit which is not counted in determining eligibility for
(14) "Father, Alleged" means the man who is
said without proof to be the father of a child. This includes a father who has
admitted paternity when paternity has not been established in a court of law.
(15) "Father, Legal" means:
(a) The man who is married to the mother of
child at the time of birth of the child, regardless of whether they are living
together. The legal father is not necessarily the natural father, but is
legally responsible for support; or
(b) A man who has been determined by the court
to be the father of the child through a paternity suit or by act of
(c) A man who has legally adopted the child.
(16) "Father, Natural" means the biological
father of the child. He may be the alleged or legal father.
(17) "Full‑Time Student" means a student
so designated by the school in which he is enrolled.
(18) "Minor Mother" means a mother who is under
the age of 18 who may be payee for an assistance unit or a recipient included
in another assistance unit.
(19) "Needy Spouse" means the husband or wife
of a specified relative (other than a parent) who is eligible to be included in
the assistance unit if he applies for assistance and meets the requirements of
an essential person.
(20) "Payee" means the person in whose name the
AFDC payment is made.
(21) "Payment Month" means the month for which
the payment is made.
(22) "Prospective Budgeting" means the best estimate
of income in the payment month.
(23) "Reapplication" means a subsequent
application when a case has been terminated or suspended.
(24) "Recipient" means an eligible person whose
needs are included in the assistance payment.
(25) "Remainder Interest" means property which
will be inherited in full at a life estate interest holder's death.
(26) "Revocable Trust" means funds held in
trust which are available for the client's use.
(27) "Verification" means the confirmation of
facts and information used in determining eligibility.
History Note: Authority G.S. 108A‑25; 143B‑153;
45 C.F.R. 233;
Eff. February 1, 1984;
Amended Eff. June 1, 1990; August 1, 1988; February 1,
Temporary Amendment Eff. July 1, 1996;
Recodified from 10 NCAC 49A .0002 Eff. January 1, 1997;
Amended Eff. April 1, 1997.