Health and Safety
Places of Assembly
§ 23-28.6-22 Nightclubs.
Every special amusement building concentrated occupancy place of assembly
nightclub as defined in § 23-28.1-5 shall comply with the following
requirements, consistent with requirements related thereto established by the
Fire Safety Code Board of Appeal and Review and the state fire marshal. All
such buildings shall:
(1) Have fire alarms that are municipally connected for
occupancies of one hundred fifty (150) or greater and for all Class A and B
places of assembly by July 1, 2004. These fire alarm systems shall be tested no
less than quarterly.
(2) Have sprinklers in Class C places of assembly of one
hundred fifty (150) or greater with an occupancy load of one hundred fifty
(150) up to three hundred (300) people by July 1, 2006 and in Class A and B
places of assembly with an occupancy load of greater than three hundred (300)
people by July 1, 2005; provided, however, that this requirement shall not
apply to fully alarmed buildings used exclusively as places of worship.
(3) Have alarm systems sound and upon the actuation of any
smoke detector or fire alarm, have emergency lighting or other appropriate
lighting activate, and require that any conflicting sounds or visuals cease, by
February 20, 2004.
(4) Have two (2) fire extinguishers, which shall be at least
twenty (20) pounds or such other size as may be established as appropriate by
the Fire Safety Code Board of Appeal and Review, in each stage area, by
February 20, 2004.
(5) Have floor proximity exit signs for all occupancies
greater than one hundred fifty (150) by February 20, 2005.
(6) Provide an audible announcement of the location of
emergency exits prior to each act or set.
(7) Have an emergency plan for the premises, approved by a
fire marshal and consistent with rules established by the Fire Safety Code
Board of Appeal a person on duty or a crowd manager on duty, who has been
trained by the fire marshal with regard to the emergency plan and basic crowd
management techniques by October 1, 2004. This requirement shall be in addition
to the requirement for a detail fire fighter.
History of Section.
(P.L. 2003, ch. 106, § 8; P.L. 2003, ch. 107, § 8; P.L. 2004, ch.
220, § 7; P.L. 2004, ch. 225, § 7; P.L. 2012, ch. 415, §