Unless otherwise defined in this chapter, the definition of all terms included in Section 22-30-3 shall be applicable to this chapter. Other definitions as necessary may be promulgated as regulations by the department for further implementation of this chapter. Also, as used in this chapter, the following words and terms have the following meanings:
(1) ALABAMA LAND RECYCLING AND ECONOMIC REDEVELOPMENT COMMISSION. That commission which is created in Section 22-30E-12.
(2) APPLICANT. An owner or operator or prospective purchaser of a qualifying property seeking to participate in the voluntary cleanup program established pursuant to this chapter.
(3) CERTIFICATE OF COMPLIANCE. A statement prepared by a professional engineer or geologist licensed to practice in the State of Alabama which certifies compliance with a voluntary cleanup plan required by Section 22-30E-9.
(4) CLEANUP. For purposes of this chapter, cleanup means the cleaning up, remediation, control, or removal of contaminants from the environment in accordance with an approved voluntary cleanup plan.
(5) COMMISSION. The Environmental Management Commission as defined in subdivision (4) of Section 22-22A-3, unless the context clearly indicates a reference to the Alabama Land Recycling and Economic Redevelopment Commission.
(6) DEPARTMENT. The Alabama Department of Environmental Management.
(7) ENVIRONMENT. The term includes the following, as defined by the federal Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act, 42 U.S.C., Section 9601, et seq.:
a. The navigable waters, the waters of the contiguous zone, and the ocean waters of which the natural resources are under the exclusive management authority of the United States under the Magnuson Fishery Conservation and Management Act.
b. Any other surface water, ground water, drinking water supply, land surface or subsurface strata, or ambient air within the State of Alabama or under the jurisdiction of the State of Alabama.
(8) FACILITY. The term is synonymous with "property."
(9) HAZARDOUS SUBSTANCE. Any substance listed on the List of Hazardous Substances and Reportable Quantities, codified as 40 C.F.R., Part 302, Table 302.4, in force and effect on May 21, 2001, and subsequent revisions thereof, or any substance listed on the List of Extremely Hazardous Substances and Their Threshold Planning Quantities, codified as 40 C.F.R., Part 355, Appendix A, in force and effect on May 21, 2001, and subsequent revisions thereof.
(10) HAZARDOUS WASTE TREATMENT, STORAGE, OR DISPOSAL FACILITY. Any property or facility which is intended or used for the treatment, storage, or disposal of hazardous waste subject to the permit requirements of Section 22-30-12.
(11) LAND USE CONTROLS. Any restriction or control, which serves to protect human health and/or the environment, that limits use of and/or exposure to any portion of a property, including water resources.
(12) OWNER or OPERATOR.
a. The term includes the following:
1. In the case of a facility, any person owning or operating such facility.
2. Any person who owned, operated, or otherwise controlled activities at a facility immediately prior to title or control of the facility being conveyed due to bankruptcy, foreclosure, tax delinquency, abandonment, or similar means to a unit of state or local government.
b. The term does not include a person who can show evidence of ownership or a deed in lieu of foreclosure primarily to protect that person's security interest in the facility or who acts in good faith solely in a fiduciary capacity and who did not actively participate in the management, disposal, or release of hazardous wastes, hazardous constituents, or hazardous substances from the facility.
c. The term does not include a unit of state or local government which acquired ownership or control involuntarily through bankruptcy, tax delinquency, abandonment, or other circumstances in which the government involuntarily acquires title by virtue of its function as sovereign. However, this exclusion shall not apply to any state or local government which has caused or contributed to the release of hazardous waste, hazardous constituents, or hazardous substances from the facility.
(13) PREEXISTING RELEASE. A release, as that term is defined in this section, which occurred prior to an applicant's application for a limitation of liability pursuant to Section 22-30E-9.
(14) PROPERTY. The term is synonymous with "facility" and includes the following:
a. Any land, building, structure, installation, equipment, pipe or pipeline, sewer or publicly owned treatment works, pipe into a sewer or publicly owned treatment works, well, pit, pond, lagoon, impoundment, ditch, landfill, or storage container.
b. Any site or area where a hazardous waste, hazardous constituent, hazardous substance, or petroleum product has been deposited, stored, disposed of, placed, or has otherwise come to be located.
(15) PROSPECTIVE PURCHASER. A person who intends to purchase a qualifying property.
(16) QUALIFYING PROPERTY. A property which meets the criteria of Section 22-30E-6.
(17) RELEASE. Any intentional or unintentional act or omission resulting in the spilling, leaking, pumping, pouring, emitting, emptying, discharging, injecting, escaping, leaching, dumping, or disposing into the environment, including, without limitation, the abandonment or discarding of barrels, containers, and other closed receptacles, of any hazardous waste, hazardous constituent, petroleum products, or hazardous substance.
(18) REMEDIATION. This term is synonymous with "cleanup."
(19) RESPONSE ACTION. Those actions taken in the event of a release or threatened release of a hazardous waste, hazardous constituent, petroleum product, or hazardous substance into the environment to remove, or to prevent or minimize the release of hazardous waste, hazardous constituents, petroleum products, or hazardous substances so that they do not pose a threat to public health or the environment.
(20) RESPONSIBLE PERSON. This term generally means any person who has contributed or is contributing to a release of any hazardous waste, hazardous constituent, or hazardous substance at a property. This term specifically includes those persons described in Sections 107(a)(1) through 107(a)(4) of the federal Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act, 42 U.S.C., §9601, et seq. This term specifically excludes those persons described in Section 107(b) of the federal Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act, 42 U.S.C., §9601, et seq.
(21) RISK ASSESSMENT. A written site specific evaluation of the risks to human health and the environment posed by conditions at a site.
(22) VOLUNTARY CLEANUP PLAN. A voluntary cleanup plan approved under Section 22-30E-9.
(23) VOLUNTARY CLEANUP PROPERTIES INVENTORY. The Voluntary Cleanup Properties Inventory compiled and updated by the department pursuant to Section 22-30E-11.
(24) VOLUNTARY PROPERTY ASSESSMENT PLAN. A voluntary property assessment plan approved under Section 22-30E-9.
(Act 2001-635, p. 1225, §1.)