RULE §245.5 Requirements for Issuance of a Texas Certificate Based on Certification from Another Country

Published: 2015

Subscribe to a Global-Regulation Premium Membership Today!

Key Benefits:

Subscribe Now for only USD$20 per month, or Get a Day Pass for only USD$4.99.
(a) The appropriate standard certificate issued under Chapter 232, Subchapter A, of this title (relating to Types and Classes of Certificates Issued), may be issued to an applicant holding a certificate or other credential and college degree as specified in §245.1 of this title (relating to General Provisions). The applicant must:   (1) pass the appropriate examination(s) prescribed in the Texas Education Code (TEC), §21.048(a), and §230.5 of this title (relating to Educator Assessment); or   (2) achieve an acceptable score on an examination(s) similar to and at least as rigorous as the requirements prescribed in the TEC, §21.048(a), and §230.5 of this title that was administered under the authority of another country. The applicant shall verify in a manner determined by the Texas Education Agency staff the level of performance on acceptable examinations administered under the authority of another country. (b) If all certification requirements are met, except successful completion of the appropriate certification examination(s), the applicant may request issuance of a one-year certificate in one or more of the certification areas authorized by the certificate(s) or other credential(s) from another country. An applicant who holds only a credential that is equivalent to a student services, principal, or superintendent certificate issued in accordance with Chapter 239 of this title (relating to Student Services Certificates), with the exception of Subchapter E (relating to Master Teacher Certificate); Chapter 241 of this title (relating to Principal Certificate); or Chapter 242 of this title (relating to Superintendent Certificate) may be issued the equivalent Texas certificate. The applicant must verify two creditable years of public or private school experience, as defined in Chapter 153, Subchapter CC, of this title (relating to Commissioner's Rules on Creditable Years of Service) and the TEC, §5.001(2), in the specific student services or administrative area sought. (c) An applicant issued a one-year certificate under §232.1 of this title (relating to Types of Certificates) and this chapter who does not satisfy the appropriate examination requirements to establish eligibility for a standard certificate during the validity of the one-year certificate is not eligible for any type of certificate or permit authorizing employment for the same certification level or area until he or she has satisfied the examination requirements. If, due to extenuating circumstances, examination requirements are not met during the validity period of the one-year certificate, the educator may request an extension of the one-year certificate, not to exceed one calendar year in length. (d) An applicant issued a one-year certificate under subsection (c) of this section who, during or subsequent to the validity of the one-year certificate, satisfies the appropriate examination requirements and establishes eligibility for a standard certificate may apply for:   (1) a new one-year certificate in another certification area based on a certificate or other credential issued by a another country; or   (2) a second one-year certificate in an area previously authorized on a one-year certificate, provided the applicant was not assigned to the area and has not attempted the appropriate examination requirements for that area.

Source Note: The provisions of this §245.5 adopted to be effective February 3, 2000, 25 TexReg 572; amended to be effective June 9, 2002, 27 TexReg 4701; amended to be effective June 23, 2010, 35 TexReg 5195