§35. Taking of moose doing damage to fencing, tubing, or Christmas trees

Link to law: http://legislature.vermont.gov/statutes/section/10APPENDIX/001/00035
Published: 2015

Subscribe to a Global-Regulation Premium Membership Today!

Key Benefits:

Subscribe Now

The Vermont Statutes Online



Vermont Fish and Wildlife Regulations








35. Taking of moose doing damage to fencing, tubing, or Christmas trees

(A) Only with

prior approval from a Game Warden, a landowner may take a moose which has

repeatedly or may continue to substantially damage:

(1) tubing,

fittings, and mainline used in maple sap collection.

(2) fencing that

is currently containing hoofed livestock.

(3) Christmas

Tree Plantations.

(B) A landowner

may designate one individual who holds a resident Vermont hunting license as an

agent to take a moose doing damage, pursuant to subsection (a) of this section,

on the landower's behalf. A landowner may not offer or accept any form of

payment to or from a person designated as an agent under this subsection except

as allowed in subsection (e) of this section.

(C) The

landowner shall immediately report the wounding or killing of a moose under

this section to a Game Warden. Within 12 hours of said wounding or killing of a

moose under this section, the landowner or person who performed the act shall

submit a written, signed report relating the date, time, place and reason for

the wounding or killing to a Game Warden.

(D) A person who

kills the moose shall immediately properly dress the carcass and care for the


(E) The Game

Warden shall immediately investigate the case and if satisfied that the moose

was taken as provided in this section, the Warden shall give the landowner a

certificate of his or her finding in the matter. The certificate shall entitle

the landowner to the ownership of the carcass. The landowner may not sell or give

away the carcass except to offer all or a portion of it to the agent designated

under subsection (b) of this section as compensation for killing the moose. Any

carcass not desired for home consumption in the household of the certificate

holder or designated agent shall be turned over to a Game Warden. (1996, Fish

and Wildlife Commissioner's Reg. No. 1013, eff. July 6, 1996.)