LAND BANK FAST TRACK ACT (EXCERPT)
Act 258 of 2003
124.774 Authority created under MCL 124.773; borrowing money and issuing bonds or notes.
(1) By resolution of its board, an authority created under section 23 may borrow money and issue bonds and notes, subject to limitations set forth in this section, for the purpose of achieving the purposes of and objectives incident to and necessary or convenient to carry out the purposes and objectives of the authority, including, but not limited to, necessary administrative and operational costs. The bonds or notes shall mature in not more than 30 years and shall bear interest and be sold and be payable in the manner and upon the terms and conditions determined, or within the parameters specified, by the authority in the resolution authorizing issuance of the bonds or notes. The bonds or notes may include capitalized interest, an amount sufficient to fund costs of the issuance of the bonds or notes, and a sum to provide a reasonable reserve for payment of principal and interest on the bonds or notes. Bonds or notes issued under this section are not subject to the revised municipal finance act, 2001 PA 34, MCL 141.2101 to 141.2821. The resolution authorizing the obligations shall create a lien on revenues pledged by the resolution that shall be a statutory lien and shall be a first lien subject only to liens previously created. The resolution may provide the terms upon which additional bonds or notes may be issued of equal standing and parity of lien as to revenues pledged under the resolution.
(2) The qualified city or county which authorized the formation of an authority under section 23 may by a majority vote of its governing body make a limited tax pledge to support the authority's bonds or notes, or if authorized by the voters of the qualified city or county, may pledge its unlimited tax full faith and credit for the payment of principal of and interest on the authority's bonds or notes.
(3) The bonds or notes issued under this section shall be secured by 1 or more sources of revenue available to the authority, as provided by resolution of the authority, including revenues available to the authority under the tax reverted property clean title act.
(4) The bonds and notes of the authority may be invested in by the state treasurer and all other public officers, state agencies, and political subdivisions, insurance companies, banks, savings and loan associations, investment companies, and fiduciaries and trustees, and may be deposited with and received by the state treasurer and all other public officers and the agencies and political subdivisions of this state for 1 or more of the purposes for which the deposit of bonds or notes is authorized. The authorization granted by this section is supplemental and in addition to all other authority granted by law.
(5) The net present value of the principal and interest to be paid on an obligation issued by or incurred by the authority to refund an obligation incurred under this section, including the cost of issuance, shall be less than the net present value of the principal and interest to be paid on the obligation being refunded as calculated using a method approved by the department of treasury.
(6) An obligation issued by an authority under this section shall not appreciate in principal amount or be sold at a discount of more than 10% unless the obligation of the authority is issued to this state, an agency of this state, the county, or the qualifying city.
(7) Bonds and notes issued by an authority under this section and the interest on and income from the bonds and notes are exempt from taxation by this state or a political subdivision of this state.
(8) This section does not apply to a loan under section 2f of 1855 PA 105, MCL 21.142f.
History: 2003, Act 258, Imd. Eff. Jan. 5, 2004
Compiler's Notes: For transfer of powers and duties relative to land bank fast track act, 2003 PA 258, performed by Michigan strategic fund to Michigan state housing development authority, see E.R.O. No. 2013-3, compiled at MCL 125.1393.
© 2015 Legislative Council, State of Michigan