§2642. Salary and compensation of fire wardens

Link to law: http://legislature.vermont.gov/statutes/section/10/083/02642
Published: 2015

Subscribe to a Global-Regulation Premium Membership Today!

Key Benefits:

Subscribe Now

The Vermont Statutes Online



Conservation and Development








2642. Salary and compensation of fire wardens

(a) The salary

of a town fire warden shall be determined by the selectboard members for time

spent in the performance of the duties of his or her office, which shall be

paid by the town. He or she shall also receive from the town the sum of $0.15

for each fire permit issued. In addition thereto, he or she shall receive from

the Commissioner $20.00 annually for properly making out and submitting reports

of fires in his or her district and keeping the required State records. He or

she shall also receive from the Commissioner $15.00 per diem for attendance at

each training meeting called by the Commissioner.

(b) The pay of a

warden of an unorganized town or gore and his or her assistants, including

patrolmen, and all expenses incurred by him or her in extinguishing forest

fires, as provided for by the Commissioner, including employment of a person to

assist him or her, on the approval of the Commissioner, shall be paid by the

State from the monies annually available from taxes in the unorganized town and

gore, and the Commissioner of Finance and Management shall issue his or her

warrant therefor.

(c) A person

employed by a warden to assist him or her in extinguishing a forest fire as

authorized under section 2644 of this title, shall be paid at the same rate per

hour as is paid for labor upon highways. A minimum of two hours' pay for the

first hour or any portion thereof shall be allowed persons who are officially

summoned to assist in the extinguishment of forest fires. When a warden employs

men or women in extinguishing a fire in a municipality adjoining his or her

own, the expense incurred shall be paid by the municipality in which the work

was done at the rate of pay prevailing in the municipality where the laborers

reside. A municipality wherein such warden resides shall forthwith pay the

warden and assistants for their services, and the municipality may recover the

expense thereof in a civil action on this statute from the municipality where

the work was done. (Added 1977, No. 253 (Adj. Sess.), § 1; amended 1983, No.

195 (Adj. Sess.), § 5(b).)