For purposes of this article, the following terms shall have the following meanings:
(1) DEPARTMENT. The Alabama Department of Public Health.
(2) BOARD. The State Board of Health.
(3) COUNCIL. The Health Care Data Advisory Council.
(4) DATA. Patient information submitted by health care facilities to the Department of Public Health necessary to carry out the requirements of this article. The information required to be reported by health care facilities to the department shall be based upon the Federal Centers for Disease Control and Preventions National Healthcare Safety Network definitions of hospital-acquired infections and the guidelines for reporting.
(5) HEALTH CARE FACILITY. General, critical access, and specialized hospitals licensed pursuant to Section 22-21-20.
(6) HEALTH CARE FACILITY ACQUIRED INFECTIONS. A localized or systemic condition that:
a. Results from adverse reaction to the presence of an infectious agent or agents or its toxins.
b. Was not present or incubating at the time of admission to the health care facility.
(Act 2009-490, p. 900, §2.)