SUBCHAPTER 02D - AIR POLLUTION CONTROL REQUIREMENTS
SECTION .0100 - DEFINITIONS AND REFERENCES
15A NCAC 02D .0101 DEFINITIONS
The definition of any word or phrase used in Rules of this
Subchapter is the same as given in Article 21, G.S. 143, as amended. The
following words and phrases, which are not defined in the article, have the
(1) "Act" means The North Carolina Water and
Air Resources of Article 21.
(2) "Administrator" means, when it appears in
any Code of Federal Regulation incorporated by reference in this Subchapter,
the Director of the Division of Air Quality unless:
(a) a specific rule in this Subchapter specifies
(b) the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency in
its delegation or approval states that a specific authority of the
Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency is not included in its
delegation or approval.
(3) "Air pollutant" means an air pollution
agent or combination of such agents, including any physical, chemical,
biological, radioactive substance or matter emitted into or otherwise entering
the ambient air.
(4) "Ambient air" means that portion of the
atmosphere outside buildings or other enclosed structures, stacks, or ducts; and
that surrounds human, animal or plant life, or property.
(5) "Approved" means approved by the Director
of the Division of Air Quality according to these Rules.
(6) "Capture system" means the equipment
(including hoods, ducts, fans, etc.) used to contain, capture, or transport a
pollutant to a control device.
(7) "CFR" means the Code of Federal
(8) "Combustible material" means any
substance that, when ignited, will burn in air.
(9) "Construction" means change in method of
operation or any physical change, including on-site fabrication, erection,
installation, replacement, demolition, or modification of a source, that
results in a change in emissions or affects the compliance status.
(10) "Control device" means equipment (fume
incinerator, adsorber, absorber, scrubber, filter media, cyclone, electrostatic
precipitator, or the like) used to destroy or remove air pollutant(s) before
discharge to the ambient air.
(11) "Day" means a 24-hour period beginning at
(12) "Director" means the Director of the
Division of Air Quality, unless otherwise specified.
(13) "Division" means Division of Air Quality.
(14) "Dustfall" means particulate matter that
settles out of the air and is expressed in units of grams per square meter per
(15) "Emission" means the release or discharge,
whether directly or indirectly, of any air pollutant into the ambient air from
(16) "Facility" means all of the
pollutant-emitting activities, except transportation facilities, that are
located on one or more adjacent properties under common control.
(17) "FR" means the Federal Register.
(18) "Fugitive emission" means those emissions
that could not reasonably pass through a stack, chimney, vent, or other
(19) "Fuel burning equipment" means equipment
whose primary purpose is the production of energy or power from the combustion
of any fuel. Uses of the equipment includes heating water, generating or circulating
steam, heating air as in warm air furnace, or furnishing process heat by
transferring energy by fluids or through process vessel walls.
(20) "Garbage" means any animal and vegetable
waste resulting from the handling, preparation, cooking, and serving of food.
(21) "Incinerator" means a device designed to
burn solid, liquid, or gaseous waste material.
(22) "Opacity" means that property of a
substance tending to obscure vision and is measured as percent obscuration.
(23) "Open burning" means any fire whose
products of combustion are emitted directly into the outdoor atmosphere without
passing through a stack or chimney, approved incinerator, or other similar
(24) "Owner or operator" means any person who
owns, leases, operates, controls, or supervises a facility, source, or air
pollution control equipment.
(25) "Particulate matter" means any material
except uncombined water that exists in a finely divided form as a liquid or
solid at standard conditions.
(26) "Particulate matter emissions" means all
finely divided solid or liquid material, other than uncombined water, emitted
to the ambient air as measured by methods specified in this Subchapter.
(27) "Permitted" means any source subject to a
permit under this Subchapter or Subchapter 15A NCAC 02Q.
(28) "Person" as defined in G.S. 143-212
includes any individual, partnership, co-partnership, firm, company,
corporation, association, joint stock company, trust, estate, political
subdivision, or any other legal entity, or its legal representative, agent, or
(29) "PM10" means particulate matter with an
aerodynamic diameter less than or equal to a nominal 10 micrometers as measured
by methods specified in this Subchapter.
(30) "PM10 emissions" means finely divided
solid or liquid material, with an aerodynamic diameter less than or equal to a
nominal 10 micrometers emitted to the ambient air as measured by methods
specified in this Subchapter.
(31) "PM2.5" means particulate matter with an
aerodynamic diameter less than or equal to a nominal 2.5 micrometers as
measured by methods specified in this Subchapter.
(32) "Refuse" means any garbage, rubbish, or
(33) "Rubbish" means solid or liquid wastes
from residences, commercial establishments, or institutions.
(34) "Rural area" means an area that is devoted
to the following uses: agriculture, recreation, wildlife management, state
park, or any area of natural cover.
(35) "Salvage operation" means any business,
trade, or industry engaged in whole or in part in salvaging or reclaiming any
product or material, including metal, chemicals, motor vehicles, shipping
containers, or drums.
(36) "Smoke" means small gas-borne particles
resulting from incomplete combustion, consisting predominantly of carbon, ash,
and other burned or unburned residue of combustible materials that form a
(37) "Source" means any stationary article,
machine, process equipment, or other contrivance; or any combination; or any
tank-truck, trailer, or railroad tank car; from which air pollutants emanate or
are emitted, either directly or indirectly.
(38) "Sulfur oxides" means sulfur dioxide,
sulfur trioxide, their acids, and the salts of their acids. The concentration
of sulfur dioxide shall be measured by the methods specified in this
(39) "Transportation facility" means a complex
source as defined in G.S. 143‑213(22).
(40) "Total suspended particulate" means any
finely divided solid or liquid material, except water in uncombined form, that
is or has been airborne as measured by methods specified in this Subchapter.
(41) "Trade wastes" means all solid, liquid, or
gaseous waste materials or rubbish resulting from combustion, salvage
operations, building operations, or the operation of any business, trade, or
industry including, but not limited to, plastic products, paper, wood, glass,
metal, paint, grease, oil and other petroleum products, chemicals, and ashes.
(42) "ug" means micrograms.
History Note: Authority G.S. 143‑213; 143‑215.3(a)(1);
Eff. June 1, 1976;
Amended Eff. December 1, 1989; July 1, 1988; July 1,
Temporary Amendment Eff. March 8, 1994 for a period of
180 days or until the permanent rule becomes effective, whichever is sooner;
Amended Eff. January 1, 2015; December 1, 2005; June 1,
2004; July 1, 1998; July 1, 1996; July 1, 1994.