(R.S., D.C., § 404; June 11, 1878, 20 Stat. 107, ch. 180, § 6; Apr. 20, 1999, D.C. Law 12-261, § 1231, 46 DCR 3142.)
1981 Ed., § 4-147.
1973 Ed., § 4-147.
Legislative History of Laws
Law 12-261, the "Second Omnibus Regulatory Reform Amendment Act of 1998," was introduced into Council and assigned Bill No. 12-845, which was referred to the Committee of the Whole. The Bill was adopted on first and second readings on December 1, 1998, and December 15, 1998, respectively. Signed by the Mayor on December 31, 1998, it was assigned Act No. 12-615 and transmitted to both Houses of Congress for its review. D.C. Law 12-261 became effective on April 20, 1999.
Change in Government
This section originated at a time when local government powers were delegated to a Board of Commissioners of the District of Columbia (see Acts Relating to the Establishment of the District of Columbia and its Various Forms of Governmental Organization in Volume 1). Section 401 of Reorganization Plan No. 3 of 1967 (see Reorganization Plans in Volume 1) transferred all of the functions of the Board of Commissioners under this section to a single Commissioner. The District of Columbia Self-Government and Governmental Reorganization Act, 87 Stat. 818, § 711 (D.C. Code, § 1-207.11), abolished the District of Columbia Council and the Office of Commissioner of the District of Columbia. These branches of government were replaced by the Council of the District of Columbia and the Office of Mayor of the District of Columbia, respectively. Accordingly, and also pursuant to § 714(a) of such Act (D.C. Code, § 1-207.14(a)), appropriate changes in terminology were made in this section.