Effective 5/12/2020 72-16-201 Creation of Utah Amusement Ride Safety Committee. (1) There is created within the department the Utah Amusement Ride Safety Committee. (2) The committee is comprised of the following members:
(a) six members as follows, appointed by the governor: (i) one member who represents fairs in the state that employ 25 or more employees; (ii) one member who represents mobile ride operators; (iii) one member who represents permanent ride operators; (iv) one member who represents large amusement parks in the state; (v) one member who represents the public at large; and (vi) one member who represents a nationally recognized amusement ride safety or regulatory
organization; and (b) one nonvoting member appointed by the executive director.
(3) (a) Except as provided in Subsection (3)(b), the governor shall appoint each member described
in Subsection (2)(a) to a four-year term. (b) The governor shall, at the time of appointment or reappointment, adjust the length of terms
to ensure that the terms of the committee members appointed under Subsection (2)(a) are staggered so that approximately half of the committee is appointed every two years.
(4) In making an appointment under Subsection (2)(a), the governor shall request and consider recommendations from:
(a) the membership of the interest from which the appointment is to be made; and (b) the department.
(5) When a vacancy occurs in the membership of the committee, the governor shall appoint a replacement for the remainder of the unexpired term.
(6) A member of the committee may not receive compensation or benefits for the member's service, but may receive per diem and travel expenses in accordance with:
(a) Section 63A-3-106; (b) Section 63A-3-107; and (c) rules made by the Division of Finance in accordance with Sections 63A-3-106 and 63A-3-107.
(7) The department shall supply the committee with office space, equipment, and staff the executive director finds appropriate.
(8) (a) The committee shall select a chair annually from the committee members. (b) Four voting members constitute a quorum for conducting committee business. (c) A majority vote of a quorum present at a meeting constitutes an action of the committee.
(9) The committee shall meet at least quarterly and at the call of the chair or of a majority of the members.
Amended by Chapter 423, 2020 General Session