R17. Government Operations, Archives and Records Service.
R17-6. Records Storage and Disposal at the State Records Center.
R17-6-1. Authority and Purpose.
In accordance with Subsection 63A-12-104(1), this rule establishes a procedure for the storage and disposal of records at the State Records Center.
R17-6-2. Records Storage and Disposal -- Agency Responsibility.
(1) An agency may transfer semi-active records to the Records Center for storage.
(2) Prior to transfer, the agency must verify that records have a State Archives record series number, an approved retention schedule, and have met all in office retention requirements.
(3) Records stored in the State Records Center remain in the official custody of the agency that transferred them.
(4) In the event that an agency has not transferred records to the Records Center, it is the agency's responsibility to manage, maintain, and destroy records in its custody in accordance with the records series' approved retention schedule and to document the records destruction.
R17-6-3. Records Storage and Disposal -- Archives Responsibility.
(1) The State Archives stores semi-active records at the State Records Center in accordance with the approved retention schedule. The State Records Center may accept records for which a proposed retention has been presented to the Records Management Committee with the provision that if the committee does not approve the retention, the records will be returned to the agency.
(2) The State Archives destroys records stored at the Records Center in accordance with the approved retention schedule and upon authorization from the creating agency. If the creating agency does not respond to the second request for authorized destruction within 90 days, the records may be returned to the agency.
(3) In the event that a record has met its scheduled retention requirements and the Records Center is unable to locate an authorized agency to provide destruction approval or the agency is obsolete, the records will become the official custody of the Utah State Archives and the State Archivist will determine the disposition of the records.
KEY: records retention, public information, access to information
Date of Enactment or Last Substantive Amendment: August 7, 2020
Notice of Continuation: October 27, 2017
Authorizing, and Implemented or Interpreted Law: 63A-12-104; 63A-12-112; 63A-12-113