R313. Environmental Quality, Waste Management and Radiation Control, Radiation.
R313-24. Uranium Mills and Source Material Mill Tailings Disposal Facility Requirements.
R313-24-1. Purpose and Authority.
(1) The purpose of this rule is to prescribe requirements for possession and use of source material in milling operations such as conventional milling, in-situ leaching, or heap-leaching. The rule includes requirements for the possession of byproduct material, as defined in Section R313-12-3 (see "byproduct material" definition (b)), from source material milling operations, as well as, possession and maintenance of a facility in standby mode. In addition, requirements are prescribed for the receipt of byproduct material from other persons for possession and disposal. The rule also prescribes requirements for receipt of byproduct material from other persons for possession and disposal incidental to the byproduct material generated by the licensee's source material milling operations.
(2) The rules set forth herein are adopted pursuant to the provisions of Subsections 19-3-104(4) and 19-3-104(7).
(3) The requirements of Rule R313-24 are in addition to, and not substitution for, the other applicable requirements of Title R313. In particular, the provisions of Rules R313-12, R313-15, R313-18, R313-19, R313-21, R313-22, and R313-70 apply to applicants and licensees subject to Rule R313-24.
(4) See R313-17-4 for special procedures for decisions associated with licenses for activity which results in the production or disposal of byproduct material.
(1) The requirements in Rule R313-24 apply to source material milling operations, byproduct material, and byproduct material disposal facilities.
R313-24-3. Environmental Analysis.
(1) Each new license application, renewal, or major amendment shall contain an environmental report describing the proposed action, a statement of its purposes, and the environment affected. The environmental report shall present a discussion of the following:
(a) An assessment of the radiological and nonradiological impacts to the public health from the activities to be conducted pursuant to the license or amendment;
(b) An assessment of any impact on waterways and groundwater resulting from the activities conducted pursuant to the license or amendment;
(c) Consideration of alternatives, including alternative sites and engineering methods, to the activities to be conducted pursuant to the license or amendment; and
(d) Consideration of the long-term impacts including decommissioning, decontamination, and reclamation impacts, associated with activities to be conducted pursuant to the license or amendment.
(2) Commencement of construction prior to issuance of the license or amendment shall be grounds for denial of the license or amendment.
(3) The Director shall provide a written analysis of the environmental report which shall be available for public notice and comment pursuant to R313-17-2.
R313-24-4. Clarifications or Exceptions.
For the purposes of Rule R313-24, 10 CFR 40.2a through 40.4; 40.12; 40.20(a); 40.21; 40.26(a) through (c); 40.31(h); the introductory paragraph of 40.36 and 40.36(a),(b),(d) and (f); 40.41(c); the introduction to 40.42(k) and 40.42(k)(3)(i); 40.46; 40.61(a) and (b); 40.65; and Appendix A to Part 40 (2015) are incorporated by reference with the following clarifications or exceptions:
(1) The exclusion and substitution of the following:
(a) Exclude 10 CFR 40.26(c)(1) and replace with "(1) The provisions of Sections R313-12-51, R313-12-52, R313-12-53, R313-19-34, R313-19-50, R313-19-61, R313-24-1, Rules R313-14, R313-15, R313-18, and R313-24 (incorporating 10 CFR 40.2a, 40.3, 40.4, and 40.26 by reference)";
(b) In Appendix A to 10 CFR 40, exclude Criterion 5B(1) through 5H, Criterion 7A, Criterion 13, and replace the excluded Criterion with "Utah Administrative Code, R317-6, Ground Water Quality Protection"; and
(c) In Appendix A to 10 CFR 40, exclude Criterion 11A through 11F and Criterion 12;
(2) The substitution of the following:
(a) "10 CFR 40" for reference to "this part" as found throughout the incorporated text;
(b) "Director" for reference to "Commission" in the first and fourth references contained in 10 CFR 40.2a, in 10 CFR 40.3, 40.20(a), 40.26, 40.36(f), 40.41(c), 40.46 (a), 40.61, and 40.65; and "Director" for reference to "NRC" in 10 CFR 40.36(b);
(c) "Rules R313-19, R313-21, or R313-22" for "Section 62 of the Act" as found in 10 CFR 40.12(a);
(d) "Rule R313-15-402" for reference to "10 CFR 20.1402" and "Rule R313-15-403" for reference to "10 CFR 20.1403" in 10 CFR 40.36(d);
(e) "Rule R313-15-1109" for reference to "10 CFR 20.2108" in 10 CFR 40.36(f);
(f) "Rules R313-21 or R313-22" for reference to "the regulations in this part" in 10 CFR 40.41(c);
(g) "Section R313-19-100" for reference to "part 71 of this chapter" as found in 10 CFR 40.41(c);
(h) In 10 CFR 40.42(k)(3)(i), "R313-15-401 through R313-15-406" for reference to "10 CFR part 20, subpart E";
(i) "source material milling" for reference to "uranium milling, in production of uranium hexafluoride, or in a uranium enrichment facility" as found in 10 CFR 40.65(a);