R277. Education, Administration.
R277-929. State Council on Military Children.
R277-929-1. Authority and Purpose.
(1) This rule is authorized by:
(a) Utah Constitution Article X, Section 3, which vests general control and supervision over public education in the Board;
(b) Section 53E-3-401(4), which allows the Board to make rules to execute the Board's duties and responsibilities under the Utah Constitution and state law; and
(c) Section 53E-3-920.1, which requires the Board to create a state council in accordance with the Interstate Compact on Educational Opportunity for Military Children.
(2) The purpose of this rule is to:
(a) establish a state council for military children; and
(b) establish a purple star schools designation for Utah schools meeting eligibility criteria.
(1) "Commissioner" means the compact commissioner appointed by the Governor in accordance with Section 53E-3-921.
(2) "Compact" means Title 53E, Chapter 3, Part 9, Interstate Compact on Educational Opportunity for Military Children.
(3) "Designated staff point of contact" means a counselor, administrator, teacher, or other staff member who is familiar with the needs of military students and the protections afforded to service members' children under the compact.
(4) "State council" means the State Council for Military Children created through this rule.
R277-929-3. Establishment of State Council.
(1) There is hereby created the State Council for Military Children.
(2) The state council shall:
(a) coordinate implementation of the compact amongst:
(i) state agencies;
(ii) LEAs; and
(iii) military installations;
(b) safeguard the interests of military impacted students within the state;
(c) make recommendations for laws and policies to benefit military impacted students; and
(d) promote awareness of compact rights and protections with military families.
(3)(a) The Superintendent shall invite the individuals identified in Subsection 53E-3-909(1) to participate in the state council.
(b) The Superintendent may invite other individuals with interest or expertise in working with military students to participate in the state council.
(4) The Superintendent shall coordinate with the Commissioner to schedule meetings of the state council.
(5) The state council shall meet on an annual basis or with such other frequency as may be required by compact rules.
(6) The Commissioner shall be responsible for filing all required reports with the national compact office.
R277-929-4. Purple Star Schools.
(1) There is hereby created a purple star schools designation for Utah schools that excel in protecting the educational needs of students from military families.
(2) The Commissioner shall establish an application process for Utah schools interested in the purple star schools designation.
(3) The Commissioner shall review purple star school applications with the state council created in Section R277-929-3 and make recommendations for the purple star school designation.
(4) The Superintendent shall award the purple star school designation to a Utah school that:
(a) has a designated staff point of contact for military students and families who acts as the primary link between a military family and the school;
(b) has a dedicated page on its school website featuring information and resources for military families;
(c) has a student-led transition program to include a student transition team coordinator;
(d) provides professional development for additional staff on special considerations for military students and families; and
(e) meets at least one of the following criteria:
(i) the school shall commit to hold a school-wide military recognition event;
(ii) the school's governing board shall pass a resolution publicizing support for military students and families; or
(iii) the school shall partner with a school liaison officer to provide opportunities for active duty parents to volunteer in the school.
(5)(a) The Superintendent shall approve a seal for schools with a purple star school designation.
(b) A purple star school may use the approved seal on school letterhead, the school's website, and other school publications.
(6) The Superintendent shall publish a list of schools receiving the purple star designation on the Board's website.
(7)(a) The Commissioner shall review a school's purple star school designation with the state council every three years.
(b) The Superintendent may extend or remove a school's purple star designation based on the results of the state council's review.
KEY: state council, military, compact
Date of Enactment of Last Substantive Amendment: February 9, 2021
Authorizing, and Implemented or Interpreted Law: Art X Sec 3; 53E-3-401(4)