R277. Education, Administration.
R277-922. Digital Teaching and Learning Grant Program.
R277-922-1. Authority and Purpose.
(1) This rule is authorized by:
(a) Utah Constitution Article X, Section 3, which vests general control and supervision over public education in the Board;
(b) Subsection 53E-3-401(4), which allows the Board to make rules to execute the Board's duties and responsibilities under the Utah Constitution and state law; and
(c) Section 53F-2-510, Digital Teaching and Learning Grant Program, which requires the Board to:
(i) establish a qualifying grant program; and
(ii) adopt rules related to administration of the Digital Teaching and Learning Grant Program.
(2) The purpose of this rule is to:
(a) establish an application and grant review committee and process;
(b) give direction to LEAs participating in the Digital Teaching and Learning Program.
(1) "Advisory committee" means the Digital Teaching and Learning Advisory Committee:
(a) established by the Board as required in Section 53F-2-510; and
(b) required to perform the duties described in R277-922-5.
(2) "LEA plan" has the same meaning as that term is defined in Section 53F-2-510.
(3) "Master plan" means Utah's Master Plan: Essential Elements for Technology-Powered Learning incorporated by reference in R277-922-3.
(4) "Program" has the same meaning as that term is defined in Section 53F-2-510.
(5) "Participating LEA" means an LEA that:
(a) has an LEA plan approved by the Board; and
(b) receives a grant under the program.
R277-922-3. Incorporation of Utah's Master Plan by Reference.
(1) This rule incorporates by reference Utah's Master Plan: Essential Elements for Technology-Powered Learning, October 9, 2015, which establishes:
(a) the application process for an LEA to receive a grant under the program; and
(b) a more detailed description of the requirements of an LEA plan.
(2) A copy of the Master Plan is located at:
(a) https://www.schools.utah.gov/curr/digital?mid=4332&tid=4; and
(b) the Utah State Board of Education, 250 East 500 South, Salt Lake City, Utah 84111.
R277-922-4. LEA Planning Grants.
(1) An LEA may apply for a planning grant in lieu of preparing an LEA plan and receiving a Digital Teaching and Learning Grant as described in this rule.
(2) A planning grant awarded under Subsection (1) shall be in the amount of $5,000.
(3) To qualify for a planning grant, an LEA shall:
(a) send an LEA representative to a pre-grant submission training conducted by the Superintendent; and
(b) complete the readiness assessment required in Section 53F-2-510.
(4)(a) If an LEA receives a planning grant, the LEA shall submit an LEA plan as set forth in Section R277-922-8 for the subsequent school year.
(b) An LEA that fails to submit an LEA plan in the subsequent year shall reimburse funds awarded under Subsection (2) to the program.
R277-922-5. Digital Teaching and Learning Advisory Committee Duties.
(1) The advisory committee shall include the following individuals who will serve as non-voting chairs:
(a) the Deputy Superintendent of Instructional Services or designee; and
(b) the Director of the Utah Education and Telehealth Network or designee.
(2) In addition to the chairs described in Subsection (1), the Board shall appoint six members to the advisory committee as follows:
(a) the Digital Teaching and Learning Coordinator;
(b) one member who represents a school district with expertise in digital teaching and learning;
(c) one member who represents a charter school with expertise in digital teaching and learning;
(d) two members that have earned a national certification in education technology, that may include a certification from the Certified Education Technology Leader from the Consortium for School Networking (CoSN); and
(e) one member who represents the Utah School Superintendents Association.
(3) The advisory committee shall:
(a) oversee review of an LEA plan to determine whether the LEA plan meets the criteria described in Section R277-922-8;
(b) make a recommendation to the Superintendent and the Board on whether the Board should approve or deny an LEA plan;