R68. Agriculture and Food, Plant Industry.
R68-1. Utah Bee Inspection Act Governing Inspection of Bees.
Promulgated under the authority of Section 4-11-103.
1) Every owner or person coming into possession of one or more colonies of bees within the State of Utah shall register with the Department of Agriculture and Food in accordance with the provisions in Section 4-11-104.
2) The Utah Department of Agriculture and Food may waive the registration fee for youth non-profit groups using hives for educational purposes.
R68-1-3. Apiary Identification.
1) Each apiary location shall be identified by a sign showing the owner's registration number issued by the Utah Department of Agriculture and Food, unless the apiary is located on property owned by the beekeeper.
2) The registration number shall be at least one inch in height, easily readable and displayed in a conspicuous location in the apiary; or similar identification conspicuously displayed on one or more hive bodies within the apiary. Any apiary not so identified shall be considered abandoned and shall be subject to seizure and destruction as provided for in Section 4-11-114.
R68-1-4. Assistance in Locating Apiaries.
1) All beekeepers shall personally assist the department or county bee inspectors in locating their apiaries, or provide accurate and detailed information as to location of all bee hives under their control or possession.
2) Bee inspectors shall make a good faith effort to contact the beekeeper prior to an inspection.
R68-1-5. Salvage Operations.
1) All salvage operations with respect to wax, hives and appliances from diseased colonies shall be performed in a tightly screened enclosure using the following procedure:
a) frames and comb held for at least 30 minutes in boiling water (212 degrees F) before any wax is removed;
b) after removal from the boiling water the frames are destroyed or boiled for a minimum of 20 minutes in a solution of lye water containing no less than 10 pounds of lye (Sodium Hydroxide) for each 100 gal. of water; and
c) hive bodies, supers, covers and bottom boards are thoroughly scorched or boiled for a minimum of 20 minutes in the lye water solution.
Date of Enactment or Last Substantive Amendment: November 23, 2015
Notice of Continuation: April 6, 2020
Authorizing, and Implemented or Interpreted Law: 4-11-103