CH.I002 lAWS OF THE SEVENTY-EIGHTH G.A., 2000 SESSION
CHAPTER 1002 DENTAL ASSISTANTS - REGISTRATION AND SCOPE OF AUTHORITY
AN ACT providing registration requirements and establishing a scope of authority for dental assistants, and providing an effective date.
Be It Enacted by the General Assembly of the State of Iowa:
Section 1. Section 147.13, subsection 8, Code 1999, is amended to read as follows: 8. For dentistry. and dental hygiene, and dental assisting. dental examiners.
Sec. 2. Section 147.80, Code 1999, is amended by adding the following new subsection: NEW SUBSECTION. 27A. Registration to practice as a dental assistant, registration to
practice as a dental assistant under a reciprocal agreement, or renewal of registration to practice as a dental assistant.
Sec. 3. Section 153.14, subsection 1, Code 1999, is amended to read as follows: 1. Students of dentistry who practice dentistry upon patients at clinics in connection with
their regular course of instruction at the state dental college and students of dental hygiene who practice upon patients at clinics in connection with their regular course of instruction at state-approved schools. and students of dental assisting who practice upon patients at clinics in connection with a regular course of instruction determined by the board of den- tistry pursuant to section 153.39.
Sec. 4. Section 153.14, Code 1999, is amended by adding the following new subsection: NEW SUBSECTION. 5. Persons registered to practice as a dental assistant.
Sec. 5. NEW SECTION. 153.38 DENTAL ASSISTANTS - SCOPE OF TERM. A registered dental assistant may perform those services of assistance to a licensed den-
tist as determined by the board of dentistry by rule. Such services shall be performed under supervision of a licensed dentist in a dental office, a public or private school, public health agencies, hospitals, and the armed forces, but shall not be construed to authorize a dental assistant to practice dentistry or dental hygiene. Every licensed dentist who utilizes the services of a registered dental assistant for the purpose of assistance in the practice of dentistry shall be responsible for acts delegated to the registered dental assistant. A dentist shall delegate to a registered dental assistant only those acts which are authorized to be delegated to registered dental assistants by the board of dentistry.
Sec. 6. NEW SECTION. 153.39 DENTAL ASSISTANTS - REGISTRATION REQUIRE- MENTS, RENEWAL, REVOCATION, OR SUSPENSION.
1. A person shall not practice on or after July 1, 2001 as a dental assistant unless the person has registered with the board and received a certificate of registration pursuant to this chapter.
2. A person shall be registered upon the successful completion of education and examina- tion requirements. Education requirements shall be determined by the board by rule, and may be satisfied either through a formal series of classes or through job equivalency train- ing, according to standards to be determined by the board. The education requirements may include possession of a valid certificate in a nationally recognized course in cardiopulmo- nary resuscitation. Successful passage of an examination administered by the board, which shall include sections regarding infection control, hazardous materials, and jurisprudence, shall also be required. The board shall establish continuing education requirements as a condition of renewing registration as a registered dental assistant, as well as standards for the suspension or revocation of registration.
3 LAWS OFTHE SEVENTY-EIGHTH G.A., 2000 SESSION CH.1003
3. Individuals employed as a dental assistant as of July 1,2001, shall be registered with the board and receive a certificate of registration, and individuals employed as a dental assistant after July 1,2001, shall have a sixty-day period following their first date of employ- ment after July 1, 2001, to comply with the provisions of subsection 1.
Sec. 7. LEG ISLA TIVE INTENT. It is the intent of the general assembly that the board of dental examiners adopt rules authorized pursuant to sections 5 and 6 of this Act, to be adopted on or before January 1,2001. The board shall consider, in adopting rules, recom- mendations of the scope of practice review committee relating to practice as a dental assis- tant. The board shall not, however, adopt rules that delegate to a dental assistant any of the following services:
1. Administration of local anesthesia. 2. Placement of sealants. 3. Removal of any plaque, stain, calculus, or hard natural or synthetic material except by
toothbrush, floss, or rubber cup coronal polish.
Sec. 8. EFFECTIVE DATE. Section 7 of this Act, being deemed of immediate impor- tance, takes effect upon enactment for the purpose of developing rules for adoption on or before January 1,2001.
Approved February 23,2000
CHAPTER 1003 LICENSURE, OWNERSHIP, OPERATION, OR CONTROL OF
MOTOR VEHICLE DEALERS - MANUFACTURERS, DISTRIBUTORS, WHOLESALERS, AND IMPORTERS
AN ACT prohibiting motor vehicle manufacturers, distributors, wholesalers, and importers from being licensed as, owning an interest in, operating, or controlling a motor vehicle dealer, providing exceptions, and making a penalty applicable.
Be It Enacted by the General Assembly of the State of Iowa:
Section 1. Section 322.3, Code Supplement 1999, is amended by adding the following new subsection:
NEW SUBSECTION. 14. A manufacturer, distributor, wholesaler, or importer shall not directly or indirectly be licensed as, own an interest in, operate, or control a motor vehicle dealer. This subsection shall not prohibit any of the following:
a. A manufacturer or importer from being licensed as a motor vehicle dealer or owning an interest in, operating, or controlling a motor vehicle dealership for a period not to exceed one year to facilitate transfer of the motor vehicle dealership to a new owner if both of the following apply:
(1) The prior owner transferred the motor vehicle dealership to the manufacturer or importer. (2) The motor vehicle dealership is continuously offered for sale by the manufacturer or
importer upon reasonable terms and conditions. b. A manufacturer or importer from temporarily owning an interest in a motor vehicle
dealership for the purpose of enhancing opportunities for persons who lack the financial resources to purchase the motor vehicle dealership without such assistance. A manufac- turer or importer may temporarily own an interest in a motor vehicle dealership pursuant to