Section 16-13A-5Supervision, fiduciary responsibility of chief school financial officer; duties.
(a) The chief school financial officer shall work under the direct supervision of the local superintendent of education but shall have a fiduciary responsibility to the local board of education.
(b) The chief school financial officer shall perform each of the following duties:
(1) Verify the receipt of all funds to which the local board of education may be entitled by law or which may come into its possession for public school purposes.
(2) Verify the payment of such funds, such payments to occur only on written order of the local superintendent of education.
(3) Keep an accurate record of all receipts and expenditures, and provide such information to the local superintendent and the local board.
(4) Make reports as may be required by law, by the local board of education, or by rules and regulations of the State Board of Education.
(5) Personally notify, in writing, each board member and the local superintendent of education of any financial transaction of the local board of education which the chief school financial officer deems to be non-routine, unusual, without legal authorization, or not in compliance with the fiscal management policies of the board. The notification shall be recorded in the minutes of the board by the president of the local board of education.
(6) Be bonded in an amount determined by the State Board of Education.
(Act 2006-196, p. 275, §2.)