Section 12-25-4Advisory council.
(a) An advisory council to the commission shall be established to advise and consult the commission on sentencing matters. The advisory council shall be composed of representatives from the various state and non-state agencies and organizations having an interest in or whose operations directly or indirectly impact upon the criminal justice system. Membership of the advisory council shall include:
(1) The Director of Public Safety, or his or her designee.
(2) The Director of the Department of Youth Services, or his or her designee.
(3) A sheriff appointed by the Alabama Sheriff's Association.
(4) A police chief appointed by the Alabama Association of Chiefs of Police.
(5) A director of a community corrections program appointed by the Chief Justice.
(6) A representative of a prison ministry organization, who is not employed by the state, appointed by the Commissioner of the Department of Corrections.
(7) A rehabilitated former prison inmate appointed by the Commissioner of the Department of Corrections.
(8) Additional advisory members appointed in the numbers and manner as the commission deems advisable.
(b)(1) Appointed members of the advisory council shall serve terms of four years and may be reappointed. Members of the advisory council who serve because of their public office or position shall serve only as long as they hold the office or position.
(2) A member appointed to fill a vacancy on the advisory council that occurs before the expiration of the term of his or her predecessor shall serve only for the remainder of the term.
(Act 2000-596, p. 1192, §4.)