As used in this article the following words shall have the following meanings:
(1) APPOINTING AUTHORITY. The judge of probate, the license commissioner, the tax assessor, the tax collector, the sheriff, the county commission, the county engineer, the county administrator, or other individuals as designated by law, who is responsible for the selection and supervision of individuals employed in his or her department.
(2) BOARD or CIVIL SERVICE BOARD. The Civil Service Board of Calhoun County.
(3) CLASSIFIED SERVICE. That category of service to the county in which the incumbent employees are approved to work on an on-going basis in an authorized job or position at least 32 hours in their established workweek.
(4) COUNTY. Calhoun County, Alabama.
(5) COUNTY COMMISSION. The County Commission of Calhoun County or any other body established by law in its stead.
(6) ELIGIBILITY LIST. A listing prepared by the board that contains the names of those applicants who have been determined by the board to have completed prescribed qualification tests and possess the required prerequisites necessary for appointment to a position in the classified service.
(7) EMPLOYEE. Any person employed by Calhoun County in any capacity who has not been exempted from the county civil service system by Section 45-8-120.01.
(8) JOB or POSITION. Any job or position that has been duly funded by the Calhoun County Commission, and classified by the Calhoun County Civil Service Board.
(9) PART-TIME SERVICE. That category of service to the county in which the incumbent employees are approved to work on an on-going basis in an authorized job or position less than 32 hours in their established workweek.
(10) PERFORMANCE RATING. A documented employee evaluation conducted by the appointing authority or his or her designee and noted on an evaluation conducted by the appointing authority or his or her designee and noted on an evaluation form approved by the board.
(11) PROBATIONARY STATUS. That condition of employment that an individual employed in classified service is afforded until he or she satisfactorily completes the probationary period established herein, but in no event shall this probationary period exceed six months continuous employment. Additionally, throughout this probationary status period, the appointing authority may terminate a probationary employee at his or her discretion regardless of whether a performance rating has been performed.
(12) REEMPLOYMENT LIST. That list of names of individuals who were designated as regular status employees in the classified service and have been laid off in the past two years or who have resigned in good standing.
(13) REGULAR STATUS. That condition of employment that an individual employed in the classified service is afforded by the board upon satisfactorily completion of the established probationary period.
(14) TEMPORARY SERVICE. That category of service to the county in which the individuals are employed to work in a job or position that has been approved for a limited period of time that shall not exceed 180 consecutive calendar days.
(15) WORKWEEK. A period of seven consecutive days that has been established in the same manner as required by the Fair Labor Standards Act.
(Act 96-479, p. 595, §3.)