Section 41-10-651Legislative findings.
(a) The Legislature finds and declares the following:
(1) That it is appropriate and necessary that measures be taken to secure to the citizens of the state the benefits of a strengthening economy resulting from increased industrial development. That among these benefits are diversification of available job opportunities, higher salaries, better working conditions, lower consumer prices for industrial products, conservation and efficient use of natural resources, and maximum utilization of technical skills possessed by the citizens of the state.
(2) That the police power of the state places upon the Legislature the duties of ascertaining and determining when the welfare of the people requires the exercise of such power.
(3) That the public interest lies in the promotion of industry, and the welfare of the people is so inextricably intertwined with industry and industrial development as to make its well-being a matter of governmental concern.
(4) That the recruitment of industries to the state, which produces additional jobs and strengthens the state's economy, has become increasingly competitive, with the state being required to compete not only with other states, but also foreign nations.
(5) That in an effort to secure for its citizens the benefits of a sound and diversified economy and a higher quality of life, the State of Alabama, acting in its own name and through various entities, has made substantial financial commitments for incentives to induce an internationally renowned company to locate a state-of-the-art manufacturing facility in Alabama.
(6) That it is necessary and in the public interest to honor the commitments heretofore made by the State of Alabama to such company.
(b) By the passage of this division, it is the intention of the Legislature to:
(1) Authorize the authority to sell and issue from time to time its bonds not exceeding fifty million dollars ($50,000,000) in aggregate principal amount for the purpose of providing the State of Alabama with the funds necessary to honor its commitments to such company;
(2) Prescribe certain additional powers and duties of the authority which are necessary to enable the State of Alabama to honor its commitments to the company;
(3) Provide that the bonds authorized hereby will be payable solely out of and secured by a pledge and assignment of tobacco revenues held in the Alabama 21st Century Fund.
(Act 99-391, p. 641, §1.)