(a) Isolated wells or cisterns unassociated with other
remains will be treated as follows:
(1) isolated wells or cisterns that post-date 1900
A.D. do not warrant notification of THC or additional investigation.
Removal or sealing of these features does not constitute an adverse
(2) isolated wells or cisterns that pre-date 1900 A.D.
require documentation of their location, construction, and condition.
Upon completion of the documentation, these features may be backfilled
and capped. These activities do not constitute an adverse effect.
(b) Burnt rock midden features that have not been obviously
destroyed by modern disturbances will be treated as follows:
(1) the feature will be trenched to expose a cross-section;
(2) the exposed profiles will be documented, focusing
on the identification of any internal structure;
(3) column samples will be taken from the exposed profile
in order to collect samples for flotation and dating from each deposit
recognized in the profile;
(4) deviations from this standard approach may be undertaken
if TxDOT coordinates an alternate approach with THC; and
(5) any additional work on the feature will be determined
in consultation between TxDOT and THC, based on the results of the
Source Note: The provisions of this §2.266 adopted to be effective May 16, 2013, 38 TexReg 2861