The following words and terms used in this article shall have the meanings as set forth in this section:
(1) ACTIVE MEMBER. A member of a federally recognized unit of the Alabama National Guard meeting the minimum requirements for satisfactory membership as defined in the regulations of the Department of the United States Army and the Department of the United States Air Force.
(2) ALABAMA NATIONAL GUARD. Federally recognized units of the Alabama National Guard.
(3) DEGREE OBJECTIVE. A series of courses (enrolled hours) which apply toward a specific degree.
(4) TUITION. The total semester, quarter, or classroom hour cost of instruction and fees, excluding late registration fees, academic penalty fees, and electives fees, to the student as periodically published in the catalog of the educational institution, not to exceed the average full-time class load.
(5) TUITION BENEFITS. The difference in the amounts provided for tuition pursuant to the Montgomery G.I. Bill, any other VA Educational Benefits, any student grant or scholarship, Active Duty Tuition Assistance Program and the Alabama National Guard Education Assistance Program, or where no other tuition benefit is available, the full amount of tuition. Title IV Financial Aid application must be filed and Student Aid Report submitted to an institution's Financial Aid Office prior to the student's registration.
(Acts 1993, No. 93-652, p. 1126, §1; Acts 1993, 1st Ex. Sess., No. 93-910, p. 207, §1(1).)