The steering committee shall perform each of the following duties:
(1) Seek methods to improve participation in two-year and four-year postsecondary education.
(2) Seek methods to improve high school retention.
(3) Encourage the State Board of Education and local boards of education to adopt courses of study that prepare students for two-year and four-year technical, vocational, and academic programs.
(4) Organize and supervise local groups to perform each of the following functions:
a. Encourage participation in two-year and four-year postsecondary education.
b. Improve high school retention.
c. Encourage the adoption by the local board of education of two-year and four-year postsecondary education preparatory courses of study.
d. Provide tutorial, counseling, and other educational assistance to local junior and senior high school students.
(5) Advise the Alabama Commission on Higher Education regarding the operation of the Postsecondary Education Communication Center established in Section 16-5-32.
(Acts 1993, No. 93-369, p. 630, §2.)