Section 37-10-3Powers of State Department of Transportation generally.
The department is hereby authorized to exercise those powers necessary for the state to qualify for rail service continuation subsidies and for rail safety subsidies which are or may become available pursuant to the provisions and regulations of the Federal Railroad Revitalization and Regulatory Reform Act of 1976 and any subsequent federal legislation, rules or regulations, including, but not limited to, the authority:
(1) To establish a state plan for rail transportation services as part of an overall plan for all transportation services in the state;
(2) To administer and coordinate the state plan;
(3) To provide in the plan for the equitable distribution of federal rail service continuation subsidies;
(4) To promote, supervise and support safe, adequate and efficient rail service;
(5) To employ sufficient trained and qualified personnel for these purposes;
(6) To maintain adequate programs of investigation, research, promotion and development in connection with such purposes and to provide for public participation therein;
(7) To reduce transportation related energy utilization and pollution in compliance with state and federal regulations;
(8) To provide satisfactory assurances on behalf of the state that such financial control and fund accounting procedures will be adopted by the state as may be necessary to assure proper use of federal funds paid to the state as rail service continuation subsidies;
(9) To comply with the regulations of the Federal Department of Transportation affecting federal rail service continuation programs; and
(10) To do all things necessary to maximize federal assistance to the state upon the provisions of Section 5 of the Federal Department of Transportation Act.
(Acts 1976, No. 307, p. 340, §3.)