Section 41-9-44Powers of council generally; liability upon debts or obligations incurred by council.
(a) The council is hereby authorized and empowered:
(1) To hold public and private hearings;
(2) To enter into contracts, within the limits of funds available therefor, with individuals, organizations and institutions, for services furthering the educational objectives of the council's program;
(3) To enter into contracts, within the limit of funds available therefor, with local and regional associations, for cooperative endeavors furthering the educational objectives of the council's programs;
(4) To accept public or private gifts, grants, donations or bequests of unrestricted funds;
(5) To acquire real property by lease or gift but not by purchase;
(6) To renovate, furnish and maintain such real property and to lease or sublease the same;
(7) To allocate and expend funds from all donations, income and revenue from any source whatsoever coming into the Treasury, for the fulfillment and accomplishment of the objectives for which the council was created;
(8) To make and sign any agreements and to do and perform any acts that may be necessary to carry out the purposes of this article.
(b) All debts or obligations incurred by the council shall be solely and exclusively obligations of the council and shall not create an obligation of the State of Alabama or of any county or municipality.
(Acts 1967, No. 551, p. 1300, §6; Acts 1969, No. 1065, p. 1986, §3.)