STILLE-DEROSSETT-HALE SINGLE STATE CONSTRUCTION CODE ACT (EXCERPT)
Act 230 of 1972
125.1505 Powers of commission.
(1) The commission has all powers necessary or convenient to carry out and effectuate the purposes and provisions of this act, including, without limitation, the powers hereinafter set forth.
(2) The commission may sue and be sued; have a seal and alter it; make and execute contracts and other instruments; and adopt, amend and rescind bylaws for its organization and internal management.
(3) The commission may promulgate, amend and rescind rules necessary, desirable or proper to carry out its powers and duties under this act and relating to the administration and enforcement of the code by enforcing agencies and relating to the qualifications and licensing of persons making inspections provided for under this act.
(4) The commission may encourage, support or conduct, either by itself or in cooperation with enforcing agencies, associations of building code officials, or any other persons, educational and training programs for employees, agents and inspectors of enforcing agencies.
(5) The commission may study the effect of the code, and other related laws, to ascertain their effect on the cost of building construction and maintenance, and the effectiveness of their provisions for insuring the health, safety and welfare of the people of this state.
(6) The commission may determine after testing and evaluation whether a material, product, method of manufacture or method of construction or installation is acceptable under the code; issue certificates of such acceptability; and establish procedures for the testing of such devices, materials, fixtures, methods, systems or processes, including contracting with an existing testing laboratory for such testing.
(7) The commission may take testimony and hold hearings relating to any aspect or matter relative to the administration or enforcement of this act. In the enforcement of this act, it may issue subpoenas to compel the attendance of witnesses and the production of evidence. The commission may designate 1 or more or its members or employees to hold public hearings and report thereon to the commission.
History: 1972, Act 230, Eff. Jan. 1, 1973
Compiler's Notes: In the last sentence of subsection (7), the phrase “1 or more or its members” should evidently read “1 or more of its members.”
Popular Name: Act 230
Popular Name: Uniform Construction Code
Admin Rule: R 408.30101 et seq. of the Michigan Administrative Code.
© 2015 Legislative Council, State of Michigan