Section 34-41-7Applicability; exemptions.
(a) Except as provided in this section, any person who publicly practices, or offers or attempts to publicly practice, geology in the State of Alabama is subject to this chapter.
(b) The following persons are exempt from licensing under this chapter:
(1) Persons engaged solely in teaching of geology or related physical or natural sciences, and persons engaged solely in geologic research conducted through academic institutions, agencies, or government and nonprofit research organizations.
(2) Officers and employees of the United States of America and the State of Alabama practicing solely as officers and employees.
(3) Officers and employees of businesses and industries practicing solely as officers and employees, and individuals if they do not offer their professional services to the public for hire and are not engaged in activities that require the signature of a licensed professional geologist.
(4) Officers and employees of companies and corporations practicing solely as such officers and employees who work as a sole proprietorship in mining and mineral exploration and development and who do not offer their professional services to the public for hire or who are not engaged in activities that require the signature of a licensed professional geologist.
(5) Officers and employees of companies and corporations and individuals who work as a sole proprietorship in oil and/or gas exploration and development.
(6) A person who is subordinate to a licensed professional geologist or who is a geologist-in-training licensed under this chapter but only insofar as he or she acts solely in that capacity. This exemption does not permit the subordinate to practice geology or use the term "licensed professional geologist."
(Acts 1995, No. 95-399, p. 820, §7.)