Section 32-8-35Application for first certificate.
(a) The application for the first certificate of title of a vehicle in this state shall be made by the owner to a designated agent, on the form the department prescribes, and shall contain all of the following:
(1) The name, current residence, and mailing address of the owner.
(2) A description of the vehicle including the following data: Year, make, model, vehicle identification number, type of body, the number of cylinders, color, and whether new or used.
(3) The date of purchase by applicant, the name and address of the person from whom the vehicle was acquired, and the names and addresses of any lienholders in the order of their priority and the dates of their security agreements.
(4) Other information that the department may require.
(b) If the application is for a vehicle purchased from a dealer, it shall contain the name and address of any lienholder holding a security interest created or reserved at the time of the sale and the date of the security agreement and shall be signed by the designated agent as well as the owner, and the designated agent shall forward the application to the department in a manner prescribed by the department.
(c) If the application is for a new vehicle, it shall be accompanied by the certified manufacturer's statement of origin showing proper assignments to the applicant. The manufacturer upon the shipment of a motor vehicle into this state shall forthwith furnish the dealer with a certified statement of origin.
(d) Each application shall contain or be accompanied by the certificate of a designated agent that the vehicle has been physically inspected by the agent, that the vehicle identification number and descriptive data shown on the application, pursuant to the requirements of subsection (a)(2), are correct, and that the agent identified the person signing the application and witnessed the signature.
(e) If the application is for a first certificate of title on a vehicle other than a new vehicle, then the application shall conform with the requirements of this section; except, that in lieu of the manufacturer's statement of origin, the application shall be accompanied by a copy of the notarized bill of sale of the motor vehicle whereby the applicant claims title or in lieu thereof certified copies of the last two years' license tag and tax receipts and any other information the department may reasonably require to identify the vehicle and to enable the department to determine the ownership of the vehicle and the existence or nonexistence of security interests in it.
(f) If the application refers to a vehicle last previously registered in another state or country, the application shall contain or be accompanied by the following:
(1) Any certificate of title issued by the other state or country.
(2) Any other information and documents as the department may reasonably require to establish the ownership of the vehicle and the existence or nonexistence of security interests in it.
(3) The certificate of a designated agent that the vehicle has been physically inspected by him or her, that the vehicle identification number and descriptive data shown on the application pursuant to subsection (a)(2) are correct, and any other proof of the identity of the vehicle as the department may reasonably require.
(g) Every designated agent, within 10 calendar days after an application is received by him or her, shall forward to the department, in a manner as prescribed by the department, the fee as provided in Section 32-8-6, and the application, along with any other evidence of title as may have been delivered to the designated agent by the applicant.
(Acts 1973, No. 765, p. 1147, §5; Acts 1977, No. 252, p. 329, §1; Act 2003-345, p. 870, §1; Act 2005-322, 1st Sp. Sess., p. 784, §1; Act 2009-281, p. 472, §1; Act 2009-746, p. 2236, §2.)