MUNICIPAL FIRE INSURANCE RATE CLASSIFICATION ADVISORY BOARD (EXCERPT)
Act 340 of 1976
***** Act 340 of 1976 EXPIRED DECEMBER 31, 1982, PURSUANT TO § 28.656. ON DECEMBER 31, 1982, THIS SECTION WAS AMENDED BY ACT 494 OF 1982, EFFECTIVE MARCH 30, 1983 *****
28.652 Municipal fire service classification board; creation; appointment, qualifications, and terms of members; vacancy; election of chairperson; meetings; compensation and expenses; staff; quorum; passing on question, action, or business; conducting business at public meeting; notice; minutes; record; availability of writing to public; rules.
(1) There is created within the fire marshal division of the department of state police a municipal fire service classification board. The board shall have 11 members. One member shall be the director of the department of state police, or his or her designated representative. One member shall be the director of public health or his or her designated representative. One member shall be appointed by the governor upon the recommendation of the Michigan fire chiefs association. One member shall be appointed by the governor upon the recommendation of the Michigan fire inspectors society. One member shall be appointed by the governor upon the recommendation of the Michigan state fireman's association. One member shall be appointed by the governor upon the recommendation of the Michigan state fire fighter's union. One member shall be appointed by the governor to represent incorporated cities and villages. One member shall be appointed by the governor to represent township government. One member shall be appointed by the governor to represent the general public, and 2 members shall be appointed by the governor to represent the fire insurance industry. At least 1 of the members of the board shall be a member of a rural volunteer fire department. All appointments by the governor shall be by and with the advice and consent of the senate. Appointed members shall be appointed for terms of 4 years. A vacancy on the board shall be filled in the same manner as the original appointment for the remainder of the unexpired term.
(2) Annually the board shall elect a chairperson from its membership. The board shall meet not less than 4 times each year. Special meetings may be called by the chairperson, or upon written request of not less than 5 board members. Meetings shall be held at a location designated by the chairperson.
(3) The per diem compensation for members of the board and the schedule for reimbursement of expenses shall be established annually by the legislature.
(4) The board may employ a staff to assist it in the performance of its duties, subject to civil service rules and within fiscal restraints.
(5) A majority of the members appointed to and serving on the board constitutes a quorum. A majority vote of the members voting shall be required to pass upon any question, action, or business of the board except that a hearing of a contested case may be conducted in the presence of 3 board members. The 3 board members, after hearing the facts and considering the evidence and testimony, shall recommend to the board action to be taken by the board.
(6) The business performed by the board shall be conducted at a public meeting of the board held in compliance with Act No. 267 of the Public Acts of 1976, as amended, being sections 15.261 to 15.275 of the Michigan Compiled Laws. Public notice of the time, date, and place of the meeting shall be given in the manner required by Act No. 267 of the Public Acts of 1976, as amended.
(7) The board shall keep minutes of its proceedings, showing the vote of each member on each proposition or question, or indicating if a member is absent or fails to vote. A record of board action and business shall be made and maintained.
(8) A writing prepared, owned, used, in the possession of, or retained by the board in the performance of an official function shall be made available to the public in compliance with Act No. 442 of the Public Acts of 1976, as amended, being sections 15.231 to 15.246 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.
(9) Rules promulgated under this act shall be promulgated pursuant to Act No. 306 of the Public Acts of 1969, as amended, being sections 24.201 to 24.315 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.
History: 1976, Act 340, Imd. Eff. Dec. 15, 1976
Am. 1982, Act 494, Eff. Mar. 30, 1983
Compiler's Notes: Act 340 of 1976 expired December 31, 1982, pursuant to MCL 28.656, as amended by Act 20 of 1979. On December 31, 1982, this section was amended by Act 494 of 1982, effective March 30, 1983.
© 2015 Legislative Council, State of Michigan