Section 45-35A-51.02Unclassified service.
(a) The following named officials, persons and agencies of the city shall constitute the unclassified service:
(1) Officers elected by popular vote and their successors in office.
(2) Principals, supervisors, teachers, and instructors, engaged in supervising or teaching in the public schools, and all employees of the city board of education.
(3) The personnel director provided for by this part.
(4) Independent contractors receiving their remuneration from public funds under contract awarded by competitive bidding.
(5) Common or temporary laborers, school crossing guards, and seasonal recreation employees.
(6) Attorneys, physicians, surgeons, and dentists employed in their professional capacities.
(7) The judge of any municipal court.
(8) Members of boards who are not employed on a full-time basis and not required to devote their entire service to the city.
(9) Department heads consisting of but not limited to all of the following:
a. The city manager as the administrative head of the municipal government.
b. The city clerk-treasurer in charge of the administrative department.
c. The city engineer in charge of the engineering department.
d. The electrical superintendent in charge of the electrical department.
e. The fire chief.
f. The chief of police.
g. The superintendent of recreation.
h. The superintendent of sanitation.
i. The superintendent of streets.
j. The superintendent of water.
k. The heads of such other functional departments that may be established or created to provide services required in the efficient and effective administration and operation of the municipal government, and to meet requirements imposed by state or federal regulations and rules whether such new department is created by the abolition of an existing department or departments, the consolidation of two or more departments into one department or by the creation of a completely new department or departments.
(b) Any proposed increase or decrease in the number of departments shall be initiated by the governing body and shall become effective when approved by the personnel board.
(Acts 1947, No 273, p. 196, §3; Acts 1949, No. 330, p. 489, §1; Acts 1965, 2nd Sp. Sess., No. 20, p. 30, §2; Acts 1978, No. 632, p. 895, §1; Act 92-442, p. 876, §1.)